Why don't mages have a good self heal?

1 Dwarf Paladin
I am sure people will flame me for asking since we are fotm epic damage ez mode in pvp right now, but I am genuinely curious.

All the other pure dps classes have self heals baseline, than us (correct me if I am wrong).

Rogues, locks and warriors all have some good self heals, but all we have is evocation with a glyph which needs to be channeled and can be interrupted.

We get shield to mitigate damage but they can be purged.

Is there something I am missing?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Homogenization/Don't need it
Reply Quote
I am sure people will flame me for asking since we are fotm epic damage ez mode in pvp right now, but I am genuinely curious.

All the other pure dps classes have self heals baseline, than us (correct me if I am wrong).

Rogues, locks and warriors all have some good self heals, but all we have is evocation with a glyph which needs to be channeled and can be interrupted.

We get shield to mitigate damage but they can be purged.

Is there something I am missing?

There is another option you have not mentioned.

Level 60 Talent - Cold Snap - Instantly restores 30% of your health.

We don't need a baseline self-heal talent. We have a very strong Immunity with IB, and Cold Snap gives us a 2nd one in 30 seconds on top of a 30% heal. Instead of CS, you can go with a free cheat-death ability in Cauterize, and IB off the debuff while your teammate heals you to full. There are Ice Barrier and Incanter's ward, shields on low cooldowns which are stackable, passive dmg reduction through our Armor of choice, a get-out-of-stun-and-melee-range-free button (Blink) on a 15 second cooldown, instant cast roots and all of our spells apply a strong snare. And like you mentioned, a glyphed Evocation (arguably the most essential PvP glyph of choice) for those times you are able to CC your opponent and get out of range.

So, thats why mages don't have a good self heal.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
A mage who does herbalism knows that there are some beneficial healing properties and also with talents that cauterize gives you that extra boost during PvP to obtain extra health after getting a near crit hit.
Reply Quote
97 Blood Elf Paladin
Why in the world would you be asking this, you can already CC for days, you can already crit people with 60res+ for 200k and more, you already have snare/stun/slow removal ON A 15 SECOND CD, you already have an immunity spell, and for the love of god you can refresh all your cd's with cold snap which is on a 3 min CD allowing you to pop your cd's and then you know what? POP em again. You can silence for 4 sec and you can Spell steal, so why....why on earth are you asking why you don't have a sufficient heal? Please tell me why you feel the need to ask such a ridiculous question, because honestly, I don't think you thought this one out very well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
We have pretty good self healing... Cold Snap is a 30% heal, both Ice Barrier and Temporal Shield are heals, and Evocation with glyph heals a !@#$load. Spellsteal glyphed is also a heal. We also have Healing Touch from symbiosis, and we can conjure food (sheep + eat food = heal). Also if you are low and a warrior or hunter reflects, you can sheep yourself for a heal. I feel like this is less of a "mages have no healing" issue and more of a L2P issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
While I'm sure your only concern is PVP, Ice Barrier and glyphed Evocation are ridiculously strong self healing and mitigation in raid encounters compared to what we were working with before, which was mostly the power of positive thinking.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 02:08 PMPosted by Scorchlight
lso if you are low and a warrior or hunter reflects, you can sheep yourself for a heal.

Why had I never thought about this before? This is genius.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/06/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Càbésoñ
Why in the world would you be asking this, you can already CC for days, you can already crit people with 60res+ for 200k and more, you already have snare/stun/slow removal ON A 15 SECOND CD, you already have an immunity spell, and for the love of god you can refresh all your cd's with cold snap which is on a 3 min CD allowing you to pop your cd's and then you know what? POP em again. You can silence for 4 sec and you can Spell steal, so why....why on earth are you asking why you don't have a sufficient heal? Please tell me why you feel the need to ask such a ridiculous question, because honestly, I don't think you thought this one out very well.

I think he did, he wants want to be able to do arena's 1v2. ez breezy.
Edited by Darkiablo on 12/6/2012 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

lol Ret Paladin... I'm sorry for your loss
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/06/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Ruxpin
lso if you are low and a warrior or hunter reflects, you can sheep yourself for a heal.

Why had I never thought about this before? This is genius.

This is pure GENIUS!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
This is because mages are supposed to be, to my understanding, the "glass cannons" of WoW.

To explain, we should be doing a !@#$-ton of damage, and in return shatter really easily.

This latest patch has nerfed our fire DPS, putting many of these "Glass Cannons" below the DPS of that of many healthier and self-healing classes.

This is why mages are so disgruntled currently.
Reply Quote
This latest patch has nerfed our fire DPS, putting many of these "Glass Cannons" below the DPS of that of many healthier and self-healing classes.

This is why mages are so disgruntled currently.

Exactly. Other classes have better armor and many have self heals. We're in cloth and our DPS is no longer high enough to counter-balance that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
smoovie is right. However, i would still like to have a better healing mechanic in place for mages. Just for convienence. Evocating and useing glyphs to regen is a pain. As for not wanting homogenization, blizz threw that ideal out the door years ago. Seems like every class has a blink style ability. Wheither it be a core ability or through talents.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Mages don't need a self heal they have enough cc as it is and they burst most classes down in a matter of seconds. Not to mention they have a bubble which has massive absorb and is almost constant cause of its low cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
you can refresh all your cd's with cold snap which is on a 3 min CD

I'm not arguing against you, just correcting. Cold Snap only refreshes the cooldowns on Ice Block, Cone of Cold, and Frost Nova.

If it refreshed all of our cooldowns, it would definitely need a 10 minute cooldown, or it would be ridiculously overpowered, and rather mandatory for both PvP and PvE.

That said, while I feel having an actual baseline heal of some kind would be nice, it's not really necessary right now. Just more of a quality of life thing.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage

Don't you have HoJ, Blinding Light, Repentance. I'm sure those are cc's.

Immunity? One full immunity and a physical immunity as well and the cd's can be reduced via talents to where you get 2 bubbles?

Silence, you have arcane torrent.

Instant flash heals through art of war, hard casting flash heals, lay on hands, hand of freedom to get you out of those tricky snares, judgements to increase you're movement speed. WoG healing with no CD?

Wings that can;t be stolen, and execute too. With a pet...

Before you go all the grass is greener on your side, look at your aresenal and learn to use what you have to counter another class.
Edited by Negishi on 12/7/2012 4:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
12/07/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Rore
Mages don't need a self heal they have enough cc as it is and they burst most classes down in a matter of seconds. Not to mention they have a bubble which has massive absorb and is almost constant cause of its low cooldown.

Out Ice barrier is on a 25 second cd and you can tranq shot it off. The absorb is not MASSIVE, it was in fact even nerfed by 25% last patch.

and cc's. as a hunter you have what? Scatter shot, silence shot, webs, binding arrow, feighn which causes us to lose target. traps from stealth, ice trap.

Don't argue CC when you have just as much, just meed to learn to utilize it better.
Edited by Negishi on 12/7/2012 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
mages are retarded, should get nerfed. its allready a god class which can global anything in a deep. if you add selfheals you should give it plate armor too. so it can tank
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/07/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Ðimensionx
mages are retarded, should get nerfed. its allready a god class which can global anything in a deep. if you add selfheals you should give it plate armor too. so it can tank

Calling 9.5% of the entire US WoW population retarded is a pretty broad statement. This is of course, not including Mages in other regions.

An amendment to your statement could be: "Mages who complain about their state in PvP are retarded, because they're in a very good position right now."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]