Holy priest chakra state concerns in 10 mans

90 Human Priest
Basically, I find that I very rarely use Sanctuary (AoE) because Holy word: serenity is just too good.

Only in very specific scenarios do I use AoE chakra state. Maybe 2 or 3 different boss phases in an entire instance. The primary reason is because holy word: sanctuary is, frankly, not very good. Even in a melee-heavy group, where sanctuary is always on 5+ targets, I find that it only does 5-8% of my healing for a fight. If I stay serenity chakra, renew is nearly always top healing, primarily because of the refresh, and HW:serenity is nearly always 10+% of my healing. Even in fights where raid damage is very high, serenity always significantly outperforms sanctuary.

The ability to insta-heal for a high amount AND refresh renew to maximum is just too good to pass up. In sanctuary chakra renew is prohibitively expensive. It's just not worth being cast, ever. At all. In the past, renew was buffed in sanctuary state. At this point I don't even think that would help, because HW:sanctuary is just so weak.

So, TL;DR: Sanctuary needs something that makes it more worthwhile during high raid damage, raid-not-stacked phases. The reduction in CoH cooldown and increase in CoH and PoH output (plus a weak aoe heal with a long CD) does not make up for the loss of HW:serenity and the ability to refresh renew with an insta-cast, cascade, or cheap heal. This makes me feel like the chakra states are severely unbalanced in favor of single targets.

I am aware that part of this is because I am in a 10 man group, and in 25's this is much less of an issue. However, I think it's quite bad in 10 mans and could still use some balancing.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
12/06/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Davincy
Only in very specific scenarios do I use AoE chakra state

Then it's actually working as intended - allowing you to use the buff most appropriate to the damage output. In 25s it's never a question since you need to be using your AoE heals much more, but in 10s you get more single-target benefit in several fights (or even phases).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It does seem that chakra stances are working as intended, despite how clunky they feel. Personally, when I go holy, i can't stand using the aoe chakra outside of lfr. It's not strong enough for my 10 man.

But i feel like if they were more homogenous, like giving sanctuary having a worthwhile holy word attached, it would force a holy priest to stay in that chakra for a lot of fights, even in 10 mans.

As it is the whole sanc=25, seren=10 (most of the time) is pretty nice, and fits in with how a lot of other healers have to change their playstyles depending on raid size. (resto shamans in a 25 man being forced into even more spirit than in a 10 man to supercharge mana tide and using more chain heal and healing rain, holy paladins using more light of dawn and less eternal flame, resto druids using the WG glyph and mistweavers using their aoes more often [i'm rusty on mistweaving...])

The only difference is a holy priest gets locked into it by a stance, not by what works the best.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You both make good points and I suppose my complaint is really about the clunkiness of chakra in general. I personally don't like the idea that serenity = 10 and sanctuary = 25; I know it's true, but it annoys me. It feels like I'm missing out on half of my potential.

However, even in LFR, the only reason I use sanctuary is because of the CD reduction of CoH and the buff to PoH. It's not because of HW:Sanctuary. Even if used on CD it's still quite weak, especially for such a long CD and high mana cost.

I guess I still feel like sanctuary state needs some kind of buff. A better HW spell or an improvement in the one that is there.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh, chakra is undoubtedly clunky, but if you think about it, there is a reason to have it. Without it and with the 25% extra healing baked into the spec, a holy priest would be a throughput monster. They already have some pretty powerful burst tank healing with holy word serenity and some pretty powerful aoe with reduced cd CoH and mastery ticking off of aoe heals.

I think that if sanctuary chakra were given a better holy word option, then they'd have to tone down PoH's healing (or reduce the cd reduction for CoH) because holy aoe healing is already fairly powerful.

That being said, it would be nice to have HW: Sanc be something other than a pretty ground effect for when i want to /dance in the shrine.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I think it all just comes down to not having the stronger Renew in Sanctuary.

You're always going to want to use it in Serenity because refreshing it is already very powerful when used well. We don't need Serenity to give us another reason to cast Renew in the form of its direct boost.

We have no reason to cast Renew in Sanctuary - it just seems too weak.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
How are you keeping renew rolling on enough targets to make it your #1 heal?

I can see refreshing it on the tank/offtank, but how many others are you able to refresh? What do you use to refresh the renews?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/08/2012 10:17 PMPosted by Torson
how many others are you able to refresh?

cascade refreshes renew. it's amazing. been able to do 8 people with perfect timing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You really should be using the AE chakra on most fights at some point, 25% more ae healing is just way too much not to. I agree that's it's less useful than the single target one in 10 mans in general though.

Having said that yeah, it's an unpleasant mechanic. At 25% it's extremely punitive if you do end up having to cast the "wrong" heals and yeah, HW: sanctuary is just bad. It could be removed and I wouldn't notice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sounds like its working fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]