Another help me choose an alt thread :)

20 Blood Elf Priest
~ What have you played before?
Every class with the exception of a Monk.

~ How far did you level it?
Most to mid/upper 20's or early 30's with the exception of rogue (mid teens, can't stand them), warrior (12ish). I have leveled 3 healers above 60 (a disc priest, holy priest and a holy pally, yes I guess I am a masochist).

~ Describe what you liked and disliked about those classes. Be detailed!
Loved having a pet and damage output with hunter and warlock. I liked their survivability and their soloing capabilities. I wasn't the biggest fan of the dots, but I am coming to like them now. I just didn't feel like I was very "good" with either. Loved almost everything about the mage: aoe's, frost, portals, food/water big bursty damage. I didn't like their "squishyness". I got roflstomped in bg's. Hated the rogue mechanisms and I was horrible at them. Warrior is interesting but I would only want to be one as a tank and I feel I need to get a handle on DPS since I only ever heal. Priest - love every single thing about them, no bad. Never have played shadow - interested but seems like a weak warlock with some healing abilities? Druid - didn't like bear form (tank), kitty was too much like the rogue for me, boomkin - no, and ended up healing with them. Shaman - only liked healing with. Paladin was ok, but again, I'd probably end up healing because it is my comfort zone. I liked DK, but never got far with it because their were so many I just got sick of them for awhile.

~ With a friend or alone? What's your friend going to be leveling?
Alone, hubby prefers xbox now :(

~ Are you leveling via PvE or PvP? Chain-running dungeons?
Some dungeons and questing, but really getting into pvp so a lot of that.

~Will you be doing primarily raids/dungeons at level cap (PvE) or knocking the opposing faction in the balls over a flag (PvP)?
Not sure yet, probably both.

~ Will you be multiboxing or just playing a single character?
Single. No way I could handle more then one!

~ Race preference? Either for looks or the actual racials (or lore!).
Must be horde. Love orcs and taurens. Love the lore behind undead and troll, but I just can't stick with them - their voices or animations/walk/etc drive me nuts. Aesthetically I like belfs. Haven't messed with panda's or goblins really.

~ Heals/tank/DPS? What's your style for DPS - melee or ranged?
I've only ever "really" leveled healers. I tend to give up when leveling a hybrid and healing, comfort zone you know? I want to eventually tank, but feel like I need to experience DPS before being responsible for groups, hence needing to level a dps and stick with it. I'd say I probably prefer ranged.

~ Any favorite game mechanics? (DoTs, HoTs, stealth, mana, etc)
Doesn't really matter - I'm most familiar with mana.

~ Hybrid or pure? Does it matter?
I prefer to go pure as I am afraid I'll go back to comfort with a hybrid.

~ Pet or temporary pet or none at all? Does it matter?
Doesn't matter.

~ Throw in any extra details here:
I took a 2 plus year break and after the holiday's (when I am no longer broke) will reactivate my account. I am determined to level a DPS to cap. I always ended up healing but want to move away from that for awhile. I just need a little guidance on what might be good for me to try to stick with. I've been away from it for so long and with all the changes I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Tanking isn't all that hard, especially due to the way that earlier levels are essentially tutorials for the higher levels. I can boil my experiences to date down to a few bullet points:

• Turn on nameplates when you're in a dungeon. By default, you do this by pressing V. This makes it a lot easier to see who's an enemy, and to click on someone if you want their attantion.
  • You don't have much in the way of AoE attacks at early levels. Regularly hitting tab to spread your attacks around helps keep all the enemies focused on you. Ideally you'll position yourself so that the only enemies you see are ones you're fighting, so you don't waste an attack by tabbing to someone you can't reach.
  • Your taunt should not be part of your regular rotation, since it's all but useless on an enemy you already have aggro on. Use it to grab attention back on yourself when an enemy is attacking someone else. And prepare to focus on that enemy for a bit, lest you lose their attention shortly after.
  • Situational awareness. Spare the occasional glance at the party member frames to see if anybody is in danger of drawing aggro, or already has it on them. Especially if that target is the healer, you'll want to get that attention back on you. Even if it means pulling every enemy on you over to the attacker's location.
  • Sometimes you just get partnered with the wrong people. I've had plenty of parties that were ruined by poor team players. This often goes hand in hand with being draped in heirlooms. If someone insists on running ahead and soloing everything and/or overdrawing, it's on them. Not on you.
  • Having said all that, Tauren Warrior. No healing spec for you to fall back on, your racial power is an AoE, and the extra HP make you easier on the healer.
    Edited by Cogruko on 12/6/2012 12:43 PM PST
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]