For some reason I seem to hit more tanking?

78 Blood Elf Paladin
I tried out all of the specs for Paladin and it seems I hit 3 times more using prot pally instead of ret. Why is this?
Reply Quote
78 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh and this is in dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Because at lower levels tanks do more of their tanking through vengeance, which bumps up their attack power as they're getting hit. Tanking specs will usually outdamage others early on in levels. When you get higher up and DPS characters have more of their abilities they will start out damaging tanks.
Edited by Monmonn on 12/6/2012 12:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Even at 90, in fights with lots of adds, a tank can sometimes out-DPS all the damage dealers due to Vengeance stacks.

Prot also gets a lot of its major rotation/threat abilities early; Ret's damage is built aroudn a self buff (Inquisition) that they don't get until 81.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Prot Paladins also have a lot of AoE attacks which really boosts their overall DPS numbers in Recount/Skada, not to mention you are (should be) the first one to attack so you get a bit of a head start. Also what Monmonn and Honorata said about Vengeance.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Honorata
Even at 90, in fights with lots of adds, a tank can sometimes out-DPS all the damage dealers due to Vengeance stacks.

Just last night I was in a LFR for Heart of Fear(Tanking), and during the trash pulls before Garalon, I pulled 2 packs of mobs at once, and my DPS peaked at about 178,000 during the fight, and dropped down to about 140,000 DPS by the end of the pull. I topped those charts by a huge margin over the DPS who was in second place on that pull.

Most tanking abilities were changed when MOP came out, and abilities that used to have threat modifiers to increase threat generation, had those removed. Now in MOP tanks get their threat by doing high amounts of damage, instead of low damage with high threat modifiers. So now, Damage IS Threat, whereas before that was not the case when each ability had a threat modifier that increased how much threat was generated but was not really tied to how much damage the tank did, but rather whether the ability hit or not.
Edited by Baloo on 12/6/2012 12:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]