Next WoW Expansion: Legion's End

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
Alright, I know it's a little early to start talking about the next expansion, but I will share my ideas of what I think it should be like.

First of all this will be the final expansion to the WoW and will feature none other than Sargeras himself as the end of expansion raid boss.

I see the alliance and horde becoming one single faction, which means in this last expansion all the races of Azeroth will be united. Humans will walk freely in Orgrimmar just as Orcs will walk freely in Stormwind.

The Burning Legion is pulling out all the stops and this time Sargeras himself has come to oversee the destruction of Azeroth.

Portals will open in Outland leading to a new "homeworld" of the legion. Alleria and Turalyon will return to help lead the charge against the Legion.
90 Undead Warlock
If factions join, it likely won't be actually in the game mechanics. World PvP and battle grounds are old grudges that players may hold. Also, because Blizzard said they won't be redoing Azeroth, so factions have to remain for the other content, it would be end level things only that make it feel like one faction.
12/06/2012 03:45 AMPosted by Ximothy
If factions join, it likely won't be actually in the game mechanics. World PvP and battle grounds are old grudges that players may hold. Also, because Blizzard said they won't be redoing Azeroth, so factions have to remain for the other content, it would be end level things only that make it feel like one faction.

This is probably correct.

That isn't to say we couldn't do a lot to break down the barriers between the factions of course. Open up cross-faction queuing/grouping for new content, have a major "neutral" faction that is actually a coalition between loyal Horde and Alliance forces, and of course open up cross-faction communication in the new zones.

Having the change affect older content on any significant scale would be difficult to say the least.

Anyways, the basic idea of a Burning Legion expansion coming next is very sound. To the point that I would be very surprised if it's not the case. There are a lot of subtle indications, both in game and out. In game we have people like Wrathion and Velen outright saying the Legion is coming. Out of game we have things like Blizzard being a lot more explicit when they say they have plans for Alleria and Turalyon, two characters that will likely appear in a Legion-themed expansion due to their current status.
Edited by Falrinn on 12/6/2012 12:02 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
World PVP would die yes, but alot of the time world PVP is just ganking anyways. To make up for players wanting World PVP, I would make it so that World Bosses from the Burning Legion would attack major cities.

I still stand by my idea of combining factions for this final expansion of WoW.

12/06/2012 03:45 AMPosted by Ximothy

To this I say:

The final expansion should make us feel like the war is over and that it`s time for everyone to bury the grudges they might have. I mean what better way to breathe new life into this game? The Horde and the Alliance have been going at it for 4, yeah count 'em 4 expansions. Wouldn't it be new and cool to be able to have 1 expansion where they aren't?
76 Troll Shaman
If Sargareas is the final boss, i believe it would be only in Titan project. Come on. The guy was a Titan and we know how powerful they are. We are having issues with defeating just the whispers and personification of Old gods. I dont see us defeating a Titan and the Legion anytime soon. We got our own house to clean up first.
90 Goblin Mage
First of all this will be the final expansion to the WoW and will feature none other than Sargeras himself as the end of expansion raid boss.
It's not going to be the final expansion, in fat Blizzard said they plan on having up to 3-4 more expansions after Pandaria. There's no doubt that the Burning Legion will be in this one, but i'm not sure if it will be the very next expansion.

Rumors have been floating around that the next expansion will involve teh blood elves and Dranie but idk if thats true
90 Human Death Knight
12/06/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Ttm
If Sargareas is the final boss, i believe it would be only in Titan project. Come on. The guy was a Titan and we know how powerful they are. We are having issues with defeating just the whispers and personification of Old gods. I dont see us defeating a Titan and the Legion anytime soon. We got our own house to clean up first.

Thats silly. Our "house" will be shat on if Sargeras came here. So we'd have no choice in the matter.
12/06/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Ttm

If you are referring to Project Titan, Blizzard has stated time and time again that it isn't part of any established franchise. While I wouldn't put it past Blizzard to lie about something like that, it's more likely they'd say something like "We aren't ready to discuss the story of the game just yet" every time the question is asked as opposed to an explicit denial. At any rate, it's unlikely Blizzard will start seriously considering a sequel to WoW until the game as a lot fewer players then it does now.

