Frost vs Unholy PvP

90 Night Elf Death Knight
I've been wanting to get back into PvP this expansion. In Cata, I did mostly Unholy the few times I ran with guildies because of the pressure I could put on healers with constant Necrotics and having multiple ways to shut them (and other casters, of course) down alongside my shadow damage from Scourge Strike. With spell resistance removed and DK talents and abilities more homogenized, is unholy still a strong pressure spec in PvP or has Frost become the go-to spec with pure damage output?

tl;dr: Looking for a serious comparison between Frost and Unholy for PvP.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Yes. However, with PvP's focus on burst as it currently is, Frost is considered more valuable since getting off a string of hard-hitting Obliterates in a couple GCDs can end an arena match rather quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Reinhart's been making Unholy work in 3's but it's not a very common spec, check out his videos. It's not bad in BG's if you don't have the enemy team tunneling you the whole match.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
12/05/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Chaledric
Reinhart's been making Unholy work in 3's but it's not a very common spec, check out his videos. It's not bad in BG's if you don't have the enemy team tunneling you the whole match.

If the enemy team isn't tunneling the DK they deserve the loss they're going to get.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Season 12 PvP:

Unholy: 260k in Necros through burst in 5 seconds

Frost: 260k in Damage in 5 seconds.

Take your pick.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Unholy shines in 3s but not very well in 2s. I suggest you do Unholy mostly in BGs and 3/5s.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I really can't recommend Unholy for PvP. I've been Unholy since Lich King and it's total garbage now. Deaths' Advance is a talent that forces you to sacrifice other good talents to obtain. Your diseases no longer have dispel protection. Unholy CDs are forever. AMS must be glyphed to absorb 100%. Timmy is made of paper. Any cleave will demolish him and his CD is STILL 2 minutes(even though everyone else had their pet CDs reduced to 60 seconds). Desecration is straight up gone, so you'll get kited like you're crawling backwards. Unholy damage is lackluster and the burst potential simply isn't there. Frost Damage is only marginally better, but the burst potential with multiple crit oblits is higher.

In general, DKs get the shaft in PvP this expansion. We lost a lot of abilities, the wrong abilities became talents, not enough abilities went baseline, and our defensive CDs will be laughed at by every wizard cleave out there. I've seen ppl frostbomb nuked clean through IBF and AMS has to be reserved for offense if you want to have any shot at killing a target, ever.

All in all, go Frost, but if at all possible, roll another class.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
12/07/2012 02:38 AMPosted by Soshii

Now that is just depressing. Makes we wanna stop gearing. It's an alt anyways, so meh.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I really can't recommend Unholy for PvP. I've been Unholy since Lich King and it's total garbage now. Deaths' Advance is a talent that forces you to sacrifice other good talents to obtain. Your diseases no longer have dispel protection. Unholy CDs are forever. AMS must be glyphed to absorb 100%. Timmy is made of paper. Any cleave will demolish him and his CD is STILL 2 minutes(even though everyone else had their pet CDs reduced to 60 seconds). Desecration is straight up gone, so you'll get kited like you're crawling backwards. Unholy damage is lackluster and the burst potential simply isn't there. Frost Damage is only marginally better, but the burst potential with multiple crit oblits is higher.

In general, DKs get the shaft in PvP this expansion. We lost a lot of abilities, the wrong abilities became talents, not enough abilities went baseline, and our defensive CDs will be laughed at by every wizard cleave out there. I've seen ppl frostbomb nuked clean through IBF and AMS has to be reserved for offense if you want to have any shot at killing a target, ever.

I agree with this so much. I hate how dks basically choose between abilities we already had, while other classes got everything baseline and got to choose new and unique abilities
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/05/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Chaledric

Reinhart's videos are invaluably beneficial for anyone looking to learn or improve upon the Unholy spec. I recommend them as well.

I agree with this so much. I hate how dks basically choose between abilities we already had, while other classes got everything baseline and got to choose new and unique abilities

I almost entirely agree, however there was one other class that didn't get everything baseline and was forced to choose between important abilities they already had: rogues. They, however, were buffed in 5.1 (inadequate as they no doubt were), whereas we received nothing but a death strike NERF for our struggles...Things are looking pretty bleak.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]