Upgrading from the Trial Version

46 Human Hunter
What exactly did I buy yesterday and today? After spending both amounts Blizzard wanted me to spend more money. Why? Which one did I need and which one is unnecessary?

- Yesterday I thought I was upgrading and they wanted $15.00 a month:

Order Date: 05 Dec 2012

Payment method: --------------------------
Item Subtotal: $9.99 USD
Tax: $0.89 USD
Shipping & Handling: $0.00 USD
Shipping Tax: $0.00 USD
Grand Total: $10.88 USD
Sold by: Blizzard Entertainment

- Today I ordered this and they wanted $20 more:

Order Date: 06 Dec 2012

Payment method: --------------------
Item Subtotal: $49.99 USD
Tax: $4.44 USD
Shipping & Handling: $0.00 USD
Shipping Tax: $0.00 USD
Grand Total: $54.43 USD
Sold by: Blizzard Entertainment
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm not sure what you've purchased, but you should be able to see the details of it in your payment history or the receipts of exactly what you bought.

You need to be aware that this game, along with many MMOs, requires a monthly subscription on top of the costs of buying both the base game and each expansion pack.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I'd assume that the 9.99 was for the battle chest and the 49.99 was for Cataclysm and MoP.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
12/06/2012 07:21 AMPosted by Dasffion
I'd assume that the 9.99 was for the battle chest and the 49.99 was for Cataclysm and MoP.

Yeah, looks like that's just how they're listing the full bundle for everything up through MoP, instead of a flat $59.99 price.

FWIW the subscription won't kick in for 30 days, since that first month is free when upgrading to a subscription account.
Edited by Drewb on 12/6/2012 8:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
93 Orc Warrior
The $10 is for the battle chest. If you've been trial long enough, they'll give you a discount.

The $50, like everybody said, is for the Cata/MoP bundle. You didn't need to buy it (I only got both because of the holiday sale a bit back), as the main draw is unlocking more top-end content.

The extra $20 they still want is to upgrade MoP to the collector's edition. This brings a bonus mount and a special pet, as well as a couple of other token goodies. Honestly not really worth it, and I say this as a pet/mount collectophile.
Edited by Cogruko on 12/6/2012 9:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
This brings a bonus mount and a special pet, as well as a couple of other token goodies. Honestly not really worth it, and I say this as a pet/mount collectophile.

Actually it's a great deal for a mount and a pet. A mount alone on the Blizz store costs $25. a Pet is $10. So you save $15. Depends on if you actually like that mount and pet though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
bottom line is: OP, you don't have to buy anything more to be able to play. You just have to start up the game and log in. Blizzard, like any other company, will remind you every time you go to your account page that there's more stuff you can buy, but unless you truly want that stuff, there's nothing saying that you have to buy it to play.
Reply Quote
46 Human Hunter
Is there a way to get Blizzard Entertainment to send me a paper copy of my [bill] purchases with a list of what I purchased and what I need to pay each month so that I arrange online payments? I was given the phone number 1-800-592-5499 for Blizzard but when I called which was after 10am they said the lines were down.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/07/2012 03:44 AMPosted by Gylfieowl
Is there a way to get Blizzard Entertainment to send me a paper copy of my [bill] purchases with a list of what I purchased and what I need to pay each month so that I arrange online payments?

I don't think so, all that info is available online anyway on your battle.net account.

12/07/2012 03:44 AMPosted by Gylfieowl
I was given the phone number 1-800-592-5499 for Blizzard but when I called which was after 10am they said the lines were down.

Are you sure it was after 10am pacific time?
Edited by Avanna on 12/7/2012 5:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
93 Orc Warrior
If you want to know what to expect for billing in the future, go to your account (account button at the top of the page), and click on your WoW game. You'll be able to view your account history, add game time directly, and see what if any sort of subscription you have. I'm sure Blizzard could mail you a piece of paper to that effect, but you can print out your own with less hassle.
Reply Quote
46 Human Hunter
If I give a hard copy of my bill to "someone" they will show me how to pay the bill and avoid a service charge and I have the option to do that will any bill I have to pay on a monthly basis. This game isn't a game that I [anyone] can complete any time soon so if I'm paying $15 a month for a few years might as well use it to my advantage. Give a little Blizzard. Please?
Reply Quote
Give a little Blizzard. Please?

