Heroic Blade lord

51 Draenei Shaman
Here is a link to a kill. I notice the spriest gets targeted for unseen strike every time his disperse is off cd. Is this just crazy RNG or is it cheese of some sort?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1ee3srkrhjantq5y/spell/122994/?s=9113&e=9583
Reply Quote
51 Night Elf Druid
Basically it went:
1st US on SP, easy mode
2nd US on whole raid (SP dispersion on CD)
3rd US on SP, easy mode
4th US on whole raid (SP dispersion on CD)
5th US on SP, easy mode

Now the chances of the shadow priest getting every other unseen strike by chance is 0.00081. Not impossible, but quite interesting.
Reply Quote
51 Night Elf Druid
guess no one knows anything
Reply Quote
51 Draenei Shaman
I guess not :(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Sample size of one pull is not enough to prove anything. Also, the idea that blizzard programmed the boss to target your priest WHEN disperse is off cd is hilarious.
Reply Quote
51 Night Elf Druid
12/05/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Xiic
Sample size of one pull is not enough to prove anything. Also, the idea that blizzard programmed the boss to target your priest WHEN disperse is off cd is hilarious.

I'm not suggesting blizzard programmed the boss to do this. Rather I'm wondering if there is a way to get this to happen. The probability that a pull would occur in this fashion (the best possible) based on random chance is 0.00081. Not out of the realm of possibility, but a little fishy.
Edited by Purrfection on 12/5/2012 3:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
you're right, the chance of that happening is 0.081% or 1 in 1234 groups (which isn't exactly low) will see a similar arrangement that you guys saw. It might not be a shadow priest, but that is completely irrelevant. 1 out of 1234 times, you will see this happen to a group, it just might not be with a shadow priest.

The fallacy you are making is that you are using after the event to make incorrect conclusions on how it works. You can go through other logs and see that this type of things occurs (I am more than positive you will see it happen), but it just is not with a shadow priest. It just happened to be one in your specific case. Its just an example of post hoc application of statistics.
Reply Quote
51 Night Elf Druid
you're right, the chance of that happening is 0.081% or 1 in 1234 groups (which isn't exactly low) will see a similar arrangement that you guys saw. It might not be a shadow priest, but that is completely irrelevant. 1 out of 1234 times, you will see this happen to a group, it just might not be with a shadow priest.

The fallacy you are making is that you are using after the event to make incorrect conclusions on how it works. You can go through other logs and see that this type of things occurs (I am more than positive you will see it happen), but it just is not with a shadow priest. It just happened to be one in your specific case. Its just an example of post hoc application of statistics.

This didn't happen to our group, and I'm not claiming the pull as evidence of how the mechanic works.

The point of this post was to find out if anyone knows of mechanics, creative or otherwise, that can be used to bias the target of unseen strike towards a desired person.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
I don't think the fight is hard enough for anyone who is working on it to try and figure out ways to cheese the mechanic to be quite honest.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
Complete RNG
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
That was the point of my post (though I didn't realize it wasn't your group since I didn't go to the actual log). We can draw these types of statistics all the time from almost every encounter in wow and almost each and every parse, but we only openly recognize them or when something beneficial or interesting like what you described occurs (such as, a shadow priest being able to trivialize the encounter).

There is no way to bias it to a certain character being targeted. If there was, you would hear about somewhere by now since its been out for at least a month or so.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]