Vhalan's Tuscan Bean Stew(Healer OT)

90 Blood Elf Priest
Someone do my LFR for me. I want to go to bed.
90 Tauren Druid
What I don't understand is how the word "marriage" can continue to require religious involvement. I know my husband and myself are 100% staunch atheists, yet we are absolutely married in the eyes of the Canadian government, despite all the documentaion (marriage licence, marriage certificate, wittnessing, etc) and ceremony having nothing to do with god. I presume, however, from your post that even atheists' marriages in the States are "sanctioned by god" or somesuch? I'm clearly missing information...

Actually here in the U.S. the two are completely separate as well.

Under the First Amendment, the Church and State are separate entities, and a Religious marriage must first be sanctioned by the State before it can receive recognition and benefits. We see this when first the Mormons sought recognition for their polygamous marriages back in the 1840s, then again with interracial marriages in the 50's and 60's.

Technically speaking, one cannot be "married" in a church without the Sate recognizing it first; and if one desires, you can simply be married by an officiant with no religious affiliations at all(My dad has officiated for a wedding before, for example).

What Tiriel was getting at was the inherent religious nature many See marriage as, tied to their belief that their religious is granted special credence over others; this then leads to them opposing anything that doesn't conform to their beliefs, regardless to the reality.
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/07/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Winnifred
Someone do my LFR for me. I want to go to bed.

I would but you're already in :(
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/07/2012 06:18 PMPosted by Bherwolfe
What Tiriel was getting at was the inherent religious nature many See marriage as, tied to their belief that their religious is granted special credence over others; this then leads to them opposing anything that doesn't conform to their beliefs, regardless to the reality.

Pretty much this. Because Marriage is actually a Holy Sacrament, people are going to see it as religious no matter what you do. Change the name (for everyone, dammit) and you defang the beast.
90 Blood Elf Mage
So having two warlock on Blade Lord is super cool. (We did some work on him this evening, but didn't get him). Each of them put up their transporters, so during phase two, we only have to run half way down the hall, and then port right to the platform!
So I got invited to join a raid team that's actually making progress today. Naturally, I can't join because of scheduling issues >_<
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/07/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Taymage
So having two warlock on Blade Lord is super cool. (We did some work on him this evening, but didn't get him). Each of them put up their transporters, so during phase two, we only have to run half way down the hall, and then port right to the platform!

...I am currently green with envy. >:|
90 Tauren Druid
This helm is ugly. I feel like I have an enraged weasel on my face. One of these days I will get around to transmogging everything, but almost all of the leather sets are blah.

Maybe I will just go full ugly and transmog back to the druid T12...
90 Tauren Druid
This helm is ugly. I feel like I have an enraged weasel on my face. One of these days I will get around to transmogging everything, but almost all of the leather sets are blah.

Maybe I will just go full ugly and transmog back to the druid T12...

I liked druid T8.......eggs and all.....

Though I have been compiling, when I actually get one(*sigh*), a druid set that looks like a DK.

The whole thing hinges off a blue leather helm from a BC dungeon(blanking on which atm though); just spend a little time messing around with Mogit and you should find something good.
90 Night Elf Druid
Nothin beats the headband!
90 Night Elf Druid
The marriage thing ya just have to laugh at really.

Instead of focusing on this and neither side convincing the other of anything at all... we have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv0v1St-QrA

YOU'RE WELCOME!
90 Tauren Druid
Creep Creep Creep....
90 Draenei Priest
Don'tcha just love people who go on and on about "no drama" or "We're a drama free guild! Keep your drama elsewhere!" or whatever, yet they go out of their way to create as much faux drama as possible? #crazypeoplewhothinktheyshouldbethecenterofeveryonesuniverse
Edited by Vhalan on 12/8/2012 11:31 AM PST
90 Night Elf Priest
The reason marriage matters to the government is that it affects property and other people. Especially back when, you know, women were property ... but aside from that, there's things like inheritances. Imagine if the government didn't keep track of marriages at all, and they were purely religious; and someone got married in a weird cult religion that their family hated; and they died without a will -- there would be a big to-do over who gets the inheritance. In fact, that happened with a gay couple in New York. Even though there was a will that left a significant amount to her partner, the family contested the will.

Then there's the kids. Since the government has decided it has a responsibility to take care of kids that aren't being adequately cared for.

The reason marriage is a religious thing is historical, going all the way back to when religion and government were the exact same thing.
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/08/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Vhalan
Don'tcha just love people who go on and on about "no drama" or "We're a drama free guild! Keep your drama elsewhere!" or whatever, yet they go out of their way to create as much faux drama as possible? #crazypeoplewhothinktheyshouldbethecenterofeveryonesuniverse

Eh heh heh heh...I shouldn't laugh...but hehe hehe hehe...

12/08/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Dreamling
The reason marriage is a religious thing is historical, going all the way back to when religion and government were the exact same thing.

^^
90 Human Priest
More OT.

Getting really tired of people screaming 'disc OP' without looking at the reasons.

And guild healers crying disc OP 'NERF INC, ENJOY YOUR 6 WEEKS WHILE YOU CAN, HAR HAR HAR' without thinking about the consequences.

Tempted to just not use SS and see how they handle heroic HOF.

That will probably get me in trouble with the raidleads.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Tempted to just not use SS and see how they handle heroic HOF.

That will probably get me in trouble with the raidleads.

Somewhat worried about this. We two heal a lot of content because our DPS just isn't where it should be. SS is saving our bacon.
90 Human Priest
I do 25s, and I get plenty of hate from a few of the healers that seems hellbent of making it to WOL.

While I'm quite sure at least ONE of them doesn't want healers to be nerfed 'cuz progression'. But it gets tiring listening to the other 4 going '!@#$ing spirit shell' after a AE goes out and you can see that it soaked up a good amount of damage (instead of everyone dipping to 25% they dip to 50%). Nevermind listening some of them gloating "NERF INC, ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE NOW".

Having your comrades nerfed to hell only makes life hard(er) on you. But I think they either don't understand, or don't care (BECAUSE BEING #1 ON WOL IS IMPORTANT, YO)
90 Blood Elf Priest
Your healing team doesn't seem much like a team to me.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]