This forum is not watched by Blizzard employees. If you need help with billing directly from Blizzard, you'll need to call them.

Otherwise, Cogruko has some very good suggestions on accessing your account information. You can print what you need from there.

12/08/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Gylfieowl
This game isn't a game that I [anyone] can complete any time soon so if I'm paying $15 a month for a few years might as well use it to my advantage.

It has no traditional "end." You never "win" or "beat" this game unless you have a specific goal in mind and reach it. But that's entirely personal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
The only "service charge" you could possibly be charged for doing business with Blizzard is from your bank/credit card company. Blizzard does not take out a "service charge" of any kind. Also, even if you set up an automatic payment method, if the credit card or bank account you use runs out of funds, Blizzard will just lock your WoW account until you resume your subscription payments again. There won't be any sort of "cancellation fee" or any of that nonsense.

For each month you pay $15, your account is open.
For each month you don't pay, your account is inaccessible.

You don't get a bill each month asking you to pay, you just pay when you have the money and can afford it. It's not like an electric bill or a credit card bill. Those bills inform you of money you owe them for what you did the prior month. Blizzard's fees apply for the following month, for services you haven't received yet. Without that payment, they lock their services. Because of this, the money you owe is always zero, so there's never a bill. There's also no ongoing payment contract, so you're not required to pay under penalty for a certain time like you are with a magazine subscription.

There's no other fees, charges, or anything of the sort. Anyone who tells you differently is lying to get your account info so they can steal it (there's a HUGE black market for stolen WoW accounts).

If you're handing over your financial info for other things to this "someone" so they can show you "tricks to avoid service charges", I'd be concerned about identity theft.
Edited by Avanna on 12/8/2012 1:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Aside from upgrades (purchasing Battlechest and any of the expansions), the only other charges to the game is for game time. You can either set up a subscription or choose NOT to have a recurring subscription, and instead buy game time as you play.

So instead of putting a credit card on the account to always be billed every month, you can instead choose to buy a 30-day chunk of game time, and apply that to your account. Once that runs out, you can choose to buy more. (Game time is sold in other time amounts as well; for example, the game time card you see in many real-life stores for WoW only comes in a 60-day amount. You can choose a 30 day amount, or even larger amounts of time, on the Blizzard store.)

Here's a page that explains what there is available to buy, and how to subscribe/buy game time. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/shop/game-purchase/

If you still have questions about how to pay for the game, I suggest you ask in the Customer Support forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011699/

There is no paper version of the bill that Blizzard mails to anyone as far as I know. All the information is available on the website. It's far more "green" that way. :) But if you still want to ask about it, the CS forum would be the place to ask. There are also no service charges or anything like that. You pay $15 a month. That's really it. You may have to pay a little more per month depending on where you live (due to taxes in some states, for instance), but there are no cancellation fees, no additional "hidden" fees, nothing like that.

You may sometimes see on your bank statement (if you pay for the game/game time online with a credit card) that Blizzard has placed a $1 charge on your account, and you may wonder what that is. This is a temporary charge Blizzard uses to check if your credit card is valid, and is not uncommon among online vendors. Once it is determined your card is good, the $1 charge will be cancelled and only what you paid for will be charged to your card.
Edited by Cerylia on 12/8/2012 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
46 Human Hunter
I didn't say the charge was coming from Blizzard. I'm trying to get some help without giving out too much personal information. I don't need anyone taking my request as a personal affront. If this is how (using a company's service or buying goods over the internet) many people will be doing business on setups like this and try hard to say something and not say it at the same time in the future then some understand might be in order. I'm trying to avoid a $10.00 monthly service charge on my end. It's a new rule. And taking what looks like a bill to "someone" will help tremendously.

Those legal and legitimate "someones" have a legal right to change their rules as they see fit.

I think I payed for the beginning setup twice and I didn't see something from Blizzard saying, "oh you made a redundant payment let me credit that back to your account and help you do that correctly and thanks for being a new customer and don't worry people sometimes get those things wrong when they are new to the system and we are always willing to help out our new and old customers because we know it's going to be a long if not life long association".

I tried calling Blizzard from "someone's" office and the message said the lines were down.

