90's ganking.

81 Gnome Death Knight
12/06/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Vyers
Cross realm raiding of the current tier has the potential to generate a lot of negative repercussions. It's not the sort of thing we'd commit to lightly.

I really don't see the negatives, unless playing with friends who have scattered while escaping dead servers is a negative.

The issue is that they're afraid of losing realm identity.

Many servers have their own little culture. Some are friendly and laid back, others are extremely focused on progression, others are populated with jerks. Often times you'll get a mix but going realm to realm sometimes you feel like it's a different game.

From Vanilla to T12 I played on an RP realm known as Scarlet Crusade. Unfortunately when my guild stopped raiding I had to look around for a place to raid with. Not wanting to leave friends I simply rerolled on a new server joining a friend I've known outside of WoW for ages.

Oh, I had concerns about it being a PvP realm but my friend assured me no one really PvPs there. They'd been there since Wrath and it's carebear as can be. Well, the culture of that realm was in comparison to SC ... less civilized ... but he really was right. Honestly I saw more world PvP on SC than I did there!

Being the doom and gloom person that I am, I warned them of coming changes in Mists that would bring world PvP back to the fore front. No, I was exaggerating things. That couldn't possibly happen!

Now the server has changed. There's much more PvP on the *gasp* PvP server. Really going as a group I quite enjoy it. Once the would be attackers see you have numbers they will very quickly flee in terror. You get a quick skirmish then can go about what you were doing before.

Unfortunately others in my guild really don't like it. They log in less frequently and often bemoan the state of things.

Eh, I've rambled on. I'ver -never- done that before. :)
90 Troll Shaman
People who say "go play on a PvE server" are being ignorant. I don't mean that in a bad way, look up the term if you think I'm trying to attack you.

Here are my reasons to my accusation:
  • Before CRZ occurred, being on a PvP realm meant the occasional or maybe a daily gank or two. Sometimes but not too often you'd get someone who camps you or camps the graveyard. Now its 0-3 ganks a quest. Its a massive change in what a PvP realm is that as a player we have no choice over.
  • Its too expensive to transfer to a PvE server. A lot of us have an alt or up to 10 alts that we choose to level and hop back and forth. If there was a one time fee to transfer all character to a new realm for $100, I would do it.
  • It would be nice if we had a choice before a realm change like that occurs. It definitely affects PvP realms a lot more than PvE.
    90 Draenei Shaman

Character transfer to your friends server then. Or have them come to yours. Problem solved.

Maybe I was not being very clear.

I am currently playing on a PvP server because I have RL friends there. And that is the only reason. I started playing there in early BC when the concept of cross server/transfer anything was not even on the horizon. Right now in my 10 man I personally know and met in RL 8 of the 10 members.

I also don't like PvP, in bgs, arenas, or otherwise.

No, Drax, I don't have RL friends to call upon if I get into an issue because we generally play at different times, we only seem to get together during raids.

My current solution to pvp is just work on a new alt. I am basically not doing any of the new 5.1 dailies because I don't want to get fight a pvp fight in any way. I have not even done the opening quest yet and I am strangely proud of that.

I would like to switch to a PvE server. I think it would cost me close to $300 to move everything over, I would gladly pay $600. But the only reason I play wow is to play with my friends, so there would be little point. I am miserable, but not miserable enough to abandon the people I like.

I also would say that yes, it is a larger issue then Blizzard makes it out to be. I have no actual proof other then my personal experience of course. But I know the reasons why many of my friends left.

So why is CrZones a good thing, if CrRaids are a bad thing? If guilds are the issue, make guilds cross realm as well, problem solved.

I'm largely in the same boat, though fortunately I'm on a server that's overwhelmingly Alliance-heavy. There is a non-transfer option available to you though: buy a second account, level a toon to 90 on the second account on a PvE server, and always be grouped with that 90 whenever you're questing. Alternatively, make some friends you can group with on a PvE server.
    100 Human Mage
    People still QQ about getting killed while playing on PvP servers?
    31 Tauren Priest
    I rolled on a PvP server and I haven't been ganked yet.

Seriously, 90s? I'm disappointed.
    100 Troll Hunter
    Darkshire is mine tonight. I'm ganking every lowbie that I see for all the pain and suffering that I had to go through while leveling up.
    90 Draenei Hunter
    People who say "go play on a PvE server" are being ignorant. I don't mean that in a bad way, look up the term if you think I'm trying to attack you.

Here are my reasons to my accusation:
  • Before CRZ occurred, being on a PvP realm meant the occasional or maybe a daily gank or two. Sometimes but not too often you'd get someone who camps you or camps the graveyard. Now its 0-3 ganks a quest. Its a massive change in what a PvP realm is that as a player we have no choice over.
  • Its too expensive to transfer to a PvE server. A lot of us have an alt or up to 10 alts that we choose to level and hop back and forth. If there was a one time fee to transfer all character to a new realm for $100, I would do it.
  • It would be nice if we had a choice before a realm change like that occurs. It definitely affects PvP realms a lot more than PvE.

