How are unholy dks doing?

90 Gnome Death Knight
How are they doing right now as far as pve dps? I originally was seeing that 2 handed frost was the best, but I just can't stand it anymore. Maybe I do it wrong when I play it, but I get so many periods with nothing to use and it's so boring and frustrating. I've been trying to find the dk spec with the least amount of downtime, and it seems like my trusty ole unholy spec.

I played unholy mostly during dragon soul to great success, generally always topping the charts or being very close, and ranking on numerous boss fights according to world of logs. So I feel like I can handle the spec, yet now when I run dungeons or LFR I seem to be lower then I want to be. I guess it's probably my gear since I still have a bunch of blues, especially my weapon, and maybe some rust since I've played mostly frost this expansion... but is there anything else I might want to consider?

To be honest I've almost gotten to the end of things with my dk. I loved him during dragon soul, but I guess haste plus the set bonuses did so much to reduce downtime then. If I have to go frost to succeed I'll probably move on to another class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Unholy I believe is 7k dps below frost but still higher then half the other dps specs in the game. So it is a steady dps. Keep in mind that all your damage should be coming from soulreaper when the boss gets 35%. Unlike frost you ALWAYS want it on the boss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/05/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Fálrin
Unholy I believe is 7k dps below frost but still higher then half the other dps specs in the game. So it is a steady dps. Keep in mind that all your damage should be coming from soulreaper when the boss gets 35%. Unlike frost you ALWAYS want it on the boss.

What are you talking about? You always want SR on the boss even for frost, and no, unholy still has damage from other sources below 35%.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Zen
Can't speak definitively since I'm still leveling and haven't been inside a single raid yet this expansion, but from what I have read it seems like Unholy is coming in the lower end of the mid-range DPS pack. Meanwhile, Frost looks like it is doing fairly well on the charts currently when compared to where Unholy falls. Also, as you pointed out, gear has a lot to do with your potential damage output, and proper enchanting and reforging can increase that.

That said, if you are only running dungeons and LFR, play whatever spec you'd like. If you aren't participating in regular raids with an eye on pushing heroic boss kills, I wouldn't worry so much about downtime or damage output so much as enjoying yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Can't speak definitively since I'm still leveling and haven't been inside a single raid yet this expansion, but from what I have read it seems like Unholy is coming in the lower end of the mid-range DPS pack. Meanwhile, Frost looks like it is doing fairly well on the charts currently when compared to where Unholy falls. Also, as you pointed out, gear has a lot to do with your potential damage output, and proper enchanting and reforging can increase that.

That said, if you are only running dungeons and LFR, play whatever spec you'd like. If you aren't participating in regular raids with an eye on pushing heroic boss kills, I wouldn't worry so much about downtime or damage output so much as enjoying yourself.

sims say that all our dps specs are performing within 2% of eachother. logs are skewed results because many fights favor frost cleave damage and frost is generally the easier spec to play effectively so you see a lot more frost dks performing well than you do unholy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
What are you talking about? You always want SR on the boss even for frost, and no, unholy still has damage from other sources below 35%.

Frost is more forgiving if you forget to use it. Yes of course unholy has other abilities to use as damage I should have said most not all. But you seem to forget what kind of damage soul reaper does and why frost doesn't need to use it constantly. You should be using it but as I stated above it is more forgiving then unholy.

Also by the time you hit 35% on a boss your dps isn't going to be changing much, I can tell you that because I watched my damage on the first HoF boss in normal mode where I hit 100k+ damage and sustained it there until he switched platforms. No heroism, just badass damage. Where as by the time you get to use soulreaper you can't actually depict the damage change it will do by that time in the fight. Every fight I've done it has maybe just maybe done 5%-7% of my damage and I do keep it up. Compared to howling blast, frost strike, and frost fever dot which has been going on for the whole of the fight.

I should read over what I say more often as my brain often puts random words in to what I say not what I actually meant. Stupid brain why you so mean to me :/.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Just ran a heroic, Mogushan palace or whatever it is. The last boss in there is a good one to test dps on because it's generally a stand and dps fight. So yeah, as unholy I did like 54k dps. I was beaten slightly by a hunter in much lower level gear then me, and I know personally I've done much better then that as frost.

As I've said I feel I'm good with the unholy, but to me it really does seem to do a lot less then frost. Is all this stuff about the specs being close really true, or just bs?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/05/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Imapwnurface
As I've said I feel I'm good with the unholy, but to me it really does seem to do a lot less then frost. Is all this stuff about the specs being close really true, or just bs?

Unholy is only about 5k dps lower then frost is. This can change depending on the fights and which frost combat style you are going against. In a decent aoe fight you maybe neck or neck or above a 2h frost player while still beneath a DW frost player. The fight is a big part of how much damage you can potentially do. Stick to unholy if you like unholy that is all I am going to say.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
12/05/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Imapwnurface

It's BS. Don't get me wrong, Unholy isn't a bad spec. It's a solid contender and can hold it's own in the DPS race. Frost right now is just really good, whether you're 2H or DW.

12/05/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Imapwnurface
I played unholy mostly during dragon soul to great success, generally always topping the charts or being very close, and ranking on numerous boss fights according to world of logs.

I'm willing to bet this was because of Gur'thalak, since its shadow damage scaled with unholy's mastery. In the end though, if you want do switch to unholy, then switch. Gear being equal, a player who enjoys and is comfortable with his spec will consistently out dps a player that isn't.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
12/05/2012 06:42 PMPosted by Karaahl
I'm willing to bet this was because of Gur'thalak, since its shadow damage scaled with unholy's mastery.

Very true. I miss that sword.

12/05/2012 06:42 PMPosted by Karaahl
In the end though, if you want do switch to unholy, then switch. Gear being equal, a player who enjoys and is comfortable with his spec will consistently out dps a player that isn't.

This. I've been playing unholy since WOTLK. It's a spec I enjoy and am comfortable with. I tried DW frost back in 4.2, but was terrible at it and hated the playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
The fact that this tier is so reliant on cleaves is a factor of why frost is the best.

the fights for single target, frost is still ahead.

Unholy is my favorite spec, but it's a loss.
Edited by Postonforums on 12/7/2012 3:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]