plz help, Im a spriest and SUCK in arenas..

90 Human Priest
First off let me say I play a warlock in the 1800s. I am not an elite player, but I am no "noob" either. I understand interupts, crowd control, macros and all that. I know I need to replace my bracers, and I accidentally purchased the wrong helmet, but those alone should not be the reason I am getting totally destroyed. I played a priest to 1800 in wrath, though I realize much has changed, I do have a good understanding of the shadow priest.

My warlock is destro, and he can literally, not exaggerating, can "tank" 10X better and can self heal probably 3X times better. I'm not making a locks are superior post, I'm posting comparisons so maybe my priest can get to my locks level. Now when my lock started out with contenders gear, he got wrecked, but now with 7 piece dreadful and T1 weps, I'm a real pain to kill. I was hoping my priest would be the same, but not so much.

I know warriors are really strong right now, I have read the psyfiend and guise Nerf posts, but in arenas (2s) I can't do anything. I immediately get focused and trained, can't guise out, fade get gripped, fear they enrage out, disperse hamstringed, try to heal interupted, stunned, locked out and die.

Im not specifically talking about warriors (though they seem to be the hardest) but any class tears me apart. I know I will get the response "delete your toon" or what ever but I'm truly asking for advice, any advice to improve my priest. My spec, gear, talents, play style whatever. I enjoy arenas but honestly I just cap each week with friends, get better gear, and me and about 5 other friends group up in vent and do bg's. I want my priest to be viable instead of an easy hk.

Thanks for any input.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Let me also add I purchased the spirit off hand with the intentions of building a disc set, and being able to have interchangeable weapons.
Reply Quote
87 Human Warlock
2's will generally be a terrible time for you as a spriest in this state of the game.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
^ agreed.

I was doing okay with a frost Mage but now I roll disc and play with a WW monk. We're only at 1700 now so I'm no elite player either but I found shadow to be much better in RBGs than arenas.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Rogue
Always spec into Tendrils if they have a warrior on their team in 2s. It gives alot of breathing room.
Edited by Luthunt on 12/6/2012 5:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/06/2012 05:08 AMPosted by Luthunt
Always spec into Tendrils if they have a warrior on their team in 2s. It gives alot of breathing room.

I always found that tendrils had zero range. I have had times where a warrior was beating the piss outta me and hit tendrils and nothin, no roots...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/06/2012 06:14 AMPosted by Dírtbag
warrior was beating the piss outta me and hit tendrils and nothin, no roots...

Have had that happen to me too.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If it's melee (warrior mostly) you're having trouble with, think of what things they have for mobility and use your utility to counter them. So if a warrior charges you, time it well and disarm him as soon as he charges. Or you could spectral guise the charge. If you need to kite, fear him then fade so he can't charge you after he beserker rages. If he's still on you, you can still root him.
Spriests have a lot of utility this expansion, just gotta use it wisely
For 2v2, I recommend running with a mage, rsham, or rdruid. Just force trinkets on the other team, get a double fear, and pop everything and burst. I recommend power infusion for 2v2 if you want to solo healers.

If you want, you can copy my gems. I gem for a lot of pvp power but still a decent amount of resil. The socket bonuses are nice too.

I checked your gear and you should really replace one of your proc trinkets with an on-use spell power one and macro it to your power infusion if you spec into it. Insane burst
Edited by Jessqt on 12/6/2012 8:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
@Jessqt, What exactly do you do with Power Infusion when you pop it? Mind Spike spam?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
After I get the double fear, I pop my on-use trinket and power infusion and dot both targets (Dot the kill target to kill ofc, and dot the off target for procs and to be a possible swap target if i dont manage to kill my current target). After I get the dots off, I do
3 orb dp
mindblast
use procs
divine star
spam mindflay
silence healer out of fear
mind flay/use procs
disarm healer
They're usually in swd range by now if the healer didn't trinket the silence. I also use void tendrils to root the healer if it's a sham.
I've killed warriors through shield wall at 30% and second wind with power infusion, so it's a lot of burst. You can solo healers too if they get a bad fear path out in the open.
Edited by Jessqt on 12/6/2012 9:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
if you want to do good in 2s find a partner that can tank ask him to jump in first loking the class that is most likely to one shot you in 2 sec and stay back dropping deeps on kill target
Edited by Lykorys on 12/7/2012 4:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Play with a frost mage. They can wreck warriors and with polymorph, fears, novas, disarm and tendrils you two can control the match pretty well. Also, with the burst both spriest and mage can do, you can nuke something very quickly.

