Wild Pets and Capturing needs to change

81 Tauren Druid
The point of this post is that I think its unfair that one player can clear an entire zone of spawns preventing anyone from capturing the pet. Not only is it unfair, I think its bad game design.
Especially for rare spawns like the infamous Minfernal that only has a what? 8 hour spawn cycle? All it takes is one player to clear the whole area ruining it for everyone else.

This is what they should change -

1)Wild tamable pets should be a "green" NPC that cannot be attacked or killed.
2)If you flee from a battle the wild pet should not despawn and should still be on the map.

This would prevent one player clearing all the spawns leaving nothing for everyone else.
I understand that the main reason one player clears a whole area of spawns is because they are looking for a rare.
Just because one player wants a rare should not mean that everyone else gets nothing.
Now with pet stones easily available, its not that important to get a rare.
You can just upgrade it later.
Players should just have a choice of whatever rarity has spawned on the map at the time and not be able to clear a zone trying to get what they want. This way a couple lucky fast players will get the rares that spawned, but at least for those that dont care about rarity, they will get a chance at a pet of whatever quality for achievements and such.
What does everyone think?
Edited by Jinglebells on 12/6/2012 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
12/06/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Jinglebells
What does everyone think?

Rare hunters would still get rid of the others in hope of rare to spawn. Spawn rates being upped is a better solution in general. All your change does is make them have to battle them down, which if they had no other choice they would.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
In many cases it has nothing to do with how quick you are. If you are lucky and your realm comes up first you win. For a while I tried to be nice and offer up rare pets I don't need or harder to find pets that are not rare to the other horde in the area. Most of the time I'd get no answer so I'd kill the pet. If I did end up with someone eager to get the pet it was often someone who would open trade with me so I could give them the pet...which would be the beginning of a 5-10 min convo about how to find the battle pet screen and fight pets.

Anyhow the ideas you have sound fair. The system isn't currently fair. This game sacrafices fair in the name of time consuming more often than not. The only thing I would add is that the mass realm reset spawns stink and should be better regulated and distributed. It took me several weeks to find a scourged whelpling because I work Tuesdays.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
12/06/2012 10:24 AMPosted by Breathagain
The system isn't currently fair

You mean the first person there getting to be the first to use something is unfair? Curious.
Edited by Hearus on 12/6/2012 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
1)Wild tamable pets should be a "green" NPC that cannot be attacked or killed.
2)If you flee from a battle the wild pet should not despawn and should still be on the map.

Wild pets being killable adds risk to the game. Risk is necessary in this game. It adds frustration, yes, but also fun. Minfernals look really cool but there are a ton of really cool looking pets in game. The reason everyone complains about Minfernals and wants them is because they are rare. People care about stuff that is hard to get because getting it is rewarding. No matter how much complaining goes on in the process. The whole server reset thing was not cool but it's been fixed! Now they're just a very rare pet that everyone has a shot at.

Despawning pets can in many cases make more spawn. It's not always a bad thing. There are a variety of conditions under which wild pets spawn, many of which the player can have an affect on like Flayer Younglings and Wild Hatchlings. Putting out a blanket condition that forfeiting a battle shouldn't make the pets despawn ignores the many ways there are to actually get pets to spawn. And the benefits that despawning pets can have in some cases.

*Is killable even a word? If it's not it should be!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
CRZ crosses realms together. Lets say my realm comes up before your realm when there is a restart, but we share CRZ. I will clear out all the pets I see. You log in when you are first able, yet you have already missed your best weekly chance. You are penalized for being on the realm you are on.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I found the corpse of a Minfernal in the grimy grass of Felwood. I raised my eyes to the skies, fell to my knees and cried http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfoR8SbFhy8

That being said, the current pet trend is completely in line with Blizzards usual way of doing things. Not everyone gets a dungeon drop, it's a roll. Not everyone gets their way all the time and that adds interest and fun as Sesamee has asserted.

Having them out in the world avoids the unpleasant coincidence of ALL of Azeroth growing long grass, which is nice because parts of Azeroth have raptors. It allows people to go and look, and in some cases find, the pets they want to in an active and engaging sense. If CRZ was not enabled, it might be SLIGHTLY better, but not by much as every server has their Steve (rare hunters).