As for the power of Sargeras, I honestly wouldn't make a big deal of it. If Blizzard decides that he's too powerful for the players to defeat him conventionally, they'll just have us defeat him unconventionally...like every single final boss too date. Kil'jaeden was half-summoned, so all we had to do was force him back through the portal. The Lich King was toying with us and we only beat him because the Ashbringer shattered Frostmourne, and beating Deathwing demanded that we travel into the past and retrieve the Dragon Soul and then modify it so it could harm him.

The real question with Sargeras is whether or not Blizzard is confident they can continue the story after we beat him. He is sort of responsible for most of the evil in the universe, so it'll be tough to top him. The only thing that might be able to is the Old Gods and maybe the other Titans.
Edited by Falrinn on 12/6/2012 2:56 PM PST
I kind of do hope it would be the final expansion, this way they could focus on Titan and make a Warcraft 4 involving the two left over Old Gods and Azhara. When a game is an RTS they have more free range of Lore.
90 Human Warrior
12/06/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Searik
I kind of do hope it would be the final expansion, this way they could focus on Titan and make a Warcraft 4 involving the two left over Old Gods and Azhara. When a game is an RTS they have more free range of Lore.

They're not going to make another Warcraft RTS.
76 Troll Shaman
12/06/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Falrinn
If you are referring to Project Titan

What i was trying to say was we would need some kind of help from Titans(or mb Naaru) to finish off the Legion and Sargareas. As for Old gods, we dont know ho powerful they are or their total history. I dont see this ending in next expac. Warcraft still has a long life. But i do agree that the Old gods and Legion would be the last expacs.
12/06/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Ttm
What i was trying to say was we would need some kind of help from Titans(or mb Naaru) to finish off the Legion and Sargareas. As for Old gods, we dont know ho powerful they are or their total history. I dont see this ending in next expac. Warcraft still has a long life. But i do agree that the Old gods and Legion would be the last expacs.

I would be astounded if we had a Legion-themed expansion where neither the Naaru nor the Titans play a role. And like I said, we've used unconventional means to beat every single expansion final boss to date, so it's not like we couldn't do the same with Sargeras.

Come to think of it, it'll be interesting to see what would happen if the Naaru and Titans interacted. If the Titans do believe in absolute order, then they might not actually get along with the Naaru very well, who may have a different world-view. Perhaps the Naaru represent freedom, and they fight the Burning Legion because they see them as a threat to the freedom of the worlds they destroy/corrupt. But it may also put them in conflict with the Titans, who's ideals of an ordered universe has little room for freedom.
76 Troll Shaman
I would be astounded if we had a Legion-themed expansion where neither the Naaru nor the Titans play a role. And like I said, we've used unconventional means to beat every single expansion final boss to date, so it's not like we couldn't do the same with Sargeras.

Except Arthas with whom Ashbringer and the Light had a major role, we didnt defeat any major Legion villains. Kiljadeen was pushed back, thats all. That was not even his full power. Archimonde destroyed the entire city with a single spell. We would definitely need some un conventional help and we would have to work for it. I dont see this all happening in a single expac.

And also, do and of u think the scourge will have a role to play in all this? We do know the Lich King did not unleash the full power of the scourge. So i can see the Legion trying to take control of the scourge or something like that. Opinions on this?
90 Orc Death Knight
12/06/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Ttm

Except Arthas with whom Ashbringer and the Light had a major role, we didnt defeat any major Legion villains. Kiljadeen was pushed back, thats all. That was not even his full power. Archimonde destroyed the entire city with a single spell. We would definitely need some un conventional help and we would have to work for it. I dont see this all happening in a single expac.

And also, do and of u think the scourge will have a role to play in all this? We do know the Lich King did not unleash the full power of the scourge. So i can see the Legion trying to take control of the scourge or something like that. Opinions on this?

Look man, its not that the Lich King was holding back the scourge, because i mean really? Arthas wanting to take over the world and remake it in undeath and NOT letting them run rampant for what reason lets say... what was it, that small part of Arthas left in him? No, it wasnt that, that is the biggest shoot yourself in the foot scenario.

Arthas didnt not unleash the scourge to its full potential, he kept the millions of undead all around azeroth in check, because he needed them as a mobilized army, you cant defeat strategy with lack of strategy, you still need a chain of command and multiple masses of generals and officers to control the soldiers and perform the menial tasks that you as the biggest baddest higher up cant do because your not everywhere at once.

Remember that quest in Drakari? where you become a ghoul to go undercover in the scourge and extract information for the take down of that troll drakuru. You as a lowly ghoul still needed to give orders to other soldier scourge and FEED them guts you were given from an abom.

