Mages, post-Fire nerf: show us your parses

90 Human Mage
This still doesn't make fire viable. Arcane still does more damage on low movement to no movement fights. On top of that they are two completely different stat dependent specs. I can only think of one fight where I would "need" to go fire in order to beat enrage and why should I have to have to regem reforge just for one fight.

Giving us more cleave didn't fix anything we just need to get a 25% combustion nerf and a 1.4 CM instead of 50% and 1.30. Try smaller portions then wait don't just jump to a nerf that is going to destroy a class and how thousands of mages have already gears gemmed and reforged for.

P.S. Thanks for the slap in the face blizz giving us a tiny buff so the general population of mages thinks it's viable to stop the QQ. It's still not fixed for progression raiders I might just quit I'm tired of this whole changing spec completely every few months thing.
Edited by Seoyeon on 12/11/2012 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
While I agree this doesn't change much for 95% of the fights out there, it wasn't their intention. GC has stated they are happy with fire where it's at. I assume because the 85th percentile and up make it work and haven't seen as big a hit as the others. They have stated they want to fix it for the folks that aren't in a position some others are with gear. This appears to be an attempt at that.

I am happy to get any buff since they are "happy" where it landed post nerf. But I've always played whatever the top DPS spec is and nothing will change that. I hate arcane and frost but if they top rank on a fight, I'll continue switching specs. I just wish it didn't cost me 2-3k every time I did it, since our stats are completely different depending on spec.

I wish we had it like hunters did in this case. Atleast their specs have relatively the same objective in stats. Would make it alot easier and painless in gearing right if we worked the same.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Lhiv, can you confirm these changes have gone through? I'm currently in an LFR and Im only getting a total of 3 targets effected by dot pass. And I was under the impression this would free up a glyph (Fireblast) but it has not. Am I reading this wrong?
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
At work, can't confirm now. It would not free up a glyph slot. It just changes Inferno Blast's built-in DOT spreading; the glyph simply allows living bomb to be spread.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'll have to do some more testing but I am not seeing the +1 in the spread happening.
Reply Quote
The cleave change only effects trash and wind lord, I hope they didn't honestly think it would increase mage dps. The .05% crit is a start, though.

edit: really just want like 60-75% combustion ignite, and I'll be happy. I really miss combustion.
Edited by Kawaiidesu on 12/11/2012 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Ok, did some testing, it is working. Wont be a huge change for the heroic fights, but it's not bad. I will still most likely go back to arcane, but i plan to give this a shot this week and test some.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Ran most of the LFR dungeons and do not see an appreciable difference overall.

Ran several bosses ala patchwerk like sha and with 24% crit...that is not going to get it done
at our current level of raiding. Others came in at 32-33% and saw a marginal increase.
Overall for both runs it evened out at 33%...far cry from the 40% I was seeing.

If this is where they are happy with mages now they are the only ones who feel that way.

I don't see any choice but to switch to arcane till 5.2 when gear based crit will make fire viable
for the average player.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
This is the report from a 10N HoF guild clear tonight http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sn1fker87z88q875/sum/damageDone/ after the .05% CM buff hotfix today.

I did notice that the number of targets affected by our dots is indeed 4, and the slight .05 buff did make the playstyle a little more fluid then the post 5.1 hotfix (less RNG and more predicatable crits). Although my numbers aren't spectacular, I did stay mid pack with spikes in dps up to 180k+ on some attempts.

I love fire and will most likely stay with this spec, even though frost and arcane seem to bring more dps. If I can stay fire and not hurt the progression of the raid, then why switch?

Although, I don't believe the CM buff was enough to make fire near to what it should be, it is still a step in the right direction. Anywho, looking forward to seeing more statistical posts tonight after the weekly reset to compare numbers.

P.S. Please forgive my guild for wiping so much on this night, lots of bad RL RNG and lack of focus, but we did perservere and clear it.

P.S.S Also sorry, can't get the link to work properly.
Edited by Cupofcheese on 12/11/2012 11:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
So were we done with being outraged by this or?
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Seebach

No, we have yet to change Ghostcrawler's opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I suspect that since fire is lame a lower gear levels, the adds damage buff was a small way to help those doing 5 mans, a bit.
Fire still seems to scale decent with gear.
Raidbots takes at least a week before trending shows what the changes mean.
Plus good players spec jumping has an impact.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
12/13/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Seebach

Not really, I just accept the fact he has a different opinion which is proven wrong with facts and
switched to arcane...again.

I get to spend a tier of content watching my mana bar. Whootz.
Fire is fun and arcane is not and until gear levels negate this pointless and stupid nerf off I go.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
12/13/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Floppey

Not really, I just accept the fact he has a different opinion which is proven wrong with facts and
switched to arcane...again.

I get to spend a tier of content watching my mana bar. Whootz.
Fire is fun and arcane is not and until gear levels negate this pointless and stupid nerf off I go.

Don't be silly.

The moment gear levels negate this pointless stupid nerf, they'll just nerf CM again.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Still overnerfed. 1% more crit isn't a drop in the bucket blizz.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6byfrhirup32v5yr/rankinfo/
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Still overnerfed. 1% more crit isn't a drop in the bucket blizz.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6byfrhirup32v5yr/rankinfo/

^.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
The .o5% added back is marginal at best. What I don't get is, combustion was buffed 17% because someone thought it needed to be buffed, that it wasn't a strong enough CD. You would think this was because someone was number crunching. Then 3 days later, it was brought down 50% (33% nerf effectively). Why buff something and then nerf it within a 3 day period. It doesn't make sense.

Yes cleave was very strong, so you nerfed our single target multiplier because of the way it worked with cleave, so it had a cascade effect. Then you come back and "buff" the cleave because it was too low? then add insult to injury by providing us with a .o5% increase to CM, knowing very well that, that will not boost single target dps by much at all?

Anyways, you need someone that can actually look at numbers and calculate formulas, maybe a 7th grader. I think that should do it. I've played a little over 8 years and this on top of the daily grindfest is getting really old. Please look into buffing our single target dps slightly more. So I can play the spec I enjoy the most, right now it just feels slow and boring, although the alternative is watching my mana bar or playing frost which I loathe.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm not particularly happy with my DPS right now, but I figured I should add to the convo:

Day 1: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qef1y5ayakqnaqoz/
Day 2: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-sdz8nd6m7ax591yy/
Day 3: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-uxyznfnt3bovgv4f/

We had a big week as a guild, got 5 new encounters down: Protectors Elite, Sha of Fear, Stone Guard Hard, Feng Hard, and Gara'jal hard. I did all of the encounters as fire. I'm keeping up, but I'm not where I should be given my skill level compared to my guildies with the exception of Paintrain.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I had hopes that with the slight adjustment back that fire would start to stabilize in how it is trending in raidbots. But it is not, it continues to have a step decline (raidbots as I understand it averages on 7 days).
All, yes ALL other class DPS specs are showing a trend near stable or slightly increasing. Fire overall is still in a steep downward dive. And this is showing at all levels of progress.
For sure some of this is better players switching to arcane spec, but that is not the only reason.

If one jet liner had a modification and was showing predicting heading toward the ground and another was showing predicting being as stable as most other jet airliners, which one would you pick?
Technically speaking people still have a choice, but practically speaking many people are being forced to not play fire.

What adds to the frustration is that the stat priorities between fire and arcane are night and day.
Edited by Nert on 12/14/2012 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I had hopes that with the slight adjustment back that fire would start to stabilize in how it is trending in raidbots. But it is not, it continues to have a step decline (raidbots as I understand it averages on 7 days).
All, yes ALL other class DPS specs are showing a trend near stable or slightly increasing. Fire overall is still in a steep downward dive. And this is showing at all levels of progress.
For sure some of this is better players switching to arcane spec, but that is not the only reason.

If one jet liner had a modification and was showing predicting heading toward the ground and another was showing predicting being as stable as most other jet airliners, which one would you pick?
Technically speaking people still have a choice, but practically speaking many people are being forced to not play fire.

What adds to the frustration is that the stat priorities between fire and arcane are night and day.

It depends how you look at the raidbots data. Raidbots is a tool like anything else and you have to use it correctly. If you only look at the top 100 parses for heroic modes over a 2 month timespan over 2 weeks, then yes Fire damage is still in freefall. This is not the best way to look at the data.

If you look at Top 100 over 1 month timespan and a 1 week sample period, Fire has not only leveled, its got a steeper INCLINE than almost any other class. But why are we looking at the top 100? These are people who were A) lucky, B) cheesed the parse like ignoring raid mechanics to pull higher numbers, C) the best geared among us, or D) all of the above. If you look at -all- parses you see a very different picture. Not only has Fire leveled out, its scale on heroic modes has an even steeper incline than the top 100 parses.

However, many guilds can't handle the higher skill cap of heroics, so the numbers favor the earlier fights. Looking at the heroic parses isn't getting a complete picture of where Fire stands because aggregate parses are front-loaded to MSV parses, maybe a few in HoF. Switch it over to normal mode content you start to see that Fire is in much more dire straights than heroic parses would indicate, but it still has a steeper incline than other specs.

The only conclusions I can draw from the raidbots data is that Fire still has the best scaling in the game and is not useless. Its further behind the other pure classes than it should be, between 5-10k DPS even on Heroic mode, but its within 3000 DPS of every other DPS class currently parsed. This should be adjusted as fire shouldn't be 17% behind affliction warlocks, but its also far from "never play fire!".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]