90's ganking.

100 Human Mage
12/06/2012 04:20 AMPosted by Kareese
I have an idea. Go play a PVE realm.

I have an idea. I go to a PvE realm and ganking continues to happen on the realm I left, so the problem wasn't solved, was it?
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/06/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Shamrunt
Before that I had absoultly no clue how PVP was.

That's a load of garbage and you know it. You knew how pvp was.. heck you said it before hand... "I got ganked i called a guild member" well duh.. do that now. You don't need HGWT. Sit back, wait a couple min for someone to show up, deal with the problem, move on. Or.. just rez, hearth, go somewhere else safer. You have a ton of options available to you.. use them and stop QQ'ing about something you knew was going to happen.
90 Draenei Paladin
12/06/2012 04:31 AMPosted by Zanzabarr
OMG you guys are gonna complain till things are changed then say "remamber when everyone on pvp realms could attack any enemy"

Lol. If only people could complain that much. It's fairly obvious Blizz doesn't mind complete and total ganking.

Ganking a level 50 with a 90 is GOOD because it's PvP that's fair....

Pre-made Battleground groups are BAD, because they are against other people of the same level that are equipped with less gear and coordination....

I don't get the logic, but that's the Blizzard stance.

It has nothing to do with being fair or not, nor does it have anything to do with it being Blizzard's stance. PvP servers in MMOs have always had that sort of thing done, it's part of the idea of a pvp server. You WILL be ganked by max level players and you WILL run into opposing faction players in general that will try to kill you. It's not the Blizzards fault that people don't understand the choices they make in choosing a server.

It's intended to be there to give the player that sense of "realism" with the conflict going on in the story. As a byproduct, the ganking is established as part of it. Sort of like encountering someone of superior strength IRL with homicidal intent that also carries weapons on him/her, and all you have is dental floss.
Community Manager
This is going to sound weird, and while I do empathize with the frustration that's being expressed in this thread, this conversation still warms the cockles of my black little heart.

Why? Because for too long there was very little distinction between playing on a PvE realm and playing on a PvP realm. We had inadvertently created a situation where there was little risk when leveling in the world on a PvP realm. The experiences were, for all practical purposes, virtually identical, but that wasn't what we had in mind.

Life on a PvP realm can be nasty, brutish and short. Justice is in very short supply. Every action you take in the world carries with it an added level of risk, from questing, to hunting down profession materials, to simply traveling from place to place. You can be attacked at any time, sometimes by an overwhelming force. Of course, the shoe can also be on the other foot, and you'll be able to turn the tables on your attacker, or find clever ways to delay them or escape from them. Some will become roaming slayers, seeking out enemies to destroy.

In short, the experience on a PvP server is different. We want it to be different, and that includes everything from honorable conflict on the field of battle to horribly despicable ganking. It's all part of the fabric that makes a PvP server what it is.

Let the blood be spilled.
100 Blood Elf Hunter
12/06/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Daxxarri

I think I love you...
100 Draenei Mage
This is going to sound weird, and while I do empathize with the frustration that's being expressed in this thread, this conversation still warms the cockles of my black little heart.

Why? Because for too long there was very little distinction between playing on a PvE realm and playing on a PvP realm. We had inadvertently created a situation where there was little risk when leveling in the world on a PvP realm. The experiences were, for all practical purposes, virtually identical, but that wasn't what we had in mind.

Life on a PvP realm can be nasty, brutish and short. Justice is in very short supply. Every action you take in the world carries with it an added level of risk, from questing, to hunting down profession materials, to simply traveling from place to place. You can be attacked at any time, sometimes by an overwhelming force. Of course, the shoe can also be on the other foot, and you'll be able to turn the tables on your attacker, or find clever ways to delay them or escape from them. Some will become roaming slayers, seeking out enemies to destroy.

In short, the experience on a PvP server is different. We want it to be different, and that includes everything from honorable conflict on the field of battle to horribly despicable ganking. It's all part of the fabric that makes a PvP server what it is.

Very well said!

<3

12/06/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Daxxarri

I r <3 teh Daxx
90 Draenei Death Knight

I usually just tell em shoulda read the beginner guide that blizz gave you with the game.
100 Human Warrior
Quoted from the World of Warcraft Terms of Use Agreement: "You should always remember to protect yourself where members of a hostile race can attack you."

The problem is that you CAN'T protect yourself against a player who is substantially higher than you are. Since gear is such a deciding factor in this game, not even your average 90 is going to have much of a chance against a full Dreadful Gladiator geared 90. What chance would a lower level have? Basically this makes that level 90 a 'god' that can go around and kill whoever they feel like indiscriminately. This is seriously impacting the game because I can't even quest on my alts without getting killed repeatedly by a level 90. Any ideas anyone?

When I see you questing in Twilight Highlands, I will find you, and I will kill you
When I rolled on Illidan I got ganked a lot trying to lvl... When I finally managed to get to the same skills/gear set as those ganking me... I returned the favor over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. I didn't get mad.....I GOT EVEN!
90 Troll Druid
12/06/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Chucknõrris
Steps should be taken to discourage ganking, even on PvP servers. It's not PvP when there's no hope of fighting back, instead it's griefing, which Blizzard should be working to prevent.