12/06/2012 06:14 AMPosted by Dírtbag

I always found that tendrils had zero range. I have had times where a warrior was beating the piss outta me and hit tendrils and nothin, no roots...

Is it possible that they had Avatar up? That would have been pre 5.1 of course.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
If it's melee (warrior mostly) you're having trouble with, think of what things they have for mobility and use your utility to counter them. So if a warrior charges you, time it well and disarm him as soon as he charges. Or you could spectral guise the charge. If you need to kite, fear him then fade so he can't charge you after he beserker rages. If he's still on you, you can still root him.
Spriests have a lot of utility this expansion, just gotta use it wisely
For 2v2, I recommend running with a mage, rsham, or rdruid. Just force trinkets on the other team, get a double fear, and pop everything and burst. I recommend power infusion for 2v2 if you want to solo healers.

If you want, you can copy my gems. I gem for a lot of pvp power but still a decent amount of resil. The socket bonuses are nice too.

I checked your gear and you should really replace one of your proc trinkets with an on-use spell power one and macro it to your power infusion if you spec into it. Insane burst

Let me add a few things here.

As a S.priest you do NOT want to use spectral guise or disarm on a charge, pretty much every warrior is only going to be disarmed for 4 seconds max thanks to our set bonus.

Void tendrils work nicely against warriors especially after they've popped Avatar and Recklessness, THAT however is when you want to disarm or dispersion (wait for the shockwave or staggering shout if the warrior has it)

I see alot of priests use Psyfiend and while it works nice on other classes you're gonna get boned against a warrior because we can either fear/pummel "it" or just use beserker rage for the entire duration rendering it useless. At least with void tendrils I am forced to attack the damn thing to get out and that would also be a nice time to use spectral guise to just get completely out of my target.

Do not try "kiting" warriors, I promise you it won't work with 2 charges and Heroic Leap every 30 seconds AND Intervene you will find it hardly possible to do this. Warriors weaknesses are stuns and roots.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

As a S.priest you do NOT want to use spectral guise or disarm on a charge, pretty much every warrior is only going to be disarmed for 4 seconds max thanks to our set bonus.

Void tendrils work nicely against warriors especially after they've popped Avatar and Recklessness, THAT however is when you want to disarm or dispersion (wait for the shockwave or staggering shout if the warrior has it)

I see alot of priests use Psyfiend and while it works nice on other classes you're gonna get boned against a warrior because we can either fear/pummel "it" or just use beserker rage for the entire duration rendering it useless. At least with void tendrils I am forced to attack the damn thing to get out and that would also be a nice time to use spectral guise to just get completely out of my target.

Do not try "kiting" warriors, I promise you it won't work with 2 charges and Heroic Leap every 30 seconds AND Intervene you will find it hardly possible to do this. Warriors weaknesses are stuns and roots.

Your first point.. Why would you not counter that? You don't want the warrior touching you, period. And aside from just saying "no, do not do this", you give no actual reasoning as to why. Spectral guise the charge. It delays his damage on you even more and you can get dots off easier in an opener.

Your 2nd point about void tendrils.. No. You want to delay dispersion as long as possible, and using roots on a warrior with cooldowns popped and bubbling your void tendril is the best way to do so. If they get out of your tendrils, then you could disarm them. Using orbs defensively as the first line of defense isn't as effective as using your other utility first, THEN disarming if it's your last hope before having to pop a major cooldown.

Your 3rd point about "do not kite warriors". I don't even have a slow and I can kite warriors if I use fade/fear/spectral guise/roots/disarm right.

I feel that you don't fully know what you're talking about, and your ratings show that.
Edited by Jessqt on 12/8/2012 11:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
For 2's you pretty much need a frost mage for the control.

Spriest+frost mage can shut a warrior down for the whole time hes cd's are up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

Your first point.. Why would you not counter that? You don't want the warrior touching you, period. And aside from just saying "no, do not do this", you give no actual reasoning as to why. Spectral guise the charge. It delays his damage on you even more and you can get dots off easier in an opener.

Your 2nd point about void tendrils.. No. You want to delay dispersion as long as possible, and using roots on a warrior with cooldowns popped and bubbling your void tendril is the best way to do so. If they get out of your tendrils, then you could disarm them. Using orbs defensively as the first line of defense isn't as effective as using your other utility first, THEN disarming if it's your last hope before having to pop a major cooldown.

