What is the most fun DPS class?

90 Draenei Shaman
Hey all. I've been playing this shaman as resto for about 5 years now (and I continue to be resto because my guild requires it, but alas, that is a different conversation), and I want to level up an alt for DPS/PvP.

I will be doing a lot of battlegrounds and 5 mans, and mostly LFR raids.

I've narrowed it down to Mage, Hunter, Warlock, Rogue, Warrior, Feral Druid. So basically i've barely narrowed it down at all, hahaha.

Thoughts? I'm looking more towards fun and varied playstyle as opposed to success and performance, but obviously a frustrating experience won't be very fun either. :)

Thanks!
Edited by Aerae on 12/5/2012 11:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Frost Mages are fun. Fire's a little RNG for my tastes, and I've never been good at Arcane.
Feral Druids are sort of boring now.
Warriors are pretty neat, although the specs aren't terribly different.
Rogues are dull and repetitive.

Not sure about warlocks and hunters.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Arcane mage, afflic lock
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
The most fun dps class is the first one you played and liked.

Try out different stuff. If you level a caster and don't like it, try melee. Having "wasted" some time learning other classes and leveling alt professions is a good problem to have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Enhance shamans are very fun. I think warriors are fun because of their toolkit. Charging/Leaping/Smashing is always great.

Just avoid DKs, ferals, and rogues. To me, they are the most boring dps in the game right now. Anything outside of those three are pretty "fun."
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I'm maining a Mage right now because I haven't raided as one in the past and my guild happened to need one, but I always miss the fun and the cool ranged weapons I have on my hunter. In my opinion, hunter is the most fun there is in this game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Depends on your definition of fun, I suppose.

Mage if your fun is topping charts.

Hunter if you like mobile dps and some rng.

Warlock if you like complex, engaging gameplay.

Rogue if you don't really want to have to work on your rotation but still do decent dps.

Warrior if you like lolling at people in pvp.

Feral druid if you like mediocre dps with a mediocre burst every 3 minutes, but only when playing perfectly.

Honestly? I would play Monk if I were you. It's a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
Of the five classes I've played to a fairly high level (70+ most to 85+) I'd rank them as such. Keep in mind, I haven't really PvPed except for on my rogue - so this is mostly PvE discussion.

Death Knight - I love frost and blood, not a huge fan of unholy though it does have it's charm. I realize blood is a tank spec, but it works to kill things just as well as frost while doing daily quests and leveling. Who knows, you might even enjoy tanking. Frost gives you big meaty crits regularly, or AoE supremacy depending on your weapon choice. You're less mobile, and have less defensive ability than the other choices listed leading to a "Burn it down, then Dark Succor death strike the next mob" mentality. At max level I feel invincible in blood or frost spec doing solo content. Burst down targets in two hits then use his death to feed your life bar.

Mage - I only play PvE frost on this guy. While our 90 talents tarnish the spec a little at max level, it's still quite fun. Questing is a joyful experience filled with omgwtf 1mil damage frostbomb shatters and heart pounding multi-mob kite fests.

Warrior - I haven't gotten him to max level, but have been questing as Arms. I enjoy how fluid the rotation is and the mobility is top notch leapy chargy goodness.

Spriest - While the rotation is fluid, and your added utility of having some healer abilities available are kind of fun - this guy never really clicked that well with me. Mobs dying too quick to make your dots worthwhile made leveling an awkward experience at times. They're alright.

Rogue - I loved my rogue, at one time. My only toon through BC and WotLK. PvP made you feel like a superhero jedi ninja, darting from one target to the next, crippling with your devastating array of short CC cooldowns. In PvE, the combat rotation was tight but regular. Effectively managing your cooldowns allowed you to come out ahead of the pack.

Those days are gone. Playing my rogue now I feel castrated and energy starved. My attacks do little damage, my cooldowns seem dated and our top notch CC is now commonplace. I don't enjoy playing my rogue anymore at all, but maybe because I still remember what they once were.
Edited by Xanedan on 12/6/2012 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Out of your choices, I would pick warlock. The reason being that the level 90 talents for mages are just a pain to deal with. Whichever one you pick will limit your freedom, but will be mandatory to use, and use well.

Warlocks, on the other hand, I have never enjoyed so much. I can't explain why because when it comes to locks, I am kind of a noob. Still, you won't really know what's fun for you until you try the classes out. You mentioned a varied playstyle, and that you wanted dps, so I would go with lock/rogue/mage/hunter since they each have 3 dps specs. Mages can be pretty fantastic in PvP, but I'm a mage and I am hating it. Point is effectiveness =/= Fun. At least not always.

