How to beat a windwalker monk as ret

100 Human Paladin
Unless i have my bubble i cant beat him.. and even then its a maybe. i need my bubble to dispell his touch of karma or he can just beat me up and i have to take it..

monks are in my opinion a better version of pallys as it is. they just have less of our underpowered "utility" lol. PLEASE BLIZZARD if you read this dont think i want more "utility" :/ MOAR DMG lol.

but seriously how can i beat him? xuen (way better version than ancient kings) leg sweep, fist of fury, million incapacitates, stunz stunz stunz

if i dont have my bubble is this even possible?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Pretty sad that a leather wearer can easily dispatch a plate wearing holy healer wielding a giant 2hander. Very sad indeed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Living steel weapon chain helps against monks. They sure do seem to have end endless supply of stuns and incapacitates you're right about that. I don't usually beat monks one on one unless I have full cool downs.

My suggestion is: don't duel anyone unless bubble is off cooldown, you always need it. And yes they heal just as good as us.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Would the "snare w/Judgement and kite while healing backup " method work?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 05:48 AMPosted by Yarko
Would the "snare w/Judgement and kite while healing backup " method work?

Not against a good monk. Between Flying Kick and Roll and the monk's own snare Ret doesn't have the tools to maintain distance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not against a good monk. Between Flying Kick and Roll and the monk's own snare Ret doesn't have the tools to maintain distance.

I'll take your word for it. I haven't even entered a BG since... about a year ago. Since rejoining, I've primarily just been focusing on getting the daily grind out of the way, a few dungeons. basic stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
"Seal of Insight", this does magic for you in the worst times..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
-Take your talent that gives the physical snare to kite with
-use judgements, exorcisms
-Engage in melee only when WW is stunned or you have wings up
-you'll wear him down and he will barely be able to touch you

*do not dps during touch of karma.

It's somewhat of an uphill battle. haven't dueled ret but for a while roll wasn't removing your physical slow. if this has changed, then it is a lot tougher than what i make it sound like.
Edited by Williepanda on 12/5/2012 9:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you're dueling a monk I would recommend this talent set. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#lnf|
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
thanks guys! and to Aesix they dont hit too hard aside from their flame kick thingy but theres soo much cc you just dont get to fight them back lol.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
CC during touch of karma

gg you win.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
@aesix

You probably don't see touch of karma much AMS absorbs the damage. I would never ToK a dk unless I knew AMS was on cooldown. In BGs its much better to place it on a warrior, hunter, or healer where I know it will be put to use.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Also save your bubble/CC break for Fists of Fury, it's a conal attack that both stuns and does heavy damage if there's only one target in the cone.

Strafe and move constantly to try to get hits in their rear arc, their defense is in their dodge/parry chance more than self-heals or mitigation.

If they're still being dodgy, rely on Judgement/Exorcism to get Censure rolling, pool 5 Holy Power and maybe a proc if you're specced into DP, then stun them to eliminate their dodge/parry chance and go to town.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
O yeah forgot to say. Do not trinket 1st of fury if you think you will live through it because its next tick will stun you again. BoP it, but dont trinket. You may trinket leg sweep.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
lay the pressure on him and make him play defence, no expert but it seems like monks have a bit of ramp up time, i like to use the 30 second stun build so i can lay a stun on at the beginning and slow their ramp up then have a stun for the end to finish them (assuming it lasts that long)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/08/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Razumihin
lay the pressure on him and make him play defence, no expert but it seems like monks have a bit of ramp up time, i like to use the 30 second stun build so i can lay a stun on at the beginning and slow their ramp up then have a stun for the end to finish them (assuming it lasts that long)

Their ramp up was dependent on stacking their 30% armor pen buff from Tiger Paw. Since 5.1 hit they can now apply the full buff from one Paw instead of three. Their prep time is about three globals now - Sunrise Kick, Jab for Chi, Tiger Paw - and then they're ready to go, although they still need to build Chi to spend, giving you about 1-3 more globals before they're ready to start hitting you with their harder moves, although Sunrise already hits fairly hard.

They maintain their buffs as they attack so unless you disengage for a significant amount of time, the buffs won't fall off - I believe it's 8-10s for Sunrise Kick's damage buff and 20s for Tiger Paw's Armor Pen.

In other words, you have *some* time to work with but not much.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/08/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Camaeris

Their ramp up was dependent on stacking their 30% armor pen buff from Tiger Paw. Since 5.1 hit they can now apply the full buff from one Paw instead of three. Their prep time is about three globals now - Sunrise Kick, Jab for Chi, Tiger Paw - and then they're ready to go, although they still need to build Chi to spend, giving you about 1-3 more globals before they're ready to start hitting you with their harder moves, although Sunrise already hits fairly hard.

They maintain their buffs as they attack so unless you disengage for a significant amount of time, the buffs won't fall off - I believe it's 8-10s for Sunrise Kick's damage buff and 20s for Tiger Paw's Armor Pen.

In other words, you have *some* time to work with but not much.

ah thanks for the info i had noticed they went from being a faceroll win to kinda challenging, ill try the kiting method on the next one i meet :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]