Healing Shields

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm currently running through MV Heroic and am healing with a Disc Priest. Obviously from what I have read and seen Disc is very strong right now and their shields are destroying in healing. My question deals with how shields stack in priority? Is it by who gets their shield on first or some kind of spell priority? I haven't been able to find anything explaining this and would like to know as it would help min/max our grp healing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Shields break in accordance to priority:
Type: Smaller before Larger
General: Smaller before Larger

So, lets say you are healing a DK, he has a Blood Shield for 10k, you put an Illuminated Healing on him for 20k, your priest puts a PW:S on him for 50k(arbitrary amount), already had a Spirit Shell on him for 25k and a Divine Aegis for 15k.

He is hit with a 150k melee hit:
Blood Shield takes 10k off it, then Divine Aegis takes a further 15k off, then Illuminated Healing takes 20k off, then Spirit Shell takes 25k off, and finally PW:S takes 50k off; the DK takes a 35k hit.
Or, he is hit with a magic hit for 150k:
Divine Aegis takes 15k off, Illuminated Healing takes 20k off, Spirit Shell takes 25k off, and finally PW:S takes 50k off; Blood Shield is unaffected, he takes a 45k hit.
Or, he is hit with a 50k melee hit:
Blood Shield takes 10k off it, then Divine Aegis takes a further 15k off, then Illuminated Healing takes 15k off; Spirit Shell and PW:S are unaffected, all damage negated.

The shields break first based off specific damage type(Physical, Fire, Shadow, etc.) first, then based off the size of the absorption effects on the target, always breaking the smallest ones first.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok thank you for the info, I believe that should help at least as seeing where heals or shields are needed.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Shields break in accordance to priority:
Type: Smaller before Larger
General: Smaller before Larger

So, lets say you are healing a DK, he has a Blood Shield for 10k, you put an Illuminated Healing on him for 20k, your priest puts a PW:S on him for 50k(arbitrary amount), already had a Spirit Shell on him for 25k and a Divine Aegis for 15k.

He is hit with a 150k melee hit:
Blood Shield takes 10k off it, then Divine Aegis takes a further 15k off, then Illuminated Healing takes 20k off, then Spirit Shell takes 25k off, and finally PW:S takes 50k off; the DK takes a 35k hit.
Or, he is hit with a magic hit for 150k:
Divine Aegis takes 15k off, Illuminated Healing takes 20k off, Spirit Shell takes 25k off, and finally PW:S takes 50k off; Blood Shield is unaffected, he takes a 45k hit.
Or, he is hit with a 50k melee hit:
Blood Shield takes 10k off it, then Divine Aegis takes a further 15k off, then Illuminated Healing takes 15k off; Spirit Shell and PW:S are unaffected, all damage negated.

The shields break first based off specific damage type(Physical, Fire, Shadow, etc.) first, then based off the size of the absorption effects on the target, always breaking the smallest ones first.

Thank you sir, this is great info!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
nice that would explain why I will sometimes have more absorbs than a disc priest in a given encounter....lots of small shields over a few big ones
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
good info bherwolfe, did you get that from looking at logs some time recently, or somewhere else?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This came up recently in the priest forum, and I said I thought they were consumed smallest to largest, and someone else said, no, it's order of application, first to last. Definitely curious to know the answer to this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I thought I remember reading in pre-mop discussion of mage talents that certain shields take priority over others. It was either a blue post or a mop ptr update specifically addressing moving Incanter's Ward to the top of the absorb priority because of the dps maintenance cooldown associated with it.

I also raided on a disc priest in cata, and remember some kind of discussion of PW:S having higher priority than aegis/other absorbs because of the necessity of the associated rapture proc.

Couldn't say as fact that's how it works now, and I haven't even taken my disc priest to 90 yet so I'm not invested enough to research it, but I still think some absorbs probably have priority over others.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]