Just lvl 90 - boy, am I a terrible Warlock!!

100 Troll Warlock
So Pandaria comes out and I have a few lvl 85 characters to choose from. I decided I'd start with a warrior first, and then, having played melee my whole raiding WoW career, I switch gears: I'm going to level a caster this time and it's going to be my main. I have had this lock floating around since ICC days - played as Destruction - and hadn't really touched her since. I dust her off, log her in, swap to demo for super pet leveling action, and BAM - I was 90 in a jiffy.

I was in for a rude awakening. My "ability" as a warlock while leveling as Demonology did not translate well to lvl 90 dungeons, heroics, etc.. Surprise! Just getting to 90 does not make you a good player (lol.) My DPS is just terrible - comments from fellow group members are pretty much every instance - and I'm generally pulling around 20k. I get embarrassed, sometimes leave the group, and reluctantly switch to something that I know how to play properly.

I play my warrior well and I am currently working on a DK that has been a blast, but I just kind of look at my warlock, sitting there at the character selection menu, and feel bad. I really want to play this guy! I want a challenge and I know warlocks offer that, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around their stats, priority ("rotation"), cooldowns, talents, and glyphs. I have read the WoW forums, watched the Fatboss video, and follow the Icy Veins website to a "T", but I must be missing something somewhere.

I don't really know what I am hoping to achieve by sharing my pain here. I guess, if there might be some other locks that might remember what it was like in MoP working through the "learning curve" again who may have a few pointers. Maybe a "laymans terms" sort of break down on priorities, stats, anything? Helpful links? I guess it's not a huge issue either way - I do have plenty of enjoyable characters to play - but the feeling of "defeat" that I've gotten from this one - that I previously played well once upon a time - is quite frustrating!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
In terms of stats, my current priorities are as follows:
5100 Hit. Expertise can also be used for this.
4717 Haste. This allows you to gain an extra tick of Corruption.
I try to pour any leftover stats into Mastery.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsDL8HE-bGDVdFFVWlIzbzQ5RFJJZGFyQ25xZmFYa0E#gid=7

In terms of ability usage, there are a few things to do:
Refresh Corruption through Touch of Chaos when you can. (Void Ray for multiple targets)
Stack those Shadowflames. Recast your Hand of Gul'dan before the dot drops.
Make use of Pandemic to refresh dots. We have it for a reason.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Umm - I was doing 20K DPS when I finished questing in heroics.

I was often lowest on the charts (even below the tanks). I don't take this to mean I'm a bad player. Success in instances is not "having the highest DPS" but rather "have the best DPS you can" and if you finish the instance - viola "success"

I've found that A LOT of our DPS is tied to the 10 min cooldown demons.

But ya - I try to follow IcyVeins and Mr. Robot for my gear reforging. With 480 gear I was pulling about 50 - 60K in LFR and a lille under 30K in heroics. Recount hasn't worked for me since the patch so I don't know.

But ya - a lot of other classes can do substantially higher DPS than a demo lock and about 50% of it is "melee".

I guess my advice is to stop judging yourself by the damage meter and if you feel you're doing the best you can, that's about all the validation you can hope for.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
Umm - I was doing 20K DPS when I finished questing in heroics.

I was often lowest on the charts (even below the tanks). I don't take this to mean I'm a bad player. Success in instances is not "having the highest DPS" but rather "have the best DPS you can" and if you finish the instance - viola "success"

I've found that A LOT of our DPS is tied to the 10 min cooldown demons.

But ya - I try to follow IcyVeins and Mr. Robot for my gear reforging. With 480 gear I was pulling about 50 - 60K in LFR and a lille under 30K in heroics. Recount hasn't worked for me since the patch so I don't know.

But ya - a lot of other classes can do substantially higher DPS than a demo lock and about 50% of it is "melee".

I guess my advice is to stop judging yourself by the damage meter and if you feel you're doing the best you can, that's about all the validation you can hope for.

