Guardian Meta Gem: Austere vs Agile

90 Night Elf Druid
Most of the guides suggest using Austere Primal Diamond (stamina + armor). I know agility and crit are both good for tanking too so I am curious why Agile Primal Diamond is not recommended - anyone have an explanation?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/05/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Etherar
I know agility and crit are both good for tanking too so I am curious why Agile Primal Diamond is not recommended - anyone have an explanation?

It's better for DPS, but worse for survival.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Right now I am setup for DPS and did 4/6 MV Normal last week without any issue with pretty bad gear (470 item level - got some upgrades since then). Elegon does a lot of damage so I am wondering if I should reforge/gem for survival to help get through that. Any tips on when to go for survival over DPS?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/06/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Etherar
Elegon does a lot of damage so I am wondering if I should reforge/gem for survival to help get through that.
Rage generation and proper use of SD/FR is better for normals.
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Druid
BTW, if the Agile Primal Diamond would give 3% crit chance, it might actually be better than Austere.
But it doesn't give 3% crit chance, it increases the damage you do when you crit by 3%.

12/06/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Etherar
Any tips on when to go for survival over DPS?

The nice thing right now is that, except for the meta-gem, we don't really have to make that choice. A "reliable RPS" setup (Hit/Exp > Crit > Haste > Mastery) is the best for DPS and really good for survival. (Maybe even the best for survival, depending on whom you're talking too.)

And as for the meta-gem: I'd pretty much always use Austere (or Effulgent on Lei-Shi) while tanking.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
The agi one is better if you're going for an Exp/Crit build, which you should be doing anyways. With a 488 ilvl, I can get 45% crit fully raid buffed. You aren't really losing any survivability, and you're doing a TON more damage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
12/06/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Ptarr
And as for the meta-gem: I'd pretty much always use Austere (or Effulgent on Lei-Shi) while tanking.
Unless you don't need the extra survival and want to do more DPS instead ;)

12/06/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Drubearymore
The agi one is better if you're going for an Exp/Crit build, which you should be doing anyways.
Better for DPS, yes. It's always better for DPS regardless of what method of gearing you choose.

Just like the Armor/Spell metas are always better (encounter dependant) for survival regardless of what method of gearing you choose.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/06/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Drubearymore
The agi one is better if you're going for an Exp/Crit build, which you should be doing anyways. With a 488 ilvl, I can get 45% crit fully raid buffed. You aren't really losing any survivability, and you're doing a TON more damage.

The agility meta increases your crit damage, not your crit. So you are sacrificing additional armor (which reduces damage) for more dps (which does virtually nothing for survival).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]