Getting a rare IS important. what was pet collection is also now part of pet battles ( necessary) and rarity is a factor in this as well as a HUGE factor in fighting them.

Killable is a word. If its wordness is revoked I will reword it to mean a label used for killing :D.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
12/06/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Breathagain
CRZ crosses realms together. Lets say my realm comes up before your realm when there is a restart, but we share CRZ. I will clear out all the pets I see. You log in when you are first able, yet you have already missed your best weekly chance. You are penalized for being on the realm you are on.

That weekly thing don't work like that any more.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Druid
If a player really wants to take the time and fight every pet battle to clear the map then at least that gives time for everyone else to try to get a chance at a pet as well.
This isnt a single player game. One player should not be the only one allowed to get pets. The current system is too quick and fast for one selfish player to clear the map.
the fact that clearing spawns increases chances of more spawns and other linked things like that only make the system worse encouraging players to clear everything.

I dont see any risk involved with pets being yellow NPC.
I have never even once accidently clicked and killed a pet. It can and does happen, but its not a risk. Its an accident.
I can see the point about drops being for just one person, but we are talking about a map full of multiple pets and one player getting all of them.

I agree my ideas may not be the perfect solution, but its better than what we have now.
Edited by Jinglebells on 12/6/2012 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
"Pet Stones being easily available"

LMFAO
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Why are these threads always blaming the other players instead of the devs? The game doesn't provide enough spawns for everyone. Blaming other players for not finding rare-spawn pets is like cursing out the people who managed to get past the door boss while you're running at the instance portal for 20 minutes being told 'additional instances can not be launched'.

12/06/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Jinglebells
Now with pet stones easily available

Since 5.1, I've found many more rares through battling than I've found stones. Battle stones are not a miracle cure.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Don't know if they made an additonal change this past week, but I can confirm for you that the week before I was home. I logged in within mins of my realm coming up. I was able to secure a rare giraffe from the barrens. If there has been a change to spawns being more likely at restart I missed that note.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
12/06/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Jinglebells
One player should not be the only one allowed to get pets

Why? What If I am standing in a field of rare spawns, cause trust me it happens. When server reset came this morning I was standing in a sea of arcane eyes and restless shadelings getting my daily done. Like said all you do is make it take longer for me to clear. But trust me if I was looking for rares of either of those I would have burnt through them before anyone else showed even with your change.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Druid

LMFAO

just do the daily quests for the pet bags.
I have gotten two stones from eight bags
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

Good for you. Were either of them for the magic family? I've gotten two out of over fourteen bags: one critter, and one mechanical. Meanwhile, out of about fourteen spawns of Lofty Librams and Arcane Eyes, I found two rares. I think the odds are slightly in favor of finding rares rather than getting stones.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB

LMFAO

You come from a very righteous place with as little pet battle experience as you have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I would burn through everyone of those mobs like I do now. Hell, most the time I don't even run anymore when rare hunting in hopes that I might get a stone from one of the more rare families. I went through 68 yeti spawns (killed most of them with level appropriate pets) before I found my rare.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Druid

You come from a very righteous place with as little pet battle experience as you have.

My battle experience has nothing to do with this post. Nice try at being a troll
Its still easy to get stones, you do dailies or battles. Its not hard doing the dailies. I agree the drop rate might be low but its still easy to do.
Increasing the drop rate of stones might be something else they need to change as well so that the rare pet hunters dont keep ruining it for everyone else.
Edited by Jinglebells on 12/6/2012 11:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
12/06/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Jinglebells
My battle experience has nothing to do with this post

yes it does. thinking you have an understanding of how things work when in fact you don't is rather large. Would you like an example.

Its still easy to get stones, you do dailies or battles.

No its not. Your rather large sample size isn't telling you what those of with more than double that many shots a day know is wrong. These things aren't dropping 1 in 4, not even close.

Increasing the drop rate of stones might be something else they need to change as well so that the rare pet hunters dont keep ruining it for everyone else

Or they could just increase the spawn rates of the pets themselves. Crazy I know.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Its still easy to get stones, you do dailies or battles.

I repeat: how many magic-family stones have you found? Unless the answer is three, (minfernal, arcane eye, lofty libram) then stop blaming the rare hunters because we're just doing what works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]