Experiment!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Frost mage seriously fun
Demo locks have a lot of variance to gameplay
Elemental is great especially if you pick up EB.
I'd say kitties are still really fun and interesting, but they don't JOHNF***INGMADDEN much anymore.

...but the most fun I ever had as a DPS regardless of expansion or viability was BC through wrath lolsmite priest. I don't care how bad it was, I was... THE INQUISITOR.
Edited by Delirious on 12/6/2012 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
From my experience, Frost Mages and Affliction warlocks are my favorite DPS specs to play right now. I'd probably find Demonology fun, too, if I could get over how Metamorphosis is no longer a DPS cooldown.

The most fun DPS spec I've ever played, though, was Subtlety in 4.3.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Don't go mage for pve. You won't enjoy the 90 talents.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've never been a huge fan of DK's, but I'm loving two handed Frost right now.

As Xanedan said, at one time it was a no brainer, it would have been Rogue. I've leveled mine to 90, and I still like Muti, but my best weapons right now are Combat so thats what I'm playing. Its boring as sin ( tbh it always has been ) and just feels weak. It does ok numbers wise, it just doesn't feel right.

Affliction locks used to be my other go to, but I haven't liked them since Wrath. Granted I haven't messed with them much this expansion so it may be better, but I just can't get myself to even try it right now.

Fury Warrior is always a blast, I've never been that big on Arms though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Its 99% personal preference. It depends on what you find rewarding.

I've been a melee guy (1H Fury Warrior) for a large % of my Wow career. Every time I try and give ranged a chance, I get bored very quickly. Why?

Because ranged is 10x easier to play, there is no challenge in it, there is no stress, and as a result, it's much less rewarding to succeed.

Ranged - Oh yay, I sat there refreshing some dots and casting a channel, completely safe at 30 yards from the boss. And look at that, #1 on DPS again.

Melee - OMG I just dodged the crap out of 3 back to back things, uninterrupted that cast that would have killed the tank, and I'm still #5 on damage, this is so intense!
Reply Quote

Because ranged is 10x easier to play, there is no challenge in it, there is no stress, and as a result, it's much less rewarding to succeed.

I main a frost DK - and must say that I find my frost mage more intense to play, but that's probably because I'm far more familiar with melee mechanics than ranged.

Even specced into RE currently my DK is pretty predictable, and I don't really have to pay attention to much aside from my disease timers. I mostly just watch the fight.

On my mage it seems like I've always got some new cooldown popping up, or proc and I feel much more on my toes. Frozen orb every minute, making me struggle to churn out all my ice lances, freeze on my water elemental every 30 seconds. Frost bomb every 10. Brain freeze after that. Depending on 90T choice, doing something related to that every 30sec-1min. I'm always responding to something.

Perhaps that's just a DK thing, because you mostly just ignore Killing Machine procs - but I feel my mage is a much more cumbersome experience. Not that I don't like always having something new to react to.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Enhancement Shaman
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

I main a frost DK - and must say that I find my frost mage more intense to play, but that's probably because I'm far more familiar with melee mechanics than ranged.

Even specced into RE currently my DK is pretty predictable, and I don't really have to pay attention to much aside from my disease timers. I mostly just watch the fight.

On my mage it seems like I've always got some new cooldown popping up, or proc and I feel much more on my toes. Frozen orb every minute, making me struggle to churn out all my ice lances, freeze on my water elemental every 30 seconds. Frost bomb every 10. Brain freeze after that. Depending on 90T choice, doing something related to that every 30sec-1min. I'm always responding to something.

Perhaps that's just a DK thing, because you mostly just ignore Killing Machine procs - but I feel my mage is a much more cumbersome experience. Not that I don't like always having something new to react to.

It just depends on the fight really. With a couple of exceptions, melee tends to be easier to play, but the environment is much less forgiving. Casters tend to be a bit more complicated, but the environment doesn't mess with them as much.

I've always enjoyed raiding as melee much more than as a caster, although oddly enough right now I'm playing a caster lol.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
12/05/2012 11:45 PMPosted by Aerae
Thoughts? I'm looking more towards fun and varied playstyle as opposed to success and performance, but obviously a frustrating experience won't be very fun either. :)

Don't pick Mage or Hunter, then. Mage is fun but all the specs will feel very similar to someone unfamiliar with the class, and all three Hunter specs feel very similar even if you're very familiar with the class. From your list, I'd so go with Warlock or Feral. All 3 Warlock specs are very different right now and Feral, in addition to having a wide variety of abilities, can always be changed into a Moonkin if you get tired of being melee.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Monk! Can't explain why because there's too many reasons and in at work!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]