Elusive brew sometimes only giving 2 stacks?

90 Pandaren Monk
So Today I got a few upgrades. Two pieces of tier as well as crafted myself the scribe staff. I noticed tanking today that instead of getting 3 stacks of elusive brew on a crit like the tooltip says, I sometimes get 2 (and sometimes 3).

Is this a bug with this particular weapon? Or bug from the 2pc that increases the dodge % of elusive brew?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Brewing: Elusive Brew
Requires Monk (Brewmaster)
Requires level 36
Your autoattack critical strikes grant up to 3 charges of Elusive Brew, based on weapon speed. Use Elusive Brew to consume the charges.

Elusive Brew can stack up to 15 times.

=)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Brewing: Elusive Brew
Requires Monk (Brewmaster)
Requires level 36
Your autoattack critical strikes grant up to 3 charges of Elusive Brew, based on weapon speed. Use Elusive Brew to consume the charges.

Elusive Brew can stack up to 15 times.

=)

The tooptip is vague, for example it leaves out the 2h vs dw distinction completely. I took the works "up to" to coincide with what I have read from multiple sources (monk tanking guides both on these forums and elsewhere) that:

An autoattack crit with a 1h weapon (whether MH or OH) will always generate 1 stack.
An autoattack crit with a 2h weapon will always generate 3 stacks.

Where does getting 2 stacks from a 2h crit come into play?

Before today I am certain I never got less than 3 stacks per. The charges of brew was always 3, 6, 9, 12, or 15.

Today I see 2, 4, 7, 11 etc pop up all the time.
Edited by Zamps on 12/6/2012 1:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Found it, the formula for elusive brew charges for 2h is:

2H: [3.0*WeaponSpeed/3.6]

So using a 3.6 speed weapon (what my previous blue was, and I believe the slowest 2h now-a-days) you will always gain 3 charges. The new staff I crafted is 3.3, which gives me

3.0*3.3/3.6 = 2.75.

Or: 2 charges 25% of the time and 3 charges 75% of the time.

An equal decrease in effectiveness of 8.93%, to balance the weapon is attacking 8.93% faster.

Bottom line is the system neither penalizes nor incentives using any speed of 2her.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Today I see 2, 4, 7, 11 etc pop up all the time.

There now seems to be a bug seeing that you had a proc of 4.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/06/2012 01:10 AMPosted by Zamps
for example it leaves out the 2h vs dw distinction completely.

Considering the fact that weapon speed will always vary greatly between a 1 handed weapon and a staff/polearm, I think the tooltip covers that distinction just fine. It doesn't specifically mention 2h or DW, but if you think about that fact that you will never see something like a 3.3 speed 1 hander, it makes sense.

And not going to lie, I've never see an absolute answer saying DW will give X stacks while 2H will always give Y stacks. Possible that you just read an uninformed poster.
Edited by Boozette on 12/6/2012 1:04 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]