Guild bank ethics

90 Draenei Death Knight
I am curious, in order to be a fair and just guild, and respected guild, what sort of rules would you set for the gbank? Technically a GM could take all the gold they want, without having to explain to other guildies but that doesn't make it necessarily "right" does it? What limits/rules would am good GM set for their gbank? I'm talking about one with lots of money in it btw, 50k+.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I think it might depend on the size of the guild and how much income is coming in and what it is doing? Good income coming in? Offer repairs. Raiding - offering flasks, food and repairs (which can be high during progession) for raid. Never give access to newbies as it allows you to be used.Looking at the balance is not a good idea as it can go real quick and who knows how that income got there. Some guides sell receipes drop in raids to fund raiding mats. Do you want higher ranks to get more priviledges and higher access for a reward for their hard work/contribution? Are you social and create events for people to win and need funds in there for prizes? Then you might not be able to afford repairs. See all these things determine what and how one set their Gb rules.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
What type of guild are you? What items in your bank support your guild goals?

My guild raids, so each of our tabs has a function. We have tabs for meat and fish, enchanting mats, crafting supplies, potions/elixirs/flasks, gems, crafted gear, even pets. The majority of our bank is filled with items designed to help out our raiding members, therefore, raiding members are allowed several stacks per day. Some items are in officer-only tabs - those items used to be/are BoE epics that dropped in raids, epic crafting patterns, blood spirits, etc., - things we don't want just anyone to be able to snag. Repairs are always turned on - haven't been off since the last day of WotLK - and raiders+ can withdraw a few hundred gold a day (they don't, which is why I never bothered to reduce that amount.) I can get away with allowing my members so much access because I trust them, I've been playing with most of these people for years, across multiple expansions. However, anyone new to the guild has zero bank access; they can't even view the tabs. But we haven't had anyone new in over a year, so I don't really worry much about it.

I think the best way to be fair is to protect the investments of your long-standing members, but also to remember, never donate anything to the guild bank that you don't want people to actually take. And if you feel certain items need to be protected, then keep them in a deposit-only tab, or an officer-only tab for safe-keeping.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
For me, the gm is a manager of the guild, including the funds. You manage the gold for the benefit of the guild as a whole, to support the guild's purpose.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/06/2012 01:11 AMPosted by Nebliina
For me, the gm is a manager of the guild, including the funds. You manage the gold for the benefit of the guild as a whole, to support the guild's purpose.

It seems to the be the case, that if the guild bank saved up over 100k through other guildies hard work and contributions, the GM could technically just take the gold and run off. It's good that many people don't see GM's as dictators like this.

It's hard not to take out gold from one of my guilds banks from time to time, because of a mount i really really want, but as I helped level the guild from doing constantly dailies over and over in order to level the guild (and the loot goes into the guild from the banking perk) I felt I had the right to sometimes do that. Perhaps others should get such rewards, based on their total activity as well, so that's fair? Hmm, something to consider.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
12/06/2012 01:34 AMPosted by Eliil
It seems to the be the case, that if the guild bank saved up over 100k through other guildies hard work and contributions, the GM could technically just take the gold and run off. It's good that many people don't see GM's as dictators like this.

Sometimes they do...but hopefully not too often. Or sometimes a GM goes inactive, and an officer takes over the GM position and clears out the bank. Neither of which have happened to me personally, but I read about them on the forums.

Our guild currently uses a progression based access system. The higher your rank, the more bank access and repair allowance is. We have a tab that's available only to officers and above, and new members don't get access to the bank for a week.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm happy with the way my guild runs its bank.

Only the GM and officers have access to withdraw items from the bank. Other players can request items out, generally paying 50% of market value.

Raiding members receive 300g of repairs on raid days.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I GM'ed this guild for a while when our guild leader was absent.

I can't say I ever even considered the bank gold to be for my use, just as he didn't either.

I did borrow from it, and noted in the last tab notes as it was repaid. I did the same for other guildies as needed. And we never had an issue with repayment.

That way even the gold is available for conditional use - but it's transparent, and tracked - and even the GM is subject to the same rules for borrowing and returning it.

The items, yes, some are reserved on last tab - but mostly because, as others have said, there will always be SOMEONE that will make you regret being overgenerous. And officers are willing to pull items for others as needed. Just like mats are limited - but if someone is crafting an epic for another guildie, they can ask someone with access, and there are no issues granting the mats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]