Glyph of Shadowbolt for Affliction

90 Blood Elf Monk
12/27/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Cynwise
I'm concerned that this might make Affliction feel too 'magey,' because as the OP pointed out it's similar in concept to Arcane Missiles.

Stop right there. That way of thinking has cost us quite a few times in the past (people used to !@#$% about Soul Harvest being too "magey" -- now look at it)

Mechanicwise, it wouldn't be like Arcane Missiles at all, as AM requires a proc to use while channeled Shadow Bolt(s) would be spammable at will and (for affliction) would maintain the mechanics of MG. One could even argue that "Shadow Bolt" is too "magey" because you shoot a bolt/ball/whatever at your target, just like fireball/frost(fire) bolt/etc.

Certain abilities are going to be similar across classes, there's just no getting around that.
Edited by Aesica on 12/27/2012 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/06/2012 12:11 PMPosted by Lokthen
If you want to cast shadow bolts, why don't you play demonology?

because affliction was known for dots and INSTANT CAST shadowbolts?

sorry, am i the only one who remembers this?
or are the FOTMs trying too hard to blend in?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'm with you Brutha,

Affliction got free SBs, Demo had soul link in Vanilla, then Fel Guard in BC, then Soul Fire Wrath and onward, Destro got Conflag and later Chaos Bolt
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
bump for 5.2
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Any chance people see this happening?
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Thank you Mouse for your support
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
i was fond supporter for Drain Life filler back then - as it felt more in-line with our Drain Soul execution phase

so sorry - though i do like your idea, i'm much fond of the current Malefic Grasp that we have. not to mention it functions and offers far more dps.

though i would like to have a instant SB proc to watch for, like the old nightfall we have

our rotation so far is smooth and easy to ramp up, thanks greatly to developer's hardwork - but i felt a sense of 'stale' in our dps-ing.

no fun procs to watch for.

Haunt is pretty much a 'get it or keep going' piece now - i'm at a debate as to do we 'have' to switch to Drain Soul pre-execute when we used up our shards and nightfall isnt proccing.
as i have times were like a full 1 or 2 minute nightfall just doesn't proc and i'm limping with no haunt debuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm not a fan of the stance dancing, or being overreliant on a pet. I enjoy playing affliction, I am just requesting a cosmetic change for the sake of nostalgia, Shadow bolt was you're first spell, and was a staple until this last expansion.
I'm not asking for an overhaul of the mechanics, or replacing MG entirely (Though not to long ago I was) Having a channeled shadow bolt spam, like arcane missles, where it does damage at the same amount, at the same intervals as MG, with the same effect seems like something that be added with a minor glyph, that already exists. The animation exists in game, and wouldn't change anything in our output or rotation.
Just take the Demo's tri-shadowbolt, loop it and make it last 5 seconds.
I know that it's not as cake as that, and will require some work under the hood, adding "shadowbolt" to the code that affects MG, but it's a small suggestion to see an old friend

I came into this thread thinking I was just going to post a reply stating how Blizz changed the spec for a reason, and stop !@#$%ing about every single thing that they change. Ect..

I really like MG a lot, I like the channeling, because that's what I was doing in pvp before with Drain life anyway, so the gameplay is still the same, except it causes me to do more damage with it's DoT proc effect.

With that being said, I do miss my free, instant Shadow bolt from the nightfall proc. I don't really make use of my soul shards unless I need to instantly apply my DoTs, summon a new pet, or use Haunt (which is more of a burst him now while he's low on health ability) so I'd much rather have my free shadow bolt back, and they could make it like a lot of other abilities they have in game, that can only be used on proc *like a warrior's overpower*.

I think that would be nifty, and would solve a lot of QQing.
Reply Quote
89 Human Warlock
Only problem i could see with this is MG increases our dots damage and if a dot ticked in between each shadow bolt trio then it wouldnt really make sense for me how that dot would get the increased damage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/22/2013 09:07 AMPosted by Ihaveaìds
Only problem i could see with this is MG increases our dots damage and if a dot ticked in between each shadow bolt trio then it wouldnt really make sense for me how that dot would get the increased damage.

Malefic Grasp procs the extra DoT tick (the 50% tick) each second MG does it's static damage. It does damage every second for *number* of seconds (based on haste) and each second it does damage, it procs a 50% damage tick of each of the DoTs you have on your target.

If this was changed to work with shadow bolt, you would get an extra tick for 50% of the damage you deal each time your shadow bolt would hit the target. Shadow bolt being a 2 second cast, it would be less effective, and you would realistically have to have it set up to do 100% damage from your DoT ticks to make up for the 1 second tick from Malefic grasp.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Uhm, I think my intro may have thrown people off.

What I'm saying is a cosmetic changed, to turn MG from a purple laser, to a channelled shadow bolt volley using the current Trio shadow bolt. In case anyone hasn't seen the triple one it's actually spaced out so the Shadow bolts look more like a stream hitting at separate intervals.

Again I will admit at first I was QQing for not having it, but now I'm just trying to make a minor glyph affect the cosmetic look of one spell, having a choice for the player to choose the Purple, mind flay like laser, or a channeled shadow bolt volley.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'm submitting a few screenshots to clear up confusion

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y512/getequipped/WoWScrnShot_012213_132622_zpsc09426a8.jpg

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y512/getequipped/WoWScrnShot_012213_132718_zps87f9c407.jpg

Pretty much I just want the current in game glyph to change the graphic of MG to be changed to that, being a steady stream of shadow bolts. No damage boost, or the mechanics changed on how it works. Just flying skulls.

The flowers are because I cast Lifeblood trying to get my haste up to try and get more then 1 on cast on screen
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You're not "overreliant" on your pet as demonology.

He attacks whatever I attack, he never dies unless I do, and every minute I press one button to use his superability. It's really like he's not even there, I don't understand when people say they don't want to manage a pet. There really is almost zero management.

Try flying on Alysrazor as Demo. Then try to say Demo isn't heavily reliant on the pet.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You're not "overreliant" on your pet as demonology.

He attacks whatever I attack, he never dies unless I do, and every minute I press one button to use his superability. It's really like he's not even there, I don't understand when people say they don't want to manage a pet. There really is almost zero management.

Try flying on Alysrazor as Demo. Then try to say Demo isn't heavily reliant on the pet.

Another point of debate, how many Demo Locks have you seen take Grimoire of Sacrifice? Their mastery also puts out the damage that can be done by their Demon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Another point of debate, how many Demo Locks have you seen take Grimoire of Sacrifice? Their mastery also puts out the damage that can be done by their Demon.

this is a possibly, a main defector for demo locks to pick GoSac

if this is take care off, should made it a more 'viable' option

btw - where's our 'promised' female form of pet/meta?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Bump
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
What can I say, I'm tenacious,
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I'm sorry but I got to say malefic grasp is so beautiful (one of the rare things that make spriest jealous) and sadly now shadow bolt belongs to demo lock. But if it's a glyph easy to do that doesn't slow down other things to do.... why not?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
thank you for your support Hankuley, Again put it in the suggestion option in the help menu, or for those lucky enough to comment on the 5.2 notes, please see if you can make it happen
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]