When should I go Arcane?

90 Goblin Mage
OTL
So I went ahead and reforged/gemmed all to benefit arcane. But after doing a few LFR's yesterday along with some random heroics and scenarios it seems to me that I am not pushing the numbers that I was with fire. (single target)

I went Arcane a week back keeping all my fire gems and fire reforging and it seems like I was doing higher numbers. So not sure where I went wrong?

Should I wait to go full arcane when I have at least the 2 piece tier bonus?

We raid tonight and I want to make sure I can push out my max potential in the raid.
Reply Quote
are you sure you are playing arcane right?if you are, then just stay with fire.

your dps is gonna go down as fire but it shoudnt be that bad.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
OTL
Keeping up tempest 100% of the time, keeping up my rune as well, using blast and using missles when i have 4 - 8 stacks, using barrage as a dump.
Reply Quote
Uhm. . . first Tempest is wrong 9/10 times. I realize that as Arcane it feels like we should be using Arcane spells, but chances are you want either LB (3 or less targets) or Frost Bomb (4+ Targets) not Tempest.

The ONLY time Tempest becomes best is for 3+ targets that are spread out a ton.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Uhm. . . first Tempest is wrong 9/10 times. I realize that as Arcane it feels like we should be using Arcane spells, but chances are you want either LB (3 or less targets) or Frost Bomb (4+ Targets) not Tempest.

The ONLY time Tempest becomes best is for 3+ targets that are spread out a ton.

Are you serious Tempest is great dps. Blatty from Method uses it too in his Arcane build
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Using Tempest is fine in general....even in fights with more than 4 targets it seems ok.

Just spamming Tempest on all the mobs and firing all the free Arcane Missles seems to do a lot of damage. Unless its something like Tsulong where the mobs dont have a lot of health, then frost bomb will probably be much better.

This is just from my experience using arcane recently, Im a fire mage and I'm just trying to see what works for me.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
OTL
well I am mainly talking about single target as we are only 6/6 and 1/6 so not having to worry about multiple targets too much.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/06/2012 05:34 AMPosted by Blackxtyrown
Keeping up tempest 100% of the time, keeping up my rune as well, using blast and using missles when i have 4 - 8 stacks, using barrage as a dump.

Sounds like your rotation and spell priority needs some work, TBQH.

Reforge your helm to haste. Your actually a bit shy on haste, around 200 or so. That 212 haste will help with your tempest.

Your missing a cloak enchant. Enchant Cloak - Superior Intellect

Try switching your weapon to jade spirit.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 05:34 AMPosted by Blackxtyrown

Don't use Tempest, it's a dps loss if you have to dot a bunch of mobs. Living bomb can do what NT does in two GCD's. Just because Blatty uses it, doesn't mean it's right lol. He's a good mage, but even he will tell you he doesn't believe NT is better than LB.

Also, NEVER use barage unless it's right after you activate Alter time. Basic rotation goes like this

LB
Fireblast (if more than 1 target to spread LB)
AB till 6 stacks
When you build two AM procs, alter time+AP then use both missiles, ARCANE BARAGE hit alter time then use missile procs again, but leaving you at 6 stacks.

Use missiles when proc'd
Use scorch when mana gets below 85%
Make sure you have ROP up at all times (I try to have two down in the beg of the fight 30 secs apart from each other.)

Rinse and repeat

Also, Arcane power glyph is bad.
Edited by Klean on 12/6/2012 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I would disregard about everything klean said. as most of it is inocrrect and you'll do less dps if you do so lol. I would break it down but i dont even know where to start...
Reply Quote
Post some logs hamf and we can compare who is right?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Klean basically has it correct as far as I can see. Although I use NT as well over LB.

Basically the idea thats been working for me is to try to keep 6 stacks up for as much of the fight as I can. Barrage is used only if I know I won't be able to refresh them in time. Like on a Vizier platform switch.

I've built Haste so I can swap with Frost if needed. But from what I hear its the same for Mastery folks.
Reply Quote
Klean - 482 ilvl 0 WoL rankings

Hamf - 497 ilvl 10 WoL rankings as arcane. granted most are LFR.

Regardless Klean i dont think anyone is going to tell you how to play your toon. But that is deffeniatly not the correct rotation for optimizing DPS. JUST SAYIN

With 497 iLvl you SHOULD be doing insane DPS, especially at LFR. If we had the same gear lvl, then you can compare WOL. It's silly to think that I would come close in DPS to someone that is over 10 ilvls above me. Especially if you have the set bonuses.

I'm just wondering why you and hamf don't think it's the right rotation? I'm willing to learn, but all the research and testing that i've done has shown this is the optimal rotation.

So what do you think is the right rotation?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Unless you swapped out your gear from crit to mastery, I'm not sure how you can go from Fire to Arcane. Gems and reforging isn't going to cut it. You need to cry and start over.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Sundric
note. while what klean said about schorchweaving is a viable way to play the spec (and blizzard will take it away soon) his numbers are off. and you will need much better gear (two peice) and a bit of haste.

Haste vs mastery are a wash at my gear level. Ive spent thousands of gold regemming/reforging to test which is actually more dps. And the difference was less than 2% between the two stats.

Scorch is almost necessary on mobile fights. I'm always casting, always.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
12/07/2012 10:46 AMPosted by Klean
Post some logs hamf and we can compare who is right?

Then...

12/07/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Klean
If we had the same gear lvl, then you can compare WOL. It's silly to think that I would come close in DPS

I lol'd
Edited by Cremate on 12/7/2012 7:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]