90's ganking.

90 Goblin Hunter
I'd be all about a bullk transfer on the cheap. as it is it would cost over $7000 USD to transfer the entire guild over. And I have zero intention of leaving my guild to find a new one on a PVE server.
86 Human Paladin
12/06/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Daxxarri
Why? Because for too long there was very little distinction between playing on a PvE realm and playing on a PvP realm. We had inadvertently created a situation where there was little risk when leveling in the world on a PvP realm. The experiences were, for all practical purposes, virtually identical, but that wasn't what we had in mind.

Whether that was what you had in mind or not, what compensation do you give to those players that now find themselves on PvP realms in this new reality that totally doesn't fit their desired gameplay? Are there free server transfers from PvP realms to PvE realms? Or is the answer: "Too bad you should have known what you were getting into when you rolled there? Go pay $25 per character to transfer to a PvE realm?" I think most of those that fall into that category would just as soon unsub and quit if that's your answer.
Edited by Saraxia on 12/6/2012 11:58 AM PST
100 Human Paladin
12/06/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Daxxarri
Hey blue what server do u play on? Ill come farm u for a while and lets see if u still think its great.

You don't need to. It's already been done. Repeatedly.

I'm leveling a Monk as I play my other characters, and Pandaren are very popular targets (almost as popular as Blood Elves and Gnomes). I knew exactly what I was getting into, and I take my lumps with the rest of them.

Didn't have time to read all of the posts so sorry if this has been brought up. One issue is that the Ganker has to be concerned about retribution. With CRZ, that is simply no longer the case. Ganking from cross-server toons has no opportunity for retaliation. They simply get their jollies and then fade back to their own realm.

So how does that fit into your noble idea of a PVP open world of battle?
100 Orc Warlock
12/06/2012 04:10 AMPosted by Lìonheart
Any ideas anyone?

Go play on a PvE server, as clearly a PvP server is not suited to your playstyle. If you only want to fight players when it's convenient to you, that's what PvE servers are for.

PvE servers aren't one where NO ONE does PvP ever; It's simply a realm where there's no PvP out in the world.
90 Human Hunter
This is going to sound weird, and while I do empathize with the frustration that's being expressed in this thread, this conversation still warms the cockles of my black little heart.

Why? Because for too long there was very little distinction between playing on a PvE realm and playing on a PvP realm. We had inadvertently created a situation where there was little risk when leveling in the world on a PvP realm. The experiences were, for all practical purposes, virtually identical, but that wasn't what we had in mind.

Life on a PvP realm can be nasty, brutish and short. Justice is in very short supply. Every action you take in the world carries with it an added level of risk, from questing, to hunting down profession materials, to simply traveling from place to place. You can be attacked at any time, sometimes by an overwhelming force. Of course, the shoe can also be on the other foot, and you'll be able to turn the tables on your attacker, or find clever ways to delay them or escape from them. Some will become roaming slayers, seeking out enemies to destroy.

In short, the experience on a PvP server is different. We want it to be different, and that includes everything from honorable conflict on the field of battle to horribly despicable ganking. It's all part of the fabric that makes a PvP server what it is.

Let the blood be spilled.

The only problem with that is that when you get tired of being on a PvP realm, there's a high barrier to going somewhere sane, esp. if your characters have interlinked professions. You can level up a new character, but that process is an interminable mess or you can pay multiples of $25 to get your characters elsewhere, but that just eats up your wallet.

One actually saves money by quitting the game instead of transferring.

Make the transfer fees less than the cost of a subscription and then the barrier goes away. In addition, to curb exploitation, make it a one-way transfer and/or a one-time transfer.
90 Worgen Death Knight
This is going to sound weird, and while I do empathize with the frustration that's being expressed in this thread, this conversation still warms the cockles of my black little heart.

Life on a PvP realm can be nasty, brutish and short. Justice is in very short supply. Every action you take in the world carries with it an added level of risk, from questing, to hunting down profession materials, to simply traveling from place to place. You can be attacked at any time, sometimes by an overwhelming force. Of course, the shoe can also be on the other foot, and you'll be able to turn the tables on your attacker, or find clever ways to delay them or escape from them. Some will become roaming slayers, seeking out enemies to destroy.

In short, the experience on a PvP server is different. We want it to be different, and that includes everything from honorable conflict on the field of battle to horribly despicable ganking. It's all part of the fabric that makes a PvP server what it is.

finally someone who gets it this is what pvp servers are all about

now i wanna go gank lmao time to bring the pain
Edited by Hollowchld on 12/6/2012 11:58 AM PST
53 Pandaren Priest

So let me get this straight. Wow condones the following behavior. . Because any company that condone the following behavior and has actually people who say its ok. Has to really look and wonder what it has become. Makes me stop and consider if I want to play any game by this company. As a lot of other mmos out there do not condone this behavior and in fact has rules against it.

1. Corpse camping for hours.
2. Camping and killing certain quest zones and givers.
3. Ganking repeatedly for hours by the same person. Who even some times follow you to anther zone?
4. No real solution to ganking due to czr and how it affects zone. This allowing people to gank with no real course of action. With not a few 90 but in some area 40 to 50 per area. To the point you can’t go to anther zone. The only possibility is to log off.

I will say thank you. I was hoping wow would address these 4 problems. I don’t mind ganking at all. It part of the course of a pvp realm. But I don’t mind these types of behaviors. As these 4 points are what I call bullying and harassment. Thus, you have open my eyes and I have some thinking to do and my future with blizzard in total.
Community Manager
12/06/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Saraxia
what compensation do you give to those players that now find themselves on PvP

Despite the fact that the experience became less brutal for a time by accident, the expectation of what one should find on a PvP realm has always remained the same.

12/06/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Mattrose
So how does that fit into your noble idea of a PVP open world of battle?

I didn't imply that it was always noble, nor did I say that revenge was always a likelihood or possibility. I do distinctly recall saying 'Justice is in short supply', though.
Edited by Daxxarri on 12/6/2012 11:59 AM PST
20 Draenei Hunter
Quoted from the World of Warcraft Terms of Use Agreement: "You should always remember to protect yourself where members of a hostile race can attack you."

The problem is that you CAN'T protect yourself against a player who is substantially higher than you are. Since gear is such a deciding factor in this game, not even your average 90 is going to have much of a chance against a full Dreadful Gladiator geared 90. What chance would a lower level have? Basically this makes that level 90 a 'god' that can go around and kill whoever they feel like indiscriminately. This is seriously impacting the game because I can't even quest on my alts without getting killed repeatedly by a level 90. Any ideas anyone?

Don't play on a PvP server and you'll be alright
90 Undead Mage
Oh boy I sure do love killing lowbies all day. It's fun playing with my food before I eat it. When you gank them mercilessly over and over it toughens them up and they're usually the better player for it. Instills some of the good old racial enmity.
50 Undead Warlock
I love all the open world pvp now. Someone ganks my lowbie, I'll hunt you down on my high level. I started playing in BC and the world pvp while leveling was part of what made the game great.

It's an integral part of the game experience and if your main concern is racing to max level don't roll on a pvp server!
90 Undead Warlock
Quoted from the World of Warcraft Terms of Use Agreement: "You should always remember to protect yourself where members of a hostile race can attack you."

The problem is that you CAN'T protect yourself against a player who is substantially higher than you are. Since gear is such a deciding factor in this game, not even your average 90 is going to have much of a chance against a full Dreadful Gladiator geared 90. What chance would a lower level have? Basically this makes that level 90 a 'god' that can go around and kill whoever they feel like indiscriminately. This is seriously impacting the game because I can't even quest on my alts without getting killed repeatedly by a level 90. Any ideas anyone?

PvP happens on PvP servers.
53 Pandaren Priest

That is why too any PVP server are dying. People are either quitting or moving to PVE realm. Good play kill your PVP realm off by slow death.

I've been reading the forums for years, the first sign that PvP servers were dying was when RFD and flying in Azeroth was introduced. PvP'rs were complaining that there were no longer anyone out in the world.

That went on for several years, people could queue up for dungeons and never set foot out in the world.