What blizzard always meant is that the scourge would possibly indeed wipe out all of life if possibly let off the chain, but then that would also mean that they could fail doing it too due to lack of command and screwing up arthas's big picture for his 'kingdom'.

Imagine it, you as a single faction are facing off against Azeroth's two MAIN most powerful standing factions SOLO, the last thing you'd want is for your forces to be mindless and scattered, possibly turning on each other or dispersing and not being able to fight back effectively which is, what they did do to us, while we WERE fighting them.
90 Undead Warlock
12/06/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Ballador
The final expansion should make us feel like the war is over and that it`s time for everyone to bury the grudges they might have. I mean what better way to breathe new life into this game? The Horde and the Alliance have been going at it for 4, yeah count 'em 4 expansions. Wouldn't it be new and cool to be able to have 1 expansion where they aren't?

For all intent and purpose, the war would be over, and all content above level 90 could make it seem like there is no factions, but everything lower has to remain the same.

In the new zones, players can talk to the other faction, group, and raid with the other faction, but people like PvP, and to abolish PvP for the sake of lore would make a lot of people angry, no matter how much they make sense. Grudge fights make sense, many people, like Rogers, could not work with the orcs without being able to express her grudge.

There would be no faction-only factions, and World PvP would be restricted to only certin areas. but once you leave said content, all neutral things are gone, the language barrier is back, you can't group or raid with the other faction.

Edit: And what of PvP servers? Are you going to ruin their fun? They picked those servers for a reason.
Edited by Ximothy on 12/8/2012 3:45 AM PST

I define "unconventional" as pretty much any tactic that the player does not normally possess. Since the Ashbringer is an utterly unique weapon that might just be the most powerful object forged by mortal hands in all of Azeroth, it definitely qualifies as being unconventional. And while we didn't kill Kil'jaeden, we certainly defeated him, again with unconventional tactics (ie collapsing the Sunwell portal with him only partway through).

As for whether or not we'll be able to defeat Sargeras next expansion pack, that boils down to a matter of opinion, specifically Blizzard's opinion. They might decide that it will be soon time for WoW to completely step outside the bounds of story arcs started in previous games, and MoP does show a strong preference for this, and kill off Sargeras in the next expansion. Or they might decide that it's still to early to contend with a such a powerful enemy, and there is precedent for this, part of the reason Northrend ended up as expansion 2 was because Blizzard felt expansion 1 was too early to face off against the Lich King.

I don't think the Scourge as we understand them will play a role. However I would not be surprised at all if the Legion decides to make another foray into necromancy to bolster their own forces somewhat. We actually saw a short-lived attempt at this in Cataclysm with the Risen, so it's not like the Legion has abandoned the tactic completely, they just know better then to forcefully recruit someone who hates them to control the undead...

Come to think of it, why did Kil'jaeden ever think that was a good idea?
I would love to see the Emerald Dream being the next expansion I kept anticipating it since vanilla seeing all the portals at the great trees.
25 Blood Elf Paladin
As long as the Forsaken are part of the Horde, any peace between the two factions to the extent that the OP portrays would look so contrived that they may as well just retcon everything past Reign of Chaos and start over.
90 Goblin Mage
I don't really see the factions joining up and becoming one big faction. Too much bad blood and that would piss the PvP players off a bit much. We'll probably just go back to cold war style animosity and the occasional skirmish battle like we had in Vanilla. We can still have some faction co-op like we had in 1.9 and the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj though. That would be cool.

As for Warcraft 4... Eh, maybe. Pros would be that they could write lore without having restrictions of MMO getting in the way. Con being I kind of like to free roam my own character across an online digital world instead of controlling armies across a single player strategy map (ie I like MMOs more than RTSs). Whatever they decide to do they do, but yes they do need to tie WoW off and get on to Titan.
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/08/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Vyrin
As long as the Forsaken are part of the Horde, any peace between the two factions to the extent that the OP portrays would look so contrived that they may as well just retcon everything past Reign of Chaos and start over.
Wow Vyrin you have such a great track record. I mean being able to divert even the most contrived threads towards the Forsaken? Someone really needs to award you with a Forsaken hater award. Seriously I don't think anyone else does it the same way as you do. I mean taking a nice simple thread about the Burning Legion and twisting it into a "Forsaken are evil" thread? Priceless.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]