I'm trying to do all of this right from the start so that I never have to worry about it again.

I don't want to have a caveat emptor - let the buyer beware - relationship with Blizzard.

I'm trying to keep thing nice and pleasant if possible. I'm hoping Blizzard will help if they can.

Don't panic.

----

Cerylia:

Thanks for the information. I'll give the CS - Customer Service Forums a try. It's a shot. I think I'm being as honest and clear as I dare but somehow there seems to be misunderstandings. I'll grant that I'll make mistakes along the way and I'll admit them and correct them but it's weird being warned not to give personal information out on the net and on Forums and then having to do so for understanding. It's just that locally where the customers such as me are things change and we have to adapt. I think "the powers that be" are trying to keep us on our toes. They want to make sure we are always thinking.

Anyway in my efforts to do this I bet Blizzard will come out looking like a good deal and a friendly company to some.

So far I know I'm the one who's trying to accomplish something and that Blizzard is not trying to stop me and what I'm trying to do is legal and I would say that to them if I could get them on the phone. I actually have to set up a conference call with someone from Blizzard, me and that a representative of that certain "someone" I mentioned and that's why I was in "someone's" office. Trust me the rule change threw me for a loop.

I hope that's a good enough explanation and I don't have to reveal anymore details. Again if Blizzard is unwilling to help out then I'll just have to deal with it. I was just hoping that they knew of some of the changes that had been put in place but certain institutions to make things more cumbersome and that they would be willing to adjust if it helps their customers old and new.

Thanks anyway folks..........................
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
It's very difficult to understand what you're trying to ask help with since you are reluctant to tell us what your situation is. From what I can infer, it seems like you have someone else arrange your payments for you (for everything, not just Blizzard?), and you want to have a paper copy of your transactions to show them so they can account for the WoW subscription. Otherwise, you might get a $10 charge. That's what I have to guess, anyway. :\ Without specifics none of us here can really understand or help you.

You can try the Customer Support forums, but unless you're willing to be a bit more clear with your situation I'm not sure how well they can help you there either. Your best bet is probably the phones if you're worried about sharing personal information.

The phone lines are open from 10am-6pm PST, and I haven't heard of the phones being down lately. It's possible that the phone lines were full. You simply need to keep redialing until you get a spot in the phone queue. Don't call, then hang up if it's full, then dial 5 minutes later. Immediately redial and keep doing this until you get a spot. You may have to wait on hold for a time (not sure what the phone times are like lately), but be patient and someone will be able to help you.

I hope that helps? :o
Reply Quote
46 Human Hunter
Cerylia -

I mentioned the above to Customer Service.

--------------------

Yesterday I bought the Cinder Kitten.

---------------------------------

I finally got Old Gummers and I got a few Muckdwellers as well. Does Gummers or one of those others creatures drop a key to get into the chests way at the bottom?

--------

Recently I got to see some episodes of an old TV show called "Sea Hunt" and I was thinking that would be perfect to use for quest ideas involving swimming under water in WoW.

Sea Hunt The Getaway Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyBZ7HQtpM
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I finally got Old Gummers and I got a few Muckdwellers as well. Does Gummers or one of those others creatures drop a key to get into the chests way at the bottom?

No, those chests are old "practice" lockboxes that rogues used to require in order for them to level up their lockpicking high enough to pick the lockboxes that drop off of creatures and the locked chests that used to be found in old dungeons.

So imagine swimming underwater for hours going from lockbox to lockbox, coming up every 5 minutes or so for air, and dodging the creatures in the lake just so you could use your "pick lock" skill. Each of those lockboxes contain (at best) a trivial amount of copper and a food item you could buy from any innkeeper.

Thankfully, "pick lock" now automatically levels with the rogue characters, so those lockboxes
are pretty much pointless now.

Recently I got to see some episodes of an old TV show called "Sea Hunt" and I was thinking that would be perfect to use for quest ideas involving swimming under water in WoW.

Sea Hunt The Getaway Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyBZ7HQtpM

Um, ok? but there's no Blizzard employees here, so this bit is kinda pointless. Quest suggestions belong in the Gameplay and Guides -> Quests forum, random "wouldn't this be a neat idea, what do you think" topics belong in General forum.
Edited by Avanna on 12/9/2012 10:49 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]