LFR tips for MSV?

90 Pandaren Monk
I 've done the first half once as DPS, I stayed away from tanking it due to the infamous que times. Luckily(?) I've been pretty sick for the past few days (Was at 102.8F) so I have pretty much nothing to do tomorrow.

To my understanding, LFR is a series of butchered Tank N' Spank encounters, but is there anything I should worry about?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
HoF and ToES LFR aren't terribly faceroll. MSV has a few moments to watch out for but nothing too bad.

Stone Guards: Stack 'em up in a pile, smack buttons until loot falls out.
Feng: Same sorta deal. Use the Shroud to get a lot of DPS and the Barrier if you don't feel like people should take damage.
Gara'jal: From a tank perspective, not too much, most of it's on DPSers to kill the damn adds. Just make sure you and the other tank are top two on threat.
Spirit Kings: Avoid bad things. Flanking Assault actually hits pretty hard and will kill people if you don't stand in it, and the first guy's frontal cleave will also one shot you if nobody's with you.
Elegon: Turn the boss away, don't stand in the middle when the platform despawns.
Will of the Emperor: Coordinate beforehand with the other tank which guy you're tanking and pull him towards the entrance of the room. Do your best to dodge the things Devastating Combos, and pop cooldowns through Titan Gas.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Edited by Waniou on 12/4/2012 8:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 07:53 PMPosted by Sheydrina
due to the infamous que times

MSV queues seem better now, for what it's worth. I turn on both checkboxes tank/dps, and get tank about 1/3 of the time. I suspect the regular raid teams are "done" with MSV and no longer looking for tanking gear from LFR. Consequently, there are less people trying to be LFR tanks.

It's fine to say "I've dps'd this but have not tanked it, tips on how to handle the fight are welcome." It's a little nerve-wracking, but the other tank will probably help, or someone in the group will help.

12/04/2012 08:11 PMPosted by Waniou
the first guy's frontal cleave will also one shot you if nobody's with you

I've seen a couple runs where one tank goes rambo and charges the boss, alone, and gets one-shot because he's alone. The cleave shares damage around nearby people, so stand with other tank (or with the full raid, it works fine), and taunt the boss to come to where you're standing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I love spirit kings.

Monk rolls into boss, gets one hit and the boss despawns.

After we rez him, DK runs up to the boss and acts shocked when he dies.

And this is after we wiped from a paladin doing the same.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
MSV is surprisingly tank reliant in LFR in pretty much every fight, save maybe Stone Guard.

The only thing I have to add to this is to forgo your physical mitigation and go for all out absorbs or healing, whichever you have (not familiar with monk stuff). E.G. Blocks, Blood Shield, and Dodge do not work on the bleed, which is where 60%+ of the tank damage comes from.

Feng: Same sorta deal. Use the Shroud to get a lot of DPS and the Barrier if you don't feel like people should take damage.

Shroud takes a bit of work to get used to, and is generally best used with a pair of macros, or at least one if you just want to do the fight right (the second is just for being pro and stealing Wildfire/Resonance):

Set the other tank to your focus for this one

/tar focus
/click ExtraActionButton1
/targetlasttarget

The second one is:

/tar mouseover
/click ExtraActionButton1
/targetlasttarget

The idea of Shroud is, after phase 1, to get as much damage as you possibly can out of the ability. The three best abilities to steal for damage are:
  • Epicenter
  • Flaming Spear
  • Arcane Velocity, if you're willing to run to the other side of the room to cast it
  • Arcane Resonance otherwise

However, in phase 1, you should be trying to offtank the phase as much as possible in order to steal Lightning Fists when the other tank is hit by it. This is hard to get the hang of, but the best advice I can give you is to use the first macro I listed above, and hit that macro as soon as you see him casting Lightning Fists.

As you get used to this, you will notice Feng will stop his meleeing for several seconds before casting Lightning Fists, this is always true and is unique to right before a Lightning Fists. This will help you prepare to hit the macro.

If you want to steal things like Wilfire Spark or Resonance in phases 2 or 3, the mouseover macro will make that much easier, if downright possible (I have yet to steal Spark but that's probably simply due to people not eating the damage from it dropping when I've tried, go figure that's the one time people would be good at avoiding things >.>).