As time passed it became safe to quest out in the world on PvP realms, no one bothered anyone because there were so few people out there.

Now they added CRZ, mostly to give PvP realms what they were made for... PvP is happening out in the world.

Now we have the carebear PvE'rs who wanted to claim that they met the PvP challenge of lvl'ing on a PvP realm QQ'ing that it's not fair and not safe to quest...

It was never supposed to be easy or fair.

The only people who will leave due to PvP happening on a PvP realm are the ones who should never have rolled there to begin with.

Sorry I level on a pvp realm and still play on pvp realm. Here what was happening before czr was introduced. Players of equal level were fighting it out. I know shocking right, two players of equal level fighting and wining or losing.

There was a real world pvp for us. Then czr came and put 90 against lv 35 which is not world pvp in my book. It’s a one shot affair, with no real chance of fighting back. In the end it ruined my world pvp as no one out in the leveling world but a bunch of 90.a s the rest are hiding in city. Thus, because you did not have world pvp, does not mean the rest of us did not.

Want real pvp then do like bg. Put equal level people in the zone. Not a bunch of 90 looking to kill low level people. Then world would be back for me. CZR would be great if the put all 90 in one zone and the equal level in anther zone. Otherwise it’s just greifing/ harassment and wow condones it. Thus, world pvp should be equal levels not one shot affairs.
90 Worgen Druid
Honestly, it's what you sign up for when rolling on a PVP realm. No one is forcing you to play on one. If you don't like getting ganked then switch to a PVE server, it's that simple. PVP servers are great for all the reasons that the blue stated, which can ultimately be summed up in one word, 'vengeance'. It sucks to get ganked, but the enjoyment you get from rounding up your friends and hunting down the ganker for payback trumps the initial crappiness of being ganked. However, if that doesn't appeal to you then PVP servers are not the place for you.
100 Gnome Mage
12/06/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Samej
Oh boy I sure do love killing lowbies all day. It's fun playing with my food before I eat it.

This.

Nothing like finding a good cow...err tauren, wandering around in the wilderness - mmmmmm, BBQ.
Edited by Jibbajabba on 12/6/2012 12:10 PM PST
100 Draenei Mage

So let me get this straight. Wow condones the following behavior. . Because any company that condone the following behavior and has actually people who say its ok. Has to really look and wonder what it has become. Makes me stop and consider if I want to play any game by this company. As a lot of other mmos out there do not condone this behavior and in fact has rules against it.

1. Corpse camping for hours.
2. Camping and killing certain quest zones and givers.
3. Ganking repeatedly for hours by the same person. Who even some times follow you to anther zone?
4. No real solution to ganking due to czr and how it affects zone. This allowing people to gank with no real course of action. With not a few 90 but in some area 40 to 50 per area. To the point you can’t go to anther zone. The only possibility is to log off.

I will say thank you. I was hoping wow would address these 4 problems. I don’t mind ganking at all. It part of the course of a pvp realm. But I don’t mind these types of behaviors. As these 4 points are what I call bullying and harassment. Thus, you have open my eyes and I have some thinking to do and my future with blizzard in total.

I've tried PvP servers at least once on every game I've played...

On EQ I rolled on a PvP server just to see what it was like... I was killed instantly at lvl 1 and the guy had the audacity to steal the only piece of armor I owned... /delete character and went home to my PvE server where I belonged.

On Daoc it was fun for a while, we found out the small races could hide in the water and still see everyone. We would hide and send our pets out to attack whoever we wanted and never be seen. (it was a totally chicken poop way to play, but it was soooo much fun). They even made a PvP server where you could kill your own people and enemy... that was fun for a while.

I can't imagine how a game would create a challenging PvP realm where you never had to worry about being ganked one way or another. You have PvE realms where you can PvP only when it suits you.. why try to turn a PvP realm into a PvE realm when they already exist?

You can no longer use an excuse that it's too hard to start over. Leveling is fast and easy, making money is fast and easy... Or you can transfer one character with tons of gold, heirlooms and start over with a huge advantage.

You have choices other than demanding that Blizzard takes PvP away from people who actually enjoy it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]