Survivability Ability Idea for FDKs

90 Night Elf Druid
It's pretty obvious that Death Knights are hurting quite a bit in the Defensives department especially against physical damage. I have been doing some nerdstorming lately trying to come up a cool, non-OP ability to alleviate the issue a little bit and I think I may have come up with something good.

I play Feral Druid in PvP a lot and one thing I noticed Death Knights are lacking is an ability that makes me and other melees want to switch off a Death Knight. Warriors for example have Shield Wall, Ferals have Survival Instincts and sometimes Dispersion and Divine Shield, Rets have Divine Shield and HoP, Mages have Ice Block, the list goes on. Almost every single class in the game for the exception of maybe Shamans and Boomkins have something to make melee attackers want to switch off to a different target.

So, here goes.

Embrace of Death
Passive
Whenever you fall below 35% health, you prepare yourself to join death once more. For the next 15 seconds, direct physical damage will cause you to gain Numbness. Effect ends if 5 seconds elapse without any incoming physical damage. This ability cannot trigger more than once per 60 seconds.

Numbness
Reduces damage taken by 5%, stacking up to 5 times. Upon reaching a fifth application you become one with death, granting you immunity to all effects which cause loss of control for 10 seconds and allowing the use of Death Coil on yourself.

This alone is probably not enough to save Death Knights still, but paired with Icebound Fortitude, it will surely make melee want to put pressure somewhere else.

Obviously all the numbers, such are duration times and damage reduction percentages, are on there just so you get an idea. If you think it's too overpowered or underpowered then suggest ways of tweaking it. Anyway, there it is, am ready for the incoming flame xD.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Can I have my bear form back now?
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
Embrace of Death
Passive
Whenever you fall below 35% health, you prepare yourself to join death once more. For the next 15 seconds, direct physical damage will cause you to gain Numbness. Effect ends if 5 seconds elapse without any incoming physical damage. This ability cannot trigger more than once per 60 seconds.

Numbness
Reduces damage taken by 5%, stacking up to 5 times. Upon reaching a fifth application you become one with death, granting you immunity to all effects which cause loss of control for 10 seconds and allowing the use of Death Coil on yourself.

This alone is probably not enough to save Death Knights still, but paired with Icebound Fortitude, it will surely make melee want to put pressure somewhere else.
This alone is far more than enough to allow death knights to survive. Problem is it is an overpowered idea.

Either allow the use of death coil, or have the reduced damage taken. Just not both.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This alone is far more than enough to allow death knights to survive. Problem is it is an overpowered idea.

Either allow the use of death coil, or have the reduced damage taken. Just not both.

True, the fifth application part might overpowered, but only if you fail at the mechanic. Once people start countering the mechanic properly, it really only buys the DK 5 seconds of no melee train.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman

True, the fifth application part might overpowered, but only if you fail at the mechanic. Once people start countering the mechanic properly, it really only buys the DK 5 seconds of no melee train.
Don't get me wrong it isn't a bad idea, you just added to much benefit into the ability. Truth be told allowing the use of death coil isn't a bad idea at all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Embrace of Death
Passive

Numbness

I might be bias (I'm completely bias), but I feel like the reduction in damage wouldn't provide enough stacks fast enough to help alone. Not kicking in until 35%, you would already be a couple hits from death, with the way burst is atm. Also, with the high cost of death coil, it alone wouldn't be enough to help imo. Together however, they do make for a good ability. It would take atleast a little bit of skill to get full benefit from it and at the same time, isn't so strong you would be forced to switch targets. 1 min cd may be too short, but this idea is far more balanced than abilities that actually do force target switches. I like this idea alot, but like I said, I'm bias. lol
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
DK survivability is fine, considering how much damage they can produce, its an even trade off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ok, so maybe up the CD to 90 seconds? Could also nerf the healing from Death Coil while this is up if need be in order to balance it out a bit.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
12/05/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Mowzeh
DK survivability is fine, considering how much damage they can produce, its an even trade off.
Considering the damage other classes can do are of close to equal value to DKs says otherwise. Warriors are one example of a class that can do a ton of damage, but they have the defense.

