throw

90 Human Warrior
400 dps.

Seriously, vanilla called and it wants that move. But in a game where TRASH has a million health, can you please add 2 zeros to that? Because 400 dps doesn't even qualify as a smack in the face, it's more like a nasty sardine flavored burp in the face.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Why are you using throw on trash? Go auto attack it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
entirely missing the point. If it's always 100% the case that in all circumstances I can be in melee, fine. In that case, hey, REMOVE throw. However, it's NOT the case that I can 100% of the time be in melee, therefore it is NOT unreasonable to ask for a ranged attack that is substantial.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Actually, I believe they were going to remove throw at one point but Decided to not because Rogues still wanted some way to pull from range with out taking ST.

It is a token move at best and really not meant for anything serious. It has no need to do anything substantial.

Edit: Just realized OP is a warrior now not sure whos throw he was talking about.
Edited by Sothe on 12/5/2012 2:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
12/05/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Sothe
Edit: Just realized OP is a warrior now not sure whos throw he was talking about.

Warrior, presumably.

12/05/2012 02:45 PMPosted by Darkgrif
It isn't meant to be a means to deal damage at range, just for soloing when you wanna get the attention of something out of reach of melee

Warriors have a 30s cooldown on Heroic Throw though, as well as Taunt. The best argument I can see for it is trying to keep someone in combat while they're running away, because Heroic Throw is on cooldown, and Charge and Heroic Leap aren't usable for whatever reason, but stopping to throw seems like a valid course of action.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Somebody please remind me... what is the point of being melee again? It's to hit mobs with melee weapons isn't it? When the heck are you finding moments to squeeze throw into your rotation?
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Spinnerdh
Somebody please remind me... what is the point of being melee again? It's to hit mobs with melee weapons isn't it? When the heck are you finding moments to squeeze throw into your rotation?

I can't say for Warriors, but for Rogues it was a lot like melee moves for Hunters, in the Rogue case a way to try and proc a ranged CC, like Crippling. Unlike some Hunter melee moves though, it was never very good ... it was never usable on the move and even when it hit the poison wouldn't always proc.

Now of course, it doesn't proc poisons at all and Crippling is only a 50% snare. I'd be mad and QQing about the nerf if other nerfs didn't bother me much more. Except for questing/leveling, Throw is pretty much worthless.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Throw is mainly for pulling, although I do wish it did a bit of damage. Before I could use it to hit a fleeing enemy for around 4000-6000, but right now it does a pathetic 100 damage.

Heroic Throw is also has its problems. What used to do 10-15K damage in Cataclysm now does about 6000-7000. Just seems kind of silly to do far less damage 5 levels later, mainly because they changed it from AP scaling to weapon damage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
*shrug*

It's a way to put a mob at range in combat. It could do 1 damage for all the difference it makes.
Reply Quote
Something to do while sitting in one of the 6000 roots in the game maybe?

Is there any other class that doesn't have access to an appreciable (and face it, 400 dps is peanuts when the average mob has ~400k) damage move when stuck fighting at a particular range? It was the (presumably valid in Blizz's eyes) argument to get rid of the hunter dead zone/minimum range after all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/05/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Spinnerdh

That's really easy for someone to say when they're 100% effective at 0 yards through 40 yards.

What, EXACTLY is the benefit of being "melee only"? I don't do more dps at 0 yards than you do - which, honestly is fine with me, I'm not asking for something that would be game breaking.

And I'm not going to be disingenuous and say "I want a hard hitting move with little or no cd so I can safely pull." I can safely pull ranged because of shockwave and tclap. