Ta'yak

29 Human Mage
What's up with this dude?

Why is it that his Unseen Strike constantly misses people that are stacked right on top of the person who's getting hit, resulting in only 3 people getting hit and all three dying?

Why is it that his Unseen Strike once or twice an encounter randomly comes from a different direction, like the side or the front, instead of the back like it's supposed to, killing the person who has it?

Honestly every time we finally down him it feels like we got lucky with RNG that he didn't bug out on us this time.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
people are pixels off towards boss, the strike graphic is mistelling, as it begins perfectly on him, if you're doing it correctly (stacking behind the person, in relation to the boss) it will hit everyone fine.
Reply Quote
29 Human Mage
12/05/2012 12:22 AMPosted by Postonforums
people are pixels off towards boss, the strike graphic is mistelling, as it begins perfectly on him, if you're doing it correctly (stacking behind the person, in relation to the boss) it will hit everyone fine.

Whoa whoa wait "behind the person?" But I thought Ta'yak always attacked from behind doing a cone? Wouldn't you stack in front of the person?
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
12/05/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Bahia

Whoa whoa wait "behind the person?" But I thought Ta'yak always attacked from behind doing a cone? Wouldn't you stack in front of the person?

as in

Tayak > Person with strike > Raid

As far as I can tell the actual direction the player is facing doesn't matter. Once hes picked them, anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight

He attacks from behind the person in relation to their starting point, if you take 2 steps forward, and group stacks behind person, it will hit them.

Once he disappears, he teleports, and will move based on where the person is moving, so you can manipulate what direction he shoots, it only seems inconsistent when people are inconsistent.
Reply Quote
29 Human Mage
12/05/2012 12:26 AMPosted by Ðemolition

as in

Tayak > Person with strike > Raid

As far as I can tell the actual direction the player is facing doesn't matter. Once hes picked them, anyway.

Okay. So if the actual direction the player is facing doesn't matter, how does one tell from which direction Ta'yak will strike?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
If the marked player doesn't get into melee range of where ta'yak was at 2 seconds left (the point where they get rooted in place), ta'yak will move to that players location from a slightly off angle.

The real challenge is not having anyone get gibbed by a random melee swing immediately after unseen strike goes off.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Okay. So if the actual direction the player is facing doesn't matter, how does one tell from which direction Ta'yak will strike?

It's 180 Degrees from where Bladelod was in relation to the person.

So, it's behind them in relation to bladelord.
Reply Quote
29 Human Mage
12/05/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Postonforums

He attacks from behind the person in relation to their starting point, if you take 2 steps forward, and group stacks behind person, it will hit them.

Once he disappears, he teleports, and will move based on where the person is moving, so you can manipulate what direction he shoots, it only seems inconsistent when people are inconsistent.

(After thinking about this for five minutes)

Okay. Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

Person A is standing at X the moment Ta'yak appears. Person A takes two steps forwards, then does a 180 just for kicks. Ta'yak then does his cone attack towards person A while standing at X?

Does this get altered if person A takes two steps, blinks, then takes another four steps before getting frozen?

Or, do you mean that if person A is at X, then when Ta'yak disappears, takes one step forward, spins and takes three steps right, then spins again and takes one step left, that if you were to draw a line from X to the person's end point, that Ta'yak attacks along that line?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but too many Ta'yak wipes have fried my brain.
Reply Quote
29 Human Mage
12/05/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Postonforums

It's 180 Degrees from where Bladelod was in relation to the person.

So, it's behind them in relation to bladelord.

Oh. Hmm. That makes sense.
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock
A silhouette of the boss will appear just a second before Hidden Strike.
We made a little positional adjustments JUST as we see it pop out. A slight step forward or backward to make sure we get the hit.
Seems like a gamble but at least 8 of us get hit at any time
Reply Quote
Easiest way I've found is to look for the silhouette of Ta'yak. You have about two seconds to make sure you're in front of him. Also kind of obvious but since no one's mentioned it I'll throw it out there: people with the DoT need to be topped off before and after the vanish. We've had many instances where someone died not from the strike but because of DoT ticks shortly after(or they LoSd their healers behind a pillar, or derped into a tornado right after).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
At least on normal (I haven't done HM) you've got enough leeway to just have the DoT'd target stay out entirely.
Reply Quote
We set our stack point in front of the pillars on the sides of the main corridor. When he is about to cast unseen strike we all head for the stack point no matter who it is on. And being that we stack in front of a pillar, we eliminate half the area where he can appear and do the move, essentially guaranteeing the direction it comes from. The only thing we have to worry about is making it to the stack points in time. We didnt have too many problems with this on our first crack at this guy on Monday. We usually stack two times per location for each pillar, we move the boss down the hall when tornadoes get a little hectic. Havent downed him yet but this part is not the hang up. We just havent been able to push him over. Got him to 100k on our groups first crack at him. I hope to down this boss tonight or next monday.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]