Your 3rd point about "do not kite warriors". I don't even have a slow and I can kite warriors if I use fade/fear/spectral guise/roots/disarm right.

I feel that you don't fully know what you're talking about, and your ratings show that.

LOL @ ratings... anyone can get carried to higher ratings buddy.

Why would you guise after a charge? (your stunned for 1.5 secs and then you'll have a hamstring on you so you won't get far)... then when you're out of it then what? Get charged/leaped, snared (and possibly rooted from staggering shout IF the warrior has it)

When I said you want to pop dispersion after a warrior pops his CD's thats if all else fails and you get caught in a shockwave..

Disarming on a warrior buys you 5 seconds... if you use it when you have us in a tendril it makes it more attractive to just trinket out of everything. (disarm/fear/root)

And 3rd I've never been kited by a shadow priest we have a 30 sec CD root breaker and are immune to fear every 20 seconds, but I dont expect all these FOTM warriors to know how to do anything else besides use a damn macro and smash their faces on their keyboards.
Edited by Mikeey on 12/8/2012 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

^ This, basically I lose all the time to this team as there is just too much CC unless my partner is a paladin
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

LOL @ ratings... anyone can get carried to higher ratings buddy.

Why would you guise after a charge? (your stunned for 1.5 secs and then you'll have a hamstring on you so you won't get far)... then when you're out of it then what? Get charged/leaped, snared (and possibly rooted from staggering shout IF the warrior has it)

When I said you want to pop dispersion after a warrior pops his CD's thats if all else fails and you get caught in a shockwave..

Disarming on a warrior buys you 5 seconds... if you use it when you have us in a tendril it makes it more attractive to just trinket out of everything. (disarm/fear/root)

And 3rd I've never been kited by a shadow priest we have a 30 sec CD root breaker and are immune to fear every 20 seconds, but I dont expect all these FOTM warriors to know how to do anything else besides use a damn macro and smash their faces on their keyboards.

Anyone can get carried, yeah. And? You're a 1500 warrior, I shouldn't really expect you to know anything about priests.

No, you don't spectral guise after the charge. You spectral guise the split second before he charges. Derp. You can do it with shockwave too if you have a cooldown timer for it.

Also, no good warrior is going to trinket roots unless he's 100% certain he's going to get a kill, otherwise he knows he'll be cc'd after.

Yes, you counter spriests in every way. We can still kite you though using our cooldowns right. I have yet to lose to a warrior since gag order was taken out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

^ This, basically I lose all the time to this team as there is just too much CC unless my partner is a paladin

Or run with a healer and spec into power infusion and solo healers.
Reply Quote
94 Dwarf Priest
Normally I wouldn't put replies to threads on the forums... However, after reading the replies that have been put on this thread thus far, I have decided maybe someone with half a brain should put something down. Note, that I do not really PvP that hardcore, but I at least make sure I know what I am up against.

So here's what I tell priests to do to counter warriors:

Dispersion - Only use this while 2 of 3 things are happening: You are at or below 35% HP (this is required), stunned or rooted, and you have no trinket available.

Psychic Horror - Only use this when the warrior hasn't been disarmed in the last 15 seconds and he/she has used a DPS Cooldown such as: Avatar/Bloodbath, Recklessness, or a Trinket.

Psychic Scream - Only use this when the warrior has Berserker Rage on at least a minimal 4 second cooldown and hasn't been feared in the last 15 seconds.

Void Tendrils/Psyfiend - Only use this cooldown when the warrior will be within 5 yards of it for at least a full 1 second. (Sometimes you have to use Void Tendrils and then kite the warrior into it - due to a current bug in the recognition system for triggering)

Vampiric Embrace - I love this ability. It's probably one the single best burst heals a Shadow Priest has. If you are below 60% HP and can get a full Mind Blast and 2 Mind Flays off - use this, it will nearly top your HP off.

Spectral Guise - I love using this ability as a follow-up to my Psychic Scream or Psychic Horror CDs. Not only do they lose their target, but they can't retarget you until they hit you 3 times, or the ability lasts a full 6 seconds. The huge advantage here, and is that you can determine your placement to where they have to predict where you will go, allowing you to possibly get off some easy burst damage.

Anyways, hopefully this will give some insight on when to use your defensive cooldowns and when not to do so. And like I said earlier, I am no hard-core PvP'er, but I have gathered this information from sources that would be considered valid by many (like Next Level PvP, Howtopriest, and even Arena Junkies).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]