Yep the days of care farming on a pvp server are long gone. I've been camped on toons I've leveled to a frustrating extent a couple times but I wouldn't want to server transfer over it. I've actually transferred a toon to this particular server not too long ago. You just gotta pay to transfer or you can man up for once.
    Edited by Reactable on 12/6/2012 1:20 PM PST
    90 Undead Warrior
    12/06/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Rayo
    People still QQ about getting killed while playing on PvP servers?

It used to be you could call up the posse and retaliate. With CRZ, that's often not possible. And so more recent complaints are a lot more valid, IMO.
    90 Undead Rogue
    Sometimes I even want to kill people of my own faction. Wouldn't that be fun.
    18 Gnome Warlock
    12/06/2012 04:31 AMPosted by Zanzabarr
    OMG you guys are gonna complain till things are changed then say "remamber when everyone on pvp realms could attack any enemy"

Lol. If only people could complain that much. It's fairly obvious Blizz doesn't mind complete and total ganking.

Ganking a level 50 with a 90 is GOOD because it's PvP that's fair....

Pre-made Battleground groups are BAD, because they are against other people of the same level that are equipped with less gear and coordination....

I don't get the logic, but that's the Blizzard stance.

Ganking is fine and not against the rules. However, corpse camping is harassment and violates the rules and is bannable. So if you are being camped report said players for harassment.
    90 Undead Rogue
    I rolled on a PvP server and I haven't been ganked yet.

Seriously, 90s? I'm disappointed.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Ganj%C3%A4/statistic#21
    Battlegrounds played: 2
    Total deaths from other players: 12
    100 Night Elf Warrior
    Ganking is fine and not against the rules. However, corpse camping is harassment and violates the rules and is bannable. So if you are being camped report said players for harassment.

This is false. You cannot report players for camping you on a pvp realm unless in extreme cases, I'm talking 8 hours+.
    90 Undead Rogue
    12/06/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Tuberz
    However, corpse camping is harassment and violates the rules and is bannable.

You're wrong.
    90 Human Rogue
    12/06/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Daxxarri
    Spending more time running back to my corpse than actually playing the game. Landing at a quest hub and dying before the NPCs and PCs even appear. Having my corpse camped because a level 90 only has to glance at me and I explode.

None of those things are griefing on a PvP realm, I'm afraid, though I freely acknowledge that they can be frustrating. Nonetheless, our stance on these issues hasn't changed since long, long before Cross Realm Zones were ever even imagined, much less implemented.

I'm really hating leveling on a PvP CRZ server, but I kinda like the attitude from the Blizzard poster. He's just laying out there, like it or leave it. It actually makes me feel better even though my situation hasn't changed.
    90 Undead Warrior
    I wonder if anybody is creating cross-realm Kill-on-sight addons, where chronic gankers could get "noticed" no matter what CRZ phase they are in. Such an addon could be fun.
    90 Undead Warlock
    Go to a PVE server if your having problems bc ganking is consider pvp bc its still "player vs player"
    90 Draenei Shaman
    Ganking a level 50 with a 90 is GOOD because it's PvP that's fair....

Pre-made Battleground groups are BAD, because they are against other people of the same level that are equipped with less gear and coordination....

I don't get the logic, but that's the Blizzard stance.
    Let me explain the logic. You can't get ganked by a level 90 at level 50 on a PvE server without opting into it. If you rolled on a PvP server you've already opted into it. That's why it's fair.

Pre-made unrated BG groups are BAD because there's an expectation going into a random unrated BG that you're going up against other casual players. Pre-made rated BG groups are encouraged in the same way that ganking is encouraged on PvP servers. The logic is similar in both cases:

If you don't want to be ganked roll on a PvE server; if you don't want to go up against pre-mades queue for an unrated BG.

Or if you prefer:

If you want to get ganked roll on a PvP server; if you want to go up against pre-mades queue up for a rated BG.

You're welcome.
    90 Night Elf Druid
    12/06/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Daxxarri
    Why? Because for too long there was very little distinction between playing on a PvE realm and playing on a PvP realm. We had inadvertently created a situation where there was little risk when leveling in the world on a PvP realm. The experiences were, for all practical purposes, virtually identical, but that wasn't what we had in mind.

Yeah I call BS, there was still world pvp from same levels and then ganking and camping from max levels. Than again I am on one of the more balanced servers and not one of the ones that created a care bear existence for themselves. Those are the servers that should be punished for creating a care bear server existence on a PVP realm.
    Edited by Noctemtenchi on 12/6/2012 1:42 PM PST
    41 Troll Warrior

If I have read this thread correctly, Daxxarri disagrees.

12/06/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Daxxarri
    Spending more time running back to my corpse than actually playing the game. Landing at a quest hub and dying before the NPCs and PCs even appear. Having my corpse camped because a level 90 only has to glance at me and I explode.

None of those things are griefing on a PvP realm, I'm afraid, though I freely acknowledge that they can be frustrating. Nonetheless, our stance on these issues hasn't changed since long, long before Cross Realm Zones were ever even imagined, much less implemented.
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]