Sending Heirlooms to other realms?

(Locked)

11 Tauren Hunter
When I try to mail some heirlooms to some of my characters on a different server it says something like "Can't find mail receipt". Is it because it's a bug or is it because you can't mail over servers? The heirlooms says its "Bind on Account" and that means I can mail it to all characters on any server so it has to be a bug. When will blizz fix this?
25 Night Elf Druid
12/05/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Toralo
you can't mail over servers

This one.

so it has to be a bug.

Not exactly.

Developers have been looking in to it, but it's a much larger under taking than most people realize.
Is it because it's a bug or is it because you can't mail over servers?

You can't mail from server to server. Nothing has ever been able to be mailed across servers. So the bind on account just adds a layer of which character has access to it, it's still limited by the mail system just like everything else. You can't mail BoE's across server either, and that definition of bind on equip is even more liberal in its usage rules than bind on account.
Edited by Bavra on 12/5/2012 3:13 PM PST
11 Tauren Hunter
That's not fair :(

It's Bind on ACCOUNT so it should be for every character. Guess my other alts have to level slowly, then.
14 Blood Elf Priest
There's nothing unfair about it. If you had several WoW accounts under the same Battle.net account, you could mail the items to other toons on the same server but different WoW accounts.

It's how it's always worked.
25 Night Elf Druid
12/05/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Toralo
It's Bind on ACCOUNT so it should be for every character.

We know.

We know.

Right now your only option is to transfer a charatcer with it across servers.
11 Tauren Hunter
It must be very misleading. They should wrote "Bind on Server-Account" instead of "Bind on account". I just hope one day it will actually be Bind on ACCOUNT.
3 Night Elf Hunter
12/05/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Toralo
It must be very misleading. They should wrote "Bind on Server-Account" instead of "Bind on account". I just hope one day it will actually be Bind on ACCOUNT.

But its not really bind on server. That would mean they would be forever on that server and unable to leave. You can move them over to another server by putting them all in one characters bag/bank and using a server transfer
69 Orc Death Knight
12/05/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Thunderwulf
Developers have been looking in to it, but it's a much larger under taking than most people realize.

12/05/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Toralo
That's not fair :(

I'd argue it's unfair that players are upset that Blizzard's not bending over backward far enough on this. Originally, it was limited to faction, and not available on other WOW accounts on the same battlenet. Due to popular demand, Blizzard's added both functions, AND is working on making it more available. Everyone wants this change, Blizz included, but that doesn't make it any easier to implement.
11 Tauren Hunter
I believe that blizz should add a tab on the mailbox that says "Account" on the tab. When people mail heirlooms to other characters on your account you could just go to the Account tab and retrieve it there if Blizz dosen't want any communication across servers.
Edited by Toralo on 12/5/2012 3:36 PM PST
100 Blood Elf Rogue
12/05/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Toralo
I believe that blizz should add a tab on the mailbox that says "Account" on the tab. When people mail heirlooms to other characters on your account you could just go to the Account tab and retrieve it there if Blizz dosen't want any communication across servers.

If you wish to leave feedback/suggestions to the devs, I'd suggest you make a post to the General forums. There are no developers on this forum, nor are there SFAs (Support Forum Agents) that can pass on information to the dev team.
3 Night Elf Hunter

You would want to make this suggestion over in the General forum where the developers read them, suggestions will not be seen here.

*Remember though that while it seems easy in theory, technically speaking they may be impossible to do.
85 Tauren Druid

It's not that Blizzard doesn't want cross-server communication, it's that the current mail system doesn't allow it. Look at cross-server realms. That's communication across servers. It's a step in the right direction.

Blizzard does want us to be able to use our heirloom gear on other servers, but the old out-dated mail system prevents it. It wasn't designed with heirloom gear in mind. Afterall, it was originally coded many years before heirloom gear was even thought of. Trying to change the mail system now to accommodate it may end up breaking it (or the game as a whole).

Last year (or maybe it was the year before), Blizzard made a post about some of the different ideas they have come up with. For example, a vendor that once you purchase an heirloom gear, it is available at that same vendor for an alt to make use of. However, that runs into the issue of suddenly having more than one piece of gear when you originally only purchased one.