This is motivating to hear!! I guess, beyond dmg meters, my biggest concern was getting beat up on by my LFG groups. I know it's probably a bad practice, but one of my first few heroics we were fighting a boss, wiped, and everyone decided to blame me because my DPS wasn't high enough. I was pretty upset by it. From that point on, I really haven't been on my lock except to make a few enchants and stuff for friends and alts.

It's good to know that, where I am, isn't COMPLETELY out of the norm.. I know, I have a long way to go with gear and even experience still, but I guess maybe I was just expecting too much (and people expecting too much out of me?) Maybe I'll have to give it all another shot and be a little more thick skinned..
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In your case it appears to be a gear issue. If you're still pulling bad numbers when you're in full purples get your head checked.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
It takes more than a single bad dps to wipe in lfr, so it was mostly the group trying to find a scapegoat to make themselves feel better.

Anyway since your new I would suggest looking at Noxxic.com for rotation priorities, and mr.robot for your stat priorities. Though I wouldn't even worry about optimization with gems and such till your starting to get epics, but that's just me. Once you know your rotation and what your stats should be the only thing you can do is practice.

Also, don't worry to much about your dps in heroics most of the mobs die to quickly for your full dps to show, and tanks in general are doing high dps. However, if your place on the meter is still causing you stress no matter what then just turn it off. 20k isn't even that bad, it is not great by any means but its good enough to get through a heroic and if your group is progressing through it fine then you shouldn't worry about it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Haven't fully read everyones posts but have gotten the gists of them. Honestly, the biggest thing I learned as a lock and player in general is that Cooldowns and buffs are there for a reason and they actually matter. For the longest time I didn't think that a 30% Haste increase for 20 seconds would be worth the time of casting it. I proceeded to be horrible in Cata (due to being a Cata baby) until 5.0 came out. I was on a level playing-field with most every other lock in WoW: we had to relearn the rotations & such. I spent alot of time trying things, reading what others were doing and simply practicing in general.

My training dummy DPS has always been horrible but I pull my weight in dungeons and raids. Be sure you're using all the cooldowns available to you, and play to the best dps you can. Another overlooked dps gain most locks don't use is multi-dotting. You can't do much of it w/o being Affliction but it definitely makes gains. Good luck!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
One tib-bit about using Mr.robot. Once you start doing raids and getting epics, you may want to switch from Mastery, haste, hit, =to= Hit, mastery, haste.

Like my one guildy said, YOU need to HIT the boss to do DPS!

Also their is a lot of guides online for rotation and dps, affliction is the strongest from what i have seen with Demo coming in 2nd.

Guides:
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/affliction/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

https://www.youtube.com/user/evreliagaming

http://www.icy-veins.com/affliction-warlock-wow-pve-dps-guide
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/07/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Tenebriis
One tib-bit about using Mr.robot. Once you start doing raids and getting epics, you may want to switch from Mastery, haste, hit, =to= Hit, mastery, haste.

Actually, hit becomes even LESS important with more gear.

12/07/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Tenebriis
Like my one guildy said, YOU need to HIT the boss to do DPS!

Not being hit capped does not mean you spells will always miss. There's a nifty little trick called "recasting"
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/07/2012 02:19 AMPosted by Floaty
Not being hit capped does not mean you spells will always miss. There's a nifty little trick called "recasting"

Hit cap is a necessity. Recasting wastes time, mana, and damage that would've definitely gone through had you been at the hit cap. It's easy, just do it and avoid this issue.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/07/2012 03:39 AMPosted by Marína

Hit cap is a necessity. Recasting wastes time, mana, and damage that would've definitely gone through had you been at the hit cap. It's easy, just do it and avoid this issue.

Actually it's optional, the difference is about 500-1000 extra dps if you're NOT hit capped.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Not hit capping is only for afflicition since most of the spells are instant cast, except for haunt, you don't lose any noticeable amount of dps if your paying attention. However, since the op is a new warlock while your still learning your rotation go ahead and hit cap till you feel comfortable throwing some misses in there.

Though if your not affliction you are going to hit cap, so its not even worth thinking about.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
But you bring Healthstones!!! So there's that!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]