Newbie Pet Battler LF Advice :).

85 Blood Elf Mage
So, I'm looking to start doing this.

So far I know very little about it, but I like my phoenix hatchling and oxyxian whelping (deep breath just sounds too cool)

One of my guildies recommends I get a Fluxfire Feline as the 3rd.

Decent sounding comp? Crap?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Pretty crap, but as you advance you'll learn more. Use the guides on wowhead etc.

Have fun.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Specifically why?

I've looked around for guides, and aside from very basic ones they don't seem amazingly common.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Ah, Don't listen to crimson, he can be catty.

The comp is not that bad.

Having a mechanical will definitely make wild pets easier to deal with since a large chuck of them are beast. Your phoenix has a similar move set to a fel flame, which is one of the better pets out there. Ony whelp is a decent pet in itself with tail sweep and a self heal. Fluxfire feline is a beast with the right stats.

The team is decent and would get you pretty far before you need to pick up some other pet families.
Edited by Visage on 12/5/2012 10:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Also, don't bother leveling pets other than rare quality pets for your first 3-5 pets. You will need pets that can compete with higher level trainer pets. Most uncommon and lower quality pets will not have enough raw stats to hold their own.
Edited by Visage on 12/5/2012 10:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
12/05/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Visage
Also, don't bother leveling pets other than rare quality pets for your first 3-5 pets. You will need pets that can compete with higher level trainer pets. Most uncommon and lower quality pets will not have enough raw stats to hold their own

Thanks matey :).

Going to farm up a rare Fluxfire if I can tonight (or maybe just snag an uncommon and wait for a stone?).

Sounds like something fun to keep me busy for a while.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Sorrów
Also, don't bother leveling pets other than rare quality pets for your first 3-5 pets. You will need pets that can compete with higher level trainer pets. Most uncommon and lower quality pets will not have enough raw stats to hold their own

Thanks matey :).

Going to farm up a rare Fluxfire if I can tonight (or maybe just snag an uncommon and wait for a stone?).

Sounds like something fun to keep me busy for a while.

NP =)

Create lvl 1 gnomes on low population realms, there are always 2-3 fluxfire felines hanging around the gnome starting area.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
A couple of things to keep in mind:
What's your goal with pet battles? Do you want to catch 'em all (my personal goal)? Do you want to be the very best (at pvp)? Do you have a specific collection type you're going for (one of every type, only collecting rare qualities, only collecting specific breeds, only collecting specific coats)?

The reason I ask is because PvE (wild pets, NPC tamers) and PvP have different stategies. PvE is easier in the fighting, since you pretty much know what the fights are going to be but requires more patience if you're trying to collect a specific rare breed of every type. PvP is just like PvP in game - you don't know what comp you're going to be facing against.

I can't speak for PvP - I have yet to do a single match (and possibly may never do any). However, there are a ton of comp threads in this forum, with a lot of knowledgeable and passionate people.

For PvE - well, there's several places to go for that. In the FAQs, Links, Macros, and Addons sticky there are several links to places like Wowhead and Warcraftpets, both of which are wonderful resources for where to find pets, how to counter tamers, etc. I also highly recommend taking a look at the addon section - several addons make finding and keeping track of your collection much easier than with the standard UI.

I also recommend having a selection of pet types. I personally leveled a beast and mechanical up right away, because you find so many critters (beasts are strong against) and beasts (mechanicals are strong against) in the wild.

I cannot recommend picking up a Terrible Turnip enough. Turnips are the only pet to have the WoW equivalent of "False Swipe" - Weakening Blow, which will never kill a pet but only leave it with 1 HP. Without a Turnip, you play the "Don't Crit, Don't Crit, Don't Crit" game - which isn't fun.

Finally, have fun (sometimes I have trouble with this one). There's a metric ton of pets available in the game right now. Most of them are easy to find. Others are awful and make you want to gnash your teeth (Silithid Hatchling, I'm looking at you). With the complications of long spawn timers, intense camping by other people, and CRZs, frustration can mount very quickly. Take a deep breath and remind yourself, it's just a game and this is supposed to be fun. Then look at your collection and smile at what you've already gotten.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful addic...world of pet collecting/battling!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
If you are just starting in level a team that will do well versus what you will be fighting the most of in the wild. That would be critters and beast. For the same reason try to avoid using undead until you have some more experience with pet battling. Good luck in your endeavors.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I am glad I printed out one of the cheat sheets that show you which types are strong or weak against which other types. Also, pay attention to the type of attack an individual pet does, as it is not necessarily the same type as the pet itself.

Spawn of onyxia (I believe same move set as your whelpling) was one of my first pets and it is awesome for a lot if battles and for lvling/catching new pets.

ETA: I have been very happy with my dark moon zep as a mechanical. I finally had to lvl a mechanical for a pet tamer and the zep has been great for some of the tougher tamers. Plus, it is good for lvling other pets because it can do a large amount if damage and blow itself up (yay) so the xp gets funneled to your lower pet.

I am also now lvling a yeti for a specific trainer. I think one of the spirits, but I'd have to actually go look it up to remember.
Edited by Trillium on 12/6/2012 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
They called me catty hearus D: :3~. Twas a short post in passing, meow apologies.

I advise levelling at least one of each type alongside your main team (avoiding stables means you should have about 3 teams to outlast the healing CD). It will save you oodles of frustration when encountering trainer pets that destroy elementals and mechanicals in Pandaria.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
step 1: level pets you like the best

step 2: learn why those pets aren't the best (for battle)

step 3: level the bet pets (for battle)
Reply Quote
So... I'm wondering, is it worthwhile to use my stone that will upgrade a pet to rate quality on my baby blizzard bear? or is there something I should be using it for instead? (I believe the one I have works on all types) also, is there a pet I should run out and find soonish rather than getting my current team to 25?

I didn't want to make a new thread just for this subject...

btw, my current team is baby blizzard bear(6), Mini Thor(7), Core Hound pup(6).
Edited by Mishru on 12/6/2012 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
You will want to use a stone on him at some point anyways so go for it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks for all the advice. Got an Uncommon S/S type Fluxfire last night, will upgrade once I get a stone.

The reason I like my Phoenix/Onyxian combo is for conflag. Is there a better 'burn applier' or suggestions for a 3rd slot?

As for my goals...uhm, first get my Tamer title and then probably PvP.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Also, are stones applied retroactively? Like is there any benefit to leaving a pet at level one and upgrading when you get a stone as opposed to upgrading it later?
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Sorrów
Also, are stones applied retroactively? Like is there any benefit to leaving a pet at level one and upgrading when you get a stone as opposed to upgrading it later?

The only difference in rarity is the multiplier in stats. Past and future levels don't matter. However, stones reduce your pet's levels by 2 unless they're below 15, so I suggest using said stone ASAP (less exp/battles to level it from 18+ than 23+)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]