/cancelaura Wall of Text

Gara'jal: From a tank perspective, not too much, most of it's on DPSers to kill the damn adds. Just make sure you and the other tank are top two on threat.

Yep. Gara will fixate at all times (after ~5 seconds of the pull) and as such you have a few seconds to beat all the dps bursting 100k before they get themselves killed and you get shouted at. However, this opens you up to things like getting BoP'd to completely negate damage for several seconds. Beyond this, the only thing to worry about is the Shadowy Attacks timer, as when that counts down you should try to have some form of CD up if you're tanking to reduce raid damage significantly.

Spirit Kings: the first guy's frontal cleave will also one shot you if nobody's with you.

Yep, stack for Meng and Qiang, spread out for Zian and Subetai. Interrupt as much as possible on Meng and Zian. Be VERY careful on Qiang when Flanking Orders goes out as moving with him at the wrong time will kill you - wait until after he swings, then move quickly and then turn him around again to face the rest of the raid trying to catch up to you. Or, cheese it with all your cds (Ardent Defender ftw). It's 2.5M damage on LFR, before armor, so you'll need to reduce it quite a bit to survive that.

Elegon: Turn the boss away, don't stand in the middle when the platform despawns.

Yep, if you're on add duty what you can attempt to do is drag the add out of the center platform as its dying to reduce Total Annihilation damage. This isn't a big deal on LFR, though.

Will of the Emperor: Coordinate beforehand with the other tank which guy you're tanking and pull him towards the entrance of the room. Do your best to dodge the things Devastating Combos, and pop cooldowns through Titan Gas.

Pretty much sums it up, though you should pop offensive cds as well as defensive ones during Titan Gas for the damage boost. For the Combo - watch the slashing blue/white lines, and if the boss starts hovering in the air (not touching the ground at all) while dust is pushed out from under him, GTFO asap or eat a stun.
Edited by Darpalta on 12/4/2012 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I left my default tank/healer setting on when I queued for 2nd half of HoF yesterday, and it decided to have me tank. I was pretty surprised. :)

On Will, the animation can be a bit confusing, it indicates where to go rather than to get away from where it is indicating. It's a bit hard to explain in writing, might want to watch a vid first.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I left my default tank/healer setting on when I queued for 2nd half of HoF yesterday, and it decided to have me tank. I was pretty surprised. :)

On Will, the animation can be a bit confusing, it indicates where to go rather than to get away from where it is indicating. It's a bit hard to explain in writing, might want to watch a vid first.

Will isn't hard to explain

Where you see the blue cleave animation.. don't stand there, that is where he will be cleaving.
when he stands on one foot like he's going to stomp, and makes dust under him, run to the outside of the dust (without getting pulled in).
Edited by Barfus on 12/5/2012 1:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thanks guys.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Spirit Kings: Avoid bad things. Flanking Assault actually hits pretty hard and will kill people if you don't stand in it, and the first guy's frontal cleave will also one shot you if nobody's with you.

Basically. Also, bring a friend and bet on how many people die when the floor drops out on Elegon- winner takes the pot. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Barfus
Where you see the blue cleave animation.. don't stand there, that is where he will be cleaving.

I was referring to his Louisville Slugger routine. If he hauls his weapon back over his *left* shoulder, he's going to cleave to the right, so I start moving then instead of waiting for the blue arc, and vice versa. If he sticks his club straight out in front like he's tapping it on Home Plate, I have to get behind him.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/05/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Plethora
Basically. Also, bring a friend and bet on how many people die when the floor drops out on Elegon- winner takes the pot. :)

What about people who fall in before the fight even starts?

Was in there tonight with a tank who had obviously never been there before because he just sat there during Flank on the first boss (along with most of the raid) while I was trying to taunt the boss to me to "lure" the dps out of the Flank path.

And then said tank just charges straight in after we kill Elegon trash...and falls into the pit.

Some people...
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/05/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Plethora

Guild used to do this on Hagara in DS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Only time I've ever trolled lfr was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen...

First week of LFR elegon... phase goes to change, floor's about to drop...

/rw STACK IN MIDDLE
/rw OMG GET TO MIDDLE NOW

epic hilarity definitely ensued
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]