WRONG horribly wrong.. wrong in so many ways.. that comment is filled with so much ignorance that it hurts just trying to read it. You CAN fight back. It's known as "Calling for help". You're getting beat on constantly? Call for help. Call your guild, Call someone in a major city, call your landlord, call the police.. w/e You're not the only one playing on the server you know.. and odds are there's quite a few people that would take joy in ripping apart said 90 who's making your life miserable.

You've got several options. Move along to another area, call for assistance, log on another toon to take care of the guy, dungeon grind in a major city, CRZ to a non pvp server, or just move off of your pvp server period.

DO NOT CRY ABOUT PVP IF YOU PLAY ON A PVP SERVER YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING WHEN YOU ROLLED THERE. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Why do they cry about pvp when they purposely put themselves in that position? It makes absolutely no sense.

This is one of those times I wish censorship wasn't such a big part of Blizzard's forums.

Who in the actual flop is going to come help you? What if you're in a small guild and nobody else is online? What if nobody in your guild gives two craps about the fact that you keep getting stepped on? What happens if everyone else in the zone you're in is the same level as you - and also doesn't care that you're getting killed because they've managed to somehow avoid it? If you're in Winterspring or The Blasted Lands - please - pray tell, HOW does one call a capital city?

You're under the impression that people give two sniffs about their faction's allies. For everyone 1 person that might go and help a lowbie in need 300 will just sit there and be like "oops. that sucks."

Blizzard could most likely come up with a GREAT way to solve this ganking issue without totally killing world PvP.

If you don't want to debuff people or TRULY punish them for being a jerk - my only other suggestion would be that on PvP realms in an open zone your gear/skills gets normalized to the appropriate level for the zone. If you have a lot of pvp gear you'll still get a benefit from it but you'll no longer be able to one-shot the unsuspecting quester.

I don't want to kill off the war between the factions. It's part of what keeps this game kind of alive and interesting...But I'll say it once again: Immature fun at someone else's expense. That's all griefing is. And honestly, it doesn't make you any better at the game, it doesn't showcase your skill - it just shows everyone how much of a jerk you really are because you enjoy making someone else's gameplay (who really cannot fight back on their own) a total drag.

If you get off on being a jerk in these kinds of ways - I suggest getting sterilized because the world doesn't need more people like you in it.
90 Tauren Druid

I love you. marry me?
86 Goblin Mage
There are plenty of anti-ganking tools you can use while leveling.

Blackened Worg Steak and Elixir of Camouflage do like 90% of the job.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=42997
http://www.wowhead.com/item=22823

If you wanna go one step further carry around Invisibility and Deepholm potions.

Is that why Elixir of Camouflage are selling so great?
90 Worgen Warlock
...I honestly thought people exaggerated about world pvp qq. Now from OP I know its real. You are COMPLETELY fair game for them to attack. I don't agree with ganking lowbies but as a 90 you're at least able to fly away.
12/06/2012 11:32 AMPosted by Purrpledrank
You're under the impression that people give two sniffs about their faction's allies.

I play on 5 pvp servers.. on every single one of them you will ALWAYS find at least 1 or 2 people who have nothing else better to do than kill someone who's ganking low lvls. All you have to do is put out the word. Stop being lazy.. or better yet.. stop crying for a second and run for help =) Granted those tears can make it hard to see where you're going but put a little effort in to it why don't ya?
Community Manager
12/06/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Kungfuscious
Hey blue what server do u play on? Ill come farm u for a while and lets see if u still think its great.

You don't need to. It's already been done. Repeatedly.

I'm leveling a Monk as I play my other characters, and Pandaren are very popular targets (almost as popular as Blood Elves and Gnomes). I knew exactly what I was getting into, and I take my lumps with the rest of them.
91 Tauren Warrior
First time posting here in years, but I had to after reading the blue post linked from another site.

There's a big difference in encouraging the PvP server "feel:, free reign, no justice etc, and strait up PROMOTING IT!

How is Bliz doing this? By not enforcing any level caps, letting people of any level attack any level. All it does is fuel the never ending cycle of "I got ganked when I was leveling, now I get to gank low lvls since I"m 90"

Instead of actually putting time and ACTUAL EFFORT into making open world PvP they instance it all, or surround it with Daily quests, there is no support what so ever of Open PvP. Blizzard gets to ride on the coat tails of !@# holes and proclaim how good their design is from a high horse, while not contributing any actual work

This overwhelming force? Is some guy who plays once a week but when he does he dedicates hours to preventing lowbies from questing, or somehone who genocides quest npcs, Bliz could actually take pride in their game without us feeling sorry for the PR guys who have to feed us this bull!@#$ if they forced us to take on people who actually have a chance.
Edited by Ironhed on 12/6/2012 11:39 AM PST
100 Human Warrior

U realize that if world pvp interferes too much with just doing what you need to do for everything else in the game 1 of 2 things will happen. Since players on PvP realms are no longer trapped there with server transfer rules then either all PvP realms will become ghost towns while leveling and gearing. Or 1 of the factions on every realm will end up leaving making it a 10:1 or worse ratio which means the server will essentially become PvE for one factions and a living nightmare for the other.

Both of these scenarios will then leave to whoever is left just leaving the game.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]