They may even be considering a complete re-write of the mail system. Your idea would be anyways.

Without knowing the code behind the mail system, we can only guess at what would or would not work. Blizzard seems to be trying to think outside the box and considering ideas that DON'T utilize the mail system.
11 Tauren Hunter
It's not that Blizzard doesn't want cross-server communication, it's that the current mail system doesn't allow it. Look at cross-server realms. That's communication across servers. It's a step in the right direction.

Blizzard does want us to be able to use our heirloom gear on other servers, but the old out-dated mail system prevents it. It wasn't designed with heirloom gear in mind. Afterall, it was originally coded many years before heirloom gear was even thought of. Trying to change the mail system now to accommodate it may end up breaking it (or the game as a whole).

Last year (or maybe it was the year before), Blizzard made a post about some of the different ideas they have come up with. For example, a vendor that once you purchase an heirloom gear, it is available at that same vendor for an alt to make use of. However, that runs into the issue of suddenly having more than one piece of gear when you originally only purchased one.

They may even be considering a complete re-write of the mail system. Your idea would be anyways.

Without knowing the code behind the mail system, we can only guess at what would or would not work. Blizzard seems to be trying to think outside the box and considering ideas that DON'T utilize the mail system.

Thanks for the info. I just hope one day blizz will allow cross server heirloom mailing.
85 Tauren Druid
Found that Blue post for you:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015164096?page=11#213

In terms of Bind on Account items, we believe that using the mail system to transfer heirlooms from one character to another is less than ideal. We’d like to work ourselves away from that sort of item distribution model, and have some design goals in mind that would change the mechanics of how heirlooms are distributed in-game.

We think it would be wonderful to simplify the system so that, for example, you might have a constant heirloom page across all your characters that you could peruse and select from at your leisure. Conceivably, we could do something similar for pets and mounts.

As always, these sorts of design ideas are constantly being evaluated. I just think it’s worth pointing out we’re not currently aiming to create a system that would allow players to mail heirlooms across realms or accounts. We believe that would be a sub-optimal design, and we have better solutions in mind for the future.

There are probably other Blue posts about it as well.
Support Forum Agent
12/05/2012 03:47 PMPosted by Selenic
There are probably other Blue posts about it as well.

Indeed. I should note that this is an evolving discussion as well. Previous posts by Community Managers, who serve as liaisons with our Developers, have mentioned that they were looking into the possibility of further expanding the mail system to allow the ability to mail Heirloom items cross-realm.

Unfortunately, due to technical limitations based on how the current system works, it would likely require an entire rewrite of many core systems to allow something like that.

That doesn't mean they have given up, just that it is not a simple prospect.
3 Night Elf Hunter

Thanks for the info. I just hope one day blizz will allow cross server heirloom mailing.

I am with you there, just don't get too upset over it if it doesn't happen anytime soon.
11 Tauren Hunter
Nice I got a blue post. But thanks for the info from all of you. I just hope cross-server mailing of heirlooms comes soon. :)
100 Undead Death Knight
12/05/2012 03:42 PMPosted by Selenic
Look at cross-server realms. That's communication across servers. It's a step in the right direction.

But it does not allow items to be moved across realms, not in CRZ, not in cross realm dungeons or battlegrounds, etc.

While characters from different realms can be together in certain areas, items cannot be moved across realms (except by server transfer of a character).

Mail cross server does not exist, never has.
We can all hope that they figure out a way to send BoA items cross server but that is a battlenet issue (since they are actually bound to the battlenet account, not just one WoW account). It is not just a WoW issue, it is a battlenet issue and must be solved at the battlenet level.
Edited by Aarschott on 12/5/2012 5:00 PM PST
90 Orc Shaman

And just how do you expect the items to be there if there isn't any communication between the servers? Stop and think before you suggest options for the UI to transfer items. Just because you can think of how the UI would look, does NOT get anyone any closer to actually implementing anything, because even with your suggestion the servers would have to be connected for mail for it to work.

They are not. The servers were NEVER designed to talk to each other that way. So an entirely new system for transferring items has to be built from scratch.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]