The RP Stimulus Package

90 Pandaren Hunter
*points to the tray of food painstakingly prepared for her*

*sneaks several cupcakes*
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Here we go sulli here we go!

Seriously this will help a lot. I also have detected hostility ( IC or OOC can't really tell) between the guilds in the server. If we can learn to get along and work together I am sure we can be awesome. Let's hold hands and skip through elwynn while picking poseys.

Edit: forgot to say hostility between players can exist but don't bring it in RP plz.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't post on the forums much these days, but I do lurk every once in a while. But this really is a wonderful post and very insightful.

Since transferring here I have had a wonderful time both horde and alliance. I have met some wonderful people attending the events that have been hosted, read some wonderful stories, and I am still getting to know some of the awesome people that reside here. Even when I meander around I have stumbled across some wonderful random RP. It is one of the more active servers I have seen personally with weekly/monthly events going on to promote the RPing community. I hope to get more active again since taking my unexpected break and I really look forward to it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/07/2012 06:21 AMPosted by Lilyia
I don't post on the forums much these days, but I do lurk every once in a while. But this really is a wonderful post and very insightful.

And thank you for your insight. It's refreshing to get a perspective from new players on the server.

I at times wonder whether our use of the ERN vs. these forums has allowed a skewed perception of roleplay health on this server. When I first rolled here years ago, roleplay posts, event threads, and RP guild recruitment threads were more common in this neck in the woods. The ERN quickly made these forums obsolete and there's been little need to use them.

But new roleplayers look here first, the ERN second or third. These forums are their first impression. Perhaps injecting a bit of positive life over here to help new folks is in order.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

And thank you for your insight. It's refreshing to get a perspective from new players on the server.

I at times wonder whether our use of the ERN vs. these forums has allowed a skewed perception of roleplay health on this server. When I first rolled here years ago, roleplay posts, event threads, and RP guild recruitment threads were more common in this neck in the woods. The ERN quickly made these forums obsolete and there's been little need to use them.

But new roleplayers look here first, the ERN second or third. These forums are their first impression. Perhaps injecting a bit of positive life over here to help new folks is in order.

Thoughts?

Well to be honest as a new player looking into this server and this particular forum I do see that they are highly inactive, have been taken over by drama that doesn't need to be aired or people trolling others. Heck my introduction post was slightly trolled when I started here, which is why I have taken more of a lurker stance since transferring unless I see something such as this thread. But I also really only see 3-5 guilds use this forum actively with mostly the same people making threads. There are the few that are new posts but they quickly get buried, don't get responded to, or get trolled. Which can be off putting for any newcomer that ventures to this particular forum.

Maybe some life can be injected into these forums, and all I can suggest is continuing to post positive RP threads and share what is going on in game and continue to report those who are trolling and ignore the nay sayers if this forum wants to turn into being another positive outlet like the Earthen Ring Network.

Every realm is going to have people who complain about the state of RP, and really, RP is what you make it. It's reaching out to people in a positive manner that can make or break what happens in-game for you personally. Which is stated in the original post.

I have used Blizzard forums since I started playing and I understand that really only 10% of the player base use these forums for communication and can sometimes skew what actually occurs on realms. When I see forums such as these I look at the stickies and roll an alt in-game (I do highly suggest to anyone trying to find a new realm) and speak with people in trade. With in the first few days of rolling here I found out about the RP site you all host (which is amazing and should be promoted in any way possible), what the RP channels are and where to find the hot spots and events.

I haven't been disappointed yet with my in-game experience on this server. Maybe at times I have been put off by certain people and their actions and I will distance myself from those people and drama. But I don't let that effect my game play. No server is perfect, every server has trolls and drama-llamas. I make my experience what it is and I try to go out and try to make it a positive one. And my apologies for the long post :o
Edited by Lilyia on 12/7/2012 8:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well to be honest as a new player looking into this server and this particular forum I do see that they are highly inactive, have been taken over by drama that doesn't need to be aired or people trolling others. Heck my introduction post was slightly trolled when I started here, which is why I have taken more of a lurker stance since transferring unless I see something such as this thread. But I also really only see 3-5 guilds use this forum actively with mostly the same people making threads. There are the few that are new posts but they quickly get buried, don't get responded to, or get trolled. Which can be off putting for any newcomer that ventures to this particular forum.

Maybe some life can be injected into these forums, and all I can suggest is continuing to post positive RP threads and share what is going on in game and continue to report those who are trolling and ignore the nay sayers if this forum wants to turn into being another positive outlet like the Earthen Ring Network.

Every realm is going to have people who complain about the state of RP, and really, RP is what you make it. It's reaching out to people in a positive manner that can make or break what happens in-game for you personally. Which is stated in the original post.

I have used Blizzard forums since I started playing and I understand that really only 10% of the player base use these forums for communication and can sometimes skew what actually occurs on realms. When I see forums such as these I look at the stickies and roll an alt in-game (I do highly suggest to anyone trying to find a new realm) and speak with people in trade. With in the first few days of rolling here I found out about the RP site you all host (which is amazing and should be promoted in any way possible), what the RP channels are and where to find the hot spots and events.

I haven't been disappointed yet with my in-game experience on this server. Maybe at times I have been put off by certain people and their actions and I will distance myself from those people and drama. But I don't let that effect my game play. No server is perfect, every server has trolls and drama-llamas. I make my experience what it is and I try to go out and try to make it a positive one. And my apologies for the long post :o

No worries at all on the long post, this is one heck of a discussion. Pardon my long-winded narrative in reply...

When these forums were remade two or so years ago (I can't recall the exact reason, perhaps another revamping of Battle.net), the ERN was in its fledgling stages and these forums were still used to communicate. It was a transition period, so to speak. So we flocked to the new ER forums and made several roleplay-related threads. You can still see some of them with the RP Guild Listing, Character Sheet, and Regular RP Event threads stickied at the top. Some are more up-to-date than others.

But we also made Welcome to Earthen Ring posts that listed outside resources such as Sullivan/Shaw's RP Made Simple, the realm RP podcast, our roleplay wikipedia, and the RP Network. We requested stickies for these threads for a long period of time, then realized that Blizzard may not wish to sticky threads that link to third-party websites. We took time to keep welcome threads bumped to the front page, but overall ER forum interest dwindled overtime. Honestly, there was little need to use these forums since the ERN was friendlier, more roleplay-focused, and troll-free. When prospective roleplayers posted introductory threads on here, we'd often reply and route them to the ERN. But now I wonder how many prospectives bypass ER altogether because our realm forums contain dated RP threads and trolls.

So perhaps more roleplay threads here will let folks know we are here and vibrant. I don't suggest using the ER forums and ERN for the same purpose, but maybe ER forums can be the open door. As for the ERN, a 1600+ member roleplay network is no joke, but it's almost like Horton Hears a Who. I think we need let them know we are here and where to go a little more proactively before they toss us in the boiling pot.

Apologies for the utterly silly metaphor, but it seemed to fit snugly. :P
Edited by Arialynn on 12/7/2012 9:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Requesting a sticky of this ^^

Also, in regards to having more roleplay stuff on the forum, I don't think I'm personally comfortable posting my stories here as it is a den that breeds rampant trolling.

HOWEVER, I don't see the harm in posting in character threads about events like the Harbor Market, Kosh'arg, Port Wander, etc.
Edited by Noctré on 12/7/2012 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Requesting a sticky of this ^^

Also, in regards to having more roleplay stuff on the forum, I don't think I'm personally comfortable posting my stories here as it is a den that breeds rampant trolling.

HOWEVER, I don't see the harm in posting in character threads about events like the Harbor Market, Kosh'arg, Port Wander, etc.

Agreed. I used to maintain a Harbor Market thread on the forums when the market started two years ago, then shifted to the ERN. So I'll be jumping on here a bit more often to keep the thread updated.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Bumping this to the top!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
/panda bump
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
/bumpity to keep up good discussion.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just thought I would throw this in here cause I was looking for some more reading while stuck in bed.

The World's End Tavern: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011637/

There is some wonderful links in there and as well a good place to meet more RPers other than through cross-realms. And perhaps to initiate some kind of connection with others outside of the network or these forums. Perhaps some fellow ER people can help with people looking for another realm other than the common choices of WrA or MG since that seems to be a common question. I personally would be more willing to post in those forums about RP discussions than here since I believe they are policed more heavily. And plus there is a lot of good information that can be garnered.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just thought I would throw this in here cause I was looking for some more reading while stuck in bed.

The World's End Tavern: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011637/

There is some wonderful links in there and as well a good place to meet more RPers other than through cross-realms. And perhaps to initiate some kind of connection with others outside of the network or these forums. Perhaps some fellow ER people can help with people looking for another realm other than the common choices of WrA or MG since that seems to be a common question. I personally would be more willing to post in those forums about RP discussions than here since I believe they are policed more heavily. And plus there is a lot of good information that can be garnered.

Awesome tips, Lilyia. I agree that hearing only MG and WrA pop up is a little disconcerting, since there are other active realms. But I've heard ER floated around a bit, even from outsiders.

Given the holidays swooping in, it may be nice to sit up with a cup of tea and read the forums for a little while.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
/bump
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
*sets out cookies*
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
So folks, the end-of-year holidays are beginning to wind down. It's tradition around this time of year for folks to go on vacation or visit friends and family. This always results in a few less friends online to PvE, PvP, or RP with.

As time continues to churn and 2012 ends, more folks will be online to craft stories with. I look forward to it, and see all you folks ingame.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight
As a new alliance member on ER, hoping to get into RP, the first thing I did was go to the sticky for RP guilds. Besides the one posted this year, which explicitly claims they are not an RP guild, it is a sorely outdated thread. Either that or there hasn't been an rp guild since 2011 (gods I hope not).

Those concerned with keeping RP alive on this server might do well to keep the entry point for most folks looking to RP up to date.

Just a thought.
Edited by Petricore on 4/15/2013 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I am Captain Geary and I will sponsor Alliance side Role Play events with monetary backing. Want to host a gnome race? Fine by me, let's get a crowd out there and place bets! To even a murder mystery party in the Cathedral! Just poke me out!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
/bump
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
/bump

This post has never been as relevant as it is now. Seize the opportunity and make roleplay everywhere. Roleplay doesn't start without people - roleplay is impossible without people. Grab a friend, plant your butts in place, and go for it. Start the spark that catches and most of all, have fun.

As always, thanks for writing this, Sulli.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]