Inscribed Tiger Staff, ....very misleading

(Locked)

90 Undead Priest
So I spent 2 1/2 levels grinding Motes of Harmony so I could make the above mentioned Inscribed Tiger Staff for my druid.

I finally amass the materials needed, at some expense of time and gold, lots of both, and create the staff this morning. When I attempted to right-click the weapon to equip it on my druid I received a "you dont meet the requirements for this quest" error. So naturally, I assume there is a quest associated with the staff before it could be used as a BoA weapon, because why would I think otherwise??

Long story short....I send it back to this toon, fly to the quest giver, who promptly destroys the Staff and gives me 10 Scrolls in return. Admittedly I was in a hurry, and didnt take the time to alt-tab to Wowhead and make sure this quest which seemed weird actually would destroy the item I worked so hard to create...but really Blizz? Why is this quest not been hotfixed with at least a "Are you sure you want to destroy this weapon" option??

I am quite upset, hopefully there is a way to resurrect the item?

Please help?
Did you forget to read the actual quest text? It's not misleading at all.
55 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Sarduuci

You will need to open a ticket for a Game Master to look into the issue for you. I have seen reports where GM's are restoring this item based on the confusion this quest presents.
90 Draenei Shaman
12/05/2012 10:58 AMPosted by Musashi

You will need to open a ticket for a Game Master to look into the issue for you. I have seen reports where GM's are restoring this item based on the confusion this quest presents.

Try this.. they may restore it, they may not.

But yea, next time, read all quest text all the time.. it suprisingly explains alot :)

This item is designed, so that its an entry level epic.. and once you get better, you can then essentialy get some of your mats back from it, after all the hard work making it.
90 Night Elf Druid
I haven't done it myself because I thankfully had read some posts about beforehand..it is not ideal that right clicking on the weapon prompts the quest rather than equip. Right clicking is the same action for equpping and quest items that are in bag, so I get the reason this was overlooked.

They definately need to add text when turning in the quest: ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO EXCHANGE YOUR WEAPON FOR 10 SCROLLS, AFTER YOU PERFORM THIS ACTION YOUR STAFF WILL BE DESTROYED. I can't even throw away most useless junk without typing "DELETE", so it's not too much to ask for this to be added.

No excuse then, less tickets..(because I have seen this complaint quite a bit, some just accepted the quest and thought it was a bonus).

Yes yes, people should read more, but if we read throroughly every quest text we'd still be leveing....
90 Draenei Shaman
I haven't done it myself because I thankfully had read some posts about beforehand..it is not ideal that right clicking on the weapon prompts the quest rather than equip. Right clicking is the same action for equpping and quest items that are in bag, so I get the reason this was overlooked.

They definately need to add text when turning in the quest: ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO EXCHANGE YOUR WEAPON FOR 10 SCROLLS, AFTER YOU PERFORM THIS ACTION YOUR STAFF WILL BE DESTROYED. I can't even throw away most useless junk without typing "DELETE", so it's not too much to ask for this to be added.

No excuse then, less tickets..(because I have seen this complaint quite a bit, some just accepted the quest and thought it was a bonus).

Yes yes, people should read more, but if we read throroughly every quest text we'd still be leveing....

I have a lvl 90 (just about maxed on all reps) 6 85s, and a bunch lower. And i read every single quest text :) (mind you i am a fast reader though).
90 Worgen Warrior
12/05/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Yourstruly

You really cannot use that as a valid defense because the text is at your disposal to be read carefully. Most quests in this game are pretty easy to get, but there will be times that you have to be careful on when doing such an action or an unwanted result may occur.
55 Pandaren Monk
12/05/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Yourstruly
so it's not too much to ask for this to be added.

It seems the Devs are quite aware of the issue with this quest. However, feedback on the support forums regarding game design is the wrong place to put it, as the Devs do not use the support forums for such feedback. There are already some threads on this topic in the Quests forum that deal with this topic and would be the ideal place to add feedback.
90 Night Elf Druid

I have a lvl 90 (just about maxed on all reps) 6 85s, and a bunch lower. And i read every single quest text :) (mind you i am a fast reader though).

Alright, I was being a bit dramatic there. For the most part people skim quests and read details only if they can't figure out what they are supposed to do. Since wow now puts a big number on your map and quest tracking on your screen you pretty much pick it up and know you are suppose to kill 5 tigers or pickup 6 acorns for a certain quest in the area designated on the map.

Also a lot of quests are "completed" when you accept and just direct you to the next location for turn in which this would be one that follows that look.

You really cannot use that as a valid defense because the text is at your disposal to be read carefully. Most quests in this game are pretty easy to get, but there will be times that you have to be careful on when doing such an action or an unwanted result may occur.

Most likely he'll get the item recovered. He'll have to wait, and like most of us that have had to has something recovered we accidently deleted....he'll most likely learn from and be more careful in the future. The real issue is how many of these restores are sitting in the ticket que. Now do you like to wait on things like these where something that could be programmed in to be avoided? It's heartache and patience the deletee has to endure, it's time spent/wasted blizz has to endure and it's wait time for everyone else who has tickets in.

It seems the Devs are quite aware of the issue with this quest. However, feedback on the support forums regarding game design is the wrong place to put it, as the Devs do not use the support forums for such feedback. There are already some threads on this topic in the Quests forum that deal with this topic and would be the ideal place to add feedback.

I'm sure someone has stated my exact thought in one of the many threads. The OP of this thread could also use my comment and direct it to proper threads since he has had this issue. Thanks though for pointing out the place where it would be seen.
90 Pandaren Mage

Won't help, as most people get annoyed by this question and click YES anyway.

People need to learn to read the quest. It DOES explain that the staff will be lost when the quest is turned in.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
What is "misleading" about this?
As powerful it is, at some point you know you will outgrow this staff. When that time comes, one of the Inkmasters in the Arboretum would most likely be interested in taking it from you.

If you can't be bothered to read TWO sentences why should Blizzard save your skin.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
If you feel the item itself, the quest or any associated mechanics with it should be changed I'd recommend posting in the Quest forum so the Developers can review your constructive feedback.
69 Orc Death Knight
Sad as it may seem, some players have requested additional confirmation pop-ups even after existing ones, such as with honor/justice point conversions, explicitly stating that they click through the first ones and Blizzard should add these redundant ones.

I don't know if that'd be the attitude here, but I expect whoever designed these at Blizzard is chagrined at being maligned for offering scribes a partial refund after these items are no longer useful.
90 Undead Priest
While I appreciate all the feedback this thread has garnered, I suppose after 8 years of playing this game and right-clicking on every weapon to equip it, my real angst should indeed be directed at the programming of said item.

Was I lax in the reading of why I was unable to equip the weapon on my non-scribe and quick to assume that it needed to be sent back to my Scribe to finish the quest? More than likely, but in a game which many have criticized for being too quick to simplify things for the masses, I feel this is poor design and indeed will redirect my frustration in the appropriate Quest forum.

I have opened a GM ticket, of course I'll be awaiting a response which hopefully will occur much sooner than the 3.5 days my server ticket indicated....
90 Night Elf Druid
While I appreciate all the feedback this thread has garnered, I suppose after 8 years of playing this game and right-clicking on every weapon to equip it, my real angst should indeed be directed at the programming of said item.

This is why i suggested the message box. Right clicking weapons has always equipped them. A quest pops up...which hey sometimes happens when you are just flying around doing nothing and you accept.

Also...how many quests can you think of take something from you and give you a lesser item. Not many.

Yes, yes we should read and be accountable for our actions, but hey crap happens.

BTW, maybe not all of you remember this..but we used to be able to throw anything we wanted away without having to type "DELETE". Now most items ask you type delete. I'm sure Blizz made that change for their own purposes (time restoring items) as much if not more than for players.
90 Tauren Druid
Same thing here.. Didn't realise the questgiver would take the staff and could not right-click equip it. This is the STUPIDIST idea ever to have a gear item that puts you on a quest to destroy it if you click on the thing! NEVER make a gear item do this again! If they need someone to trade it for scrolls later, just have it sellable to a vendor for 10 scrolls.. NOT make it a quest!!
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/09/2012 10:57 PMPosted by Jadevine
Same thing here.. Didn't realise the questgiver would take the staff and could not right-click equip it. This is the STUPIDIST idea ever to have a gear item that puts you on a quest to destroy it if you click on the thing! NEVER make a gear item do this again! If they need someone to trade it for scrolls later, just have it sellable to a vendor for 10 scrolls.. NOT make it a quest!!
Then, you should suggest this over in either the Quests, the Professions, or the General Discussion Forum where the devs who make the rules can read it.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]