Arcane DPS help...

90 Blood Elf Mage
Need some help to determine what I'm doing wrong.

I'm 483ilvl and on raid training dummies I'm pulling around 70~75k with max burst around mid 80's with 300 food and flask.

I've spoken with other mages on my server and they do around 115k burst 80k sustained from 474 ilvl and up, when I saw the 474 mage pulling that DPS I punched my dog in the face... j/k

I'm at 36.92 mastery and 7.20 haste. Now the only thing I failed to ask, is if they were potting or using mastery trinks.

I've tried keeping 6 stacks up at all times and using AT when I had double AM proc, popping AT, AP, AM, AM, Barrage, AT, AM, AM then building 6 stacks back up.

I've tried using barrage when I have 4-6 stacks and use AM procs, barrage when back up on stacks.

I'm just at a loss right now and any input would be grateful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
And yes, using RoP at all times, keeping mama up above 80%
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
You have 2pc so you can scorchweave.

So, first off try to always maintain 6 stacks at all times, if you're falling below 90% mana then you want to use your arcane missiles, if you have no arcane missiles up spam scorch to get an arcane missile proc. If you are unfortunate to not get a proc during scorch spam, alternate an arcane blast to make sure you don't drop your 6 stacks of arcane charges.

When it comes to alter time line it up with your arcane power, and if possible a mana gem, and by this I mean when you're @ near full mana and 6 stacks hit ur arcane power then alter time and spam the crap out of arcane blast, once alter time finishes you'll go back to your snapshotted mana. Once you're back to your previous mana you'll still have time on your arcane power, but that's ok, if you have a mana gem spam away arcane blasts till the point where your mana gem will bring you to near full mana again.

And, one other note if you ever have a double proc on arcane missile use 1 up right away as you might proc another one while having a double proc up, thus losing that arcane missile proc forever.

They key goal here it to stay high on mana while maintaing 6 stacks, if you can do that you're already winning.
Edited by Wyzeguyy on 12/6/2012 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
80k sustained seems pretty high for 474 ilvl gear on the dummy. But dps on dummies is subject to a lot of inconsistencies between different players and how they test there. I wouldn't be too worried, log your raids and see how you stack up. The rankings were pretty easy to break last week, they're starting to fill up tho so comparisons should be pretty easy.

Guessing this was a typo, but in your opener you list AT, AP, .....

You want to cast AP before AT, or your Arcane Power will be taken off when AT reverts.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Use RoP and if the worse you are at maintaining mana above 80% the more Haste you're going to need. Try going all Haste then swap for Mastery till you find your sweet spot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks guys, I'll test this out tonight in our HoF run.

@aftershock, no, no typo I will fix that macro... Doh!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Just wanted to says thanks to Wyze and Draagun for the tips. I just beat out a 497 fire mage by 6k dps, and im only 484. Both were going all out. Single target, MSV Feng. Where as before that fire mage would of killlllled me.
Edited by Sheldonblack on 12/6/2012 1:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
create a GG macro...

/use mana gem
/use brilliant mana gem
/cast presence of mind
/cast arcane power
/use 10
/cast alter time
/cast arcane blast

You want to click this once when you have both trinkets up and 2 missiles proc'd. Even better if jade spirit is spinning as well. While in alter time allow the macro'd arcane blast finish casting, then unload your two proc'd missiles and right before AT finishes arcane barrage. This sometimes means clipping your 2nd missile.

With this burn method my current opening burst on target dummies hits 160k dps consistently.

If you want better help on your dps issues post some logs.
Edited by Gravitation on 12/7/2012 2:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I hear haste and mastery are both great for arcane, which armor do I want to be wearing for it? Does it depend on where my ilevel is, or is one just always better than another? Ive been using mage armor thus far.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
ve spoken with other mages on my server and they do around 115k burst 80k sustained from 474 ilvl and up, when I saw the 474 mage pulling that DPS I punched my dog in the face... j/k

not even mathematically possible with that level of gear to sustain that dps in an actual raid
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
IQ
/use mana gem
/use brilliant mana gem
/cast presence of mind
/cast arcane power
/use 10
/cast alter time
/cast arcane blast

Grav, i have one of the missiles macro'd instead of AB, so it would be missile,AB,missile, that way you have a another chance to proc a missile and get it off before AT rewinds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/07/2012 03:23 AMPosted by Æsthetîcs
ve spoken with other mages on my server and they do around 115k burst 80k sustained from 474 ilvl and up, when I saw the 474 mage pulling that DPS I punched my dog in the face... j/k

not even mathematically possible with that level of gear to sustain that dps in an actual raid

and you have the math to prove this? my alt would disagree...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
/cast presence of mind

This worries me. You have 2 piece bonus, why are you not scorch weaving?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/07/2012 02:38 AMPosted by Desolation
I hear haste and mastery are both great for arcane, which armor do I want to be wearing for it? Does it depend on where my ilevel is, or is one just always better than another? Ive been using mage armor thus far.

Mage armor.

Arcane stat priority is as follows:

Hit to cap > 3056 Haste > MASTERY > MASTERY > MASTERY
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/06/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Draagun
Use RoP and if the worse you are at maintaining mana above 80% the more Haste you're going to need. Try going all Haste then swap for Mastery till you find your sweet spot.

Don't listen to him. You have your 4 piece set bonus, you SHOULD be maintaining 90% mana and scorch weaving to maintain that %.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
For any other mage questions please PLEASE refer to:

http://www.twitch.tv/blatty

And view some of his videos on arcane mages. On monday he talked a 30 minute segment on arcane dps.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Dlm do you play a 90 mage or just a blatty fanboy ?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/07/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Hamf

Not a fanboy. Blatty is the only one I have found that actually accurately describes the differences in talents and how it effects your dps output directly. I theorycraft on my own. Have been since before TBC. If you can find me a video of someone that accurately describes this, I would love to direct other magi to that video instead.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/07/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Dlm

Not a fanboy. Blatty is the only one I have found that actually accurately describes the differences in talents and how it effects your dps output directly. I theorycraft on my own. Have been since before TBC. If you can find me a video of someone that accurately describes this, I would love to direct other magi to that video instead.

I will watch his video as I am open to suggestion. You commented on a haste cap being a priority over Mastery. I suspect this is part of the video? I also don't understand why anyone would ever cast Scotch - yes it procs AM - but it does not utilize the Arcane Charge as far as I know - can anyone confirm this piece? If it does - it would make sense to use it as part of an affective arcane rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Your spell power is way to low for your ilv. You should be in the 23k's. Thats probably why your dps is so far behind the others.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]