Feral Tanking help

90 Tauren Druid
Hey guys. I've been raiding MV alongside a pally tank with the same ilvl with my guild. Currently, I am 472 ilvl

Base unbuffed stats:
521k health
Hit% 5.76
Expertise 4.37
Crit 31.75
Base dodge: 12.72
Armor in bear: 85,100

The stat priority i was pointed to was:

Stamina >= Agility > Melee Hit (7.5%) = Expertise (7.5%) > Crit >= Haste > Mastery > Dodge

On most bosses, the healers have been telling me i get pounded on way more than the pally. I have reforged mostly into mostly mastery and into crit. I am gemmed mostly agility and mastery gems. I have seen a few bear tanks gem all crit, but I thought that was a bit extreme. I understand the key is keeping Savage Defense up, and right now without the help of Enrage, i try to keep bleeds on as many targets as possible and i mangle every time its up, and i have about 3-4 seconds between each time SD wears off and when i am able to press SD again, leaving me with a lowly 12% dodge.. Not sure if my rage gen is too slow and i need to fix my stats? or if thats by design, or if bears are not in a great spot right now?

Also, I've been trying to see what the new Maul does with Tooth and Nail, but that seems to detract away from the rage i need to maintain SD as well so I think it's not worth using, at least situationally.. Maybe i just need to L2P. Any advice appreciated. =)
Edited by Spinescraper on 12/5/2012 9:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm not back into tanking full time but just an FYI empowered maul isn't something you should be worrying about, it's (from my understanding) basically last on the totem poll. Never hit maul if you need SD/FR instead. Basically you use it if you're pooling rage for a big hit inc, or a period you need to dodge (eg: Spirit Kings in between combos) -- eg getting to 100 rage and then using it on maul so as to not waste rage. Or whatever. You're going to end up procing Empowered Maul much much more often then you'll use it, at least right now.

Are you using frenzied regen at all either? You don't mention that, but that's important to use especially on fights with bleeds (Stone Guardians eg) or high magic damage, as dodge isn't doing much there.

Stacking crit is specifically to generate as much rage as possible so you can use SD/FR as much as possible -- I'm actually looking forward to gearing out in a bunch of crit gems; I bet I end up with more bear crit than kitty crit heh.
Edited by Zheet on 12/5/2012 10:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/05/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Spinescraper
Any advice appreciated. =)

Gemming Agility is a waste of time. Secondary stat gems (since you get twice as much) are way better.

Stamina/Dodge/Mastery trinkets aren't as effective for normals as Crit/Hit/Haste/Exp trinkets. The extra Stamina is pretty worthless, and you need the Rage income to sustain SD/FR.

Don't bother reforging for Mastery unless/until you need the EH - which won't happen until heroic modes.

Avoid T&C until you have enough Rage income to sustain SD when you use it. T&C won't help you on fights where you need to be using FR, and FR's RPS cap is way higher.

Need more specific info on which fights you're having problems with.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I understand the difference between magic dmg and physical dmg SD vs FR..
Basically just having problems keeping rage i guess...
Reply Quote
88 Orc Death Knight
Are your hits landing? Try gemming/reforging to the caps. I think crit also helps with rage generation.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I just did reforging to the caps and going crit! On the test dummie boss in Orgrimmar I was close to "capping" sd.... as in, i was sitting on 0 charges a handful of times waiting for it to be able to refresh, or able to press it right when i had enough rage before previous wore off, over about 60 seconds.
Edited by Spinescraper on 12/6/2012 8:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/06/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Spinescraper
I just did reforging to the caps and going crit! On the test dummie boss in Orgrimmar I was close to "capping" sd.... as in, i was sitting on 0 charges a handful of times waiting for it to be able to refresh, or able to press it right when i had enough rage before previous wore off, over about 60 seconds.

That's good.

Now if you are actually tanking something you use that "extra" Rage to heal yourself (if you need it) or T&C for even more mitigation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]