The only way that this could be considered an even trade off is if the burst other classes with higher defensive values drop.
Edited by Gasleak on 12/5/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/05/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Mowzeh

I have to disagree with you. DK damage is greatly overrated because they're always top damage in BGs. AoE damage doesn't score kills. DK single target damage is good, but not nearly good enough to warrant having such weak survivability.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
12/05/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Claw
Ok, so maybe up the CD to 90 seconds? Could also nerf the healing from Death Coil while this is up if need be in order to balance it out a bit.

It's hard to judge off of paper, but 90 sec I think would be more fair than 1 min. Also, death coil healing costs so much already, unless it's more op than it looks, the cost should offset the amount of healing we get from it. On top of that, being an ability that triggers, instead of on use, makes it a little bit harder to have that runic ready to heal with.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman

It's hard to judge off of paper, but 90 sec I think would be more fair than 1 min. Also, death coil healing costs so much already, unless it's more op than it looks, the cost should offset the amount of healing we get from it. On top of that, being an ability that triggers, instead of on use, makes it a little bit harder to have that runic ready to heal with.
It could just be a flat 25% reduced damage taken when they hit 35% health, on a 1minute ICD. Having no need to stack up, allowing you the possibility to survive slightly longer than normal.

Obviously increase the value if it appears to weak.
Edited by Gasleak on 12/5/2012 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
STOP JUST STOP WITH THE DK QQ!!! OMFG !!!

seriously lets nerf warriors and mages and take it from there. DKS STOP TRYING TO BE WARRIORS.

This is right, nerf the classes that need the work, and leave the balanced classes like DK's alone
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

seriously lets nerf warriors and mages and take it from there. DKS STOP TRYING TO BE WARRIORS.

Paladins stop trying to be a DK okay?

I love it when people are like "ermagerd dk's so op they top damage in battleground ermagerd so op" seeing as I look over to recount and see... hmm 30% damage howling blast and herma... 20% frost fever. Yes our damage is extremely OP must be nerfed seeing as every class in the game forgets that a Deathknight can't survive you peeing on them. In rated battle grounds I told my team to kill the death knight first. Why? They have no really good survival cd's to survive a full train wreck on their face while going for the lock or mage will only cause the more powerful "don't attack my bro" cd's to go off. A good frost mage will out damage me in a rated battle ground as I saw in one I was playing. Death knights direly need on of these cd's that a great deal of classes actually have.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

This is right, nerf the classes that need the work, and leave the balanced classes like DK's alone

Bitter rogue you are, where were u last season lol...... At least rogues had last season where they top dogs. Now this is second season in the row for dk's where they struggle to even find team.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

I agree. I do think it makes sense to want to see how things are after warriors/mages are toned down. However, dks were a train target in cata too. Mages/warriors being toned down, won't change that. The ability being discussed here, is a very valid option. If you feel like it would be op, lets hear why, instead of just..."Dk QQ!, OMFG!!"
Reply Quote
since you mentioned it, mages need some survivability too..
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
This is seriously inventive, GJ

Yeah your right DK's dont really have an ability that makes opponents switch of you, some classes have more than 1 (warrs get sheild wall and die by the sword).

For this to be effective, with all the burst in the game atm, I think it has to kick in at 50%. It needs a longer cd, I'd say 2mins. This is an ability that forces other classes to switch. If they don't switch there is a chance the DK's going to take 25% less damage and get CC immunity and extra Lichborne heals. For this reason I don't think its overpowered, as, if opponents are smart and know what the ability does they will simply stop attacking the DK for 5 seconds.

As a DK I would like to trigger it manually (i.e. use it as a counter, when I see the warrior go red and pop strength trink, I want it then), similar abilities other classes have are manual, any thoughts on that? And of course this ability could not be available to Blood Spec
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
12/05/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Gasleak

It could just be a flat 25% reduced damage taken when they hit 35% health, on a 1minute ICD. Having no need to stack up, allowing you the possibility to survive slightly longer than normal.

Obviously increase the value if it appears to weak.

Sounds reasonable, but I'm worried that with blood pres, it could be a little too much to have it on a 1 min cd. It doesn't sound like it would be, unless they nerf burst. If they did nerf burst however, alot of def talents/abilities are going to seem op.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]