Question about the Item API

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to search items using the Item's name? like when you lookup for an item in wowhead or any other site of the same kind. I have been researching about this topic for a while and I haven't found nothing useful at the moment, I hope you can help me.

Regards
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
no there is not with the api
Reply Quote
I thought so, Anyone knows if is there any third party API for this purpose? or knows anything else I could use?

Thanks for the reply.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
Wowhead offers a item XML feed by itemID or item name:
http://www.wowhead.com/tooltips#related-xml-feeds
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
You can do the same by-item-id search using the wow api, a lot of times the item we're looking for we just don't know the ID of, which is why we do the search. Wowhead's database is great, but when you lookup an item by name, you typically get the heroic version of the item. There are posts upon posts on wowheads forums requesting an extension to the xml feeds that will return multiple items if they exist, but the folks at wowhead have made their stanse clear: They've got better things to do. Unfortunately this is a frustrating situations for developers such as myself and others who contribute to these forums, and not very good practice - imo - for a site that's spotlighted by Blizzard.

I myself am limping along with my own search that does a lot of scraping of different DB sites, it's a slow and imo unnecessary step, but what else are you going to do?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's not hard to download all the item info from the API and create a local cache. You could choose to then create a composite JSON file, or instead place it into a DB that you can easily query from.

If setup properly, depending on latency, it should take no more than a couple minutes to create a local cache of all the item info from the API.

Here's a quick-and-dirty example to get you started. Though, there's plenty of other ways to set something like this up. You won't be tied to any other services but the Blizzard item API this way, and it really isn't that hard to do.

http://www.strategytraderhelp.com/wow/item/

With more work, it's also possible to quickly create a cache of icons from http://us.media.blizzard.com for use with custom item tool-tips and displays as well so that you're not tied to invasive third-party javascripts using DOM attributes for unintended purposes etc. al.
Edited by Laurabelle on 12/6/2012 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Choonster: Thanks for the info, but as Vester said:

12/06/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Vester
Wowhead's database is great, but when you lookup an item by name, you typically get the heroic version of the item

@Vester: Its frustrating how wowhead ask for people help to collect their item data and they can't help to the people with a simple API.

@Laurabelle: I thought about that way, but it may take a while, because you can only make 10k requests per day. But might be a better approach create my own database.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/06/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Dæmnin
@Laurabelle: I thought about that way, but it may take a while, because you can only make 10k requests per day. But might be a better approach create my own database.

This is invalid. You can easily make all the item api requests without approaching the throttle cap. This is because each actual item GET request only constitutes a fraction of a credit toward the 3k credits limit.

Further, I argue that this cache need only be constructed seldom. For example, after a patch.

I have personally made 100k item API requests multiple times in a row in a single day without any issues on an unregistered app.
Edited by Laurabelle on 12/7/2012 6:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
For your searching purposes would a list of all the item ids, names, quality, and item level be enough?
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Chaud
For your searching purposes would a list of all the item ids, names, quality, and item level be enough?

Pretty much, would be great something like that.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2012/december/items.zip

A few percent of the items will be missing, legendary items and such, but if you want to scan all the IDs or get more information, we have a very basic API on WoWDB now. You can PM me on MMOC if that would be helpful to you.
Reply Quote
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2012/december/items.zip

A few percent of the items will be missing, legendary items and such, but if you want to scan all the IDs or get more information, we have a very basic API on WoWDB now. You can PM me on MMOC if that would be helpful to you.

Thank you very much! this was exactly what I needed!
Edited by Dæmnin on 12/7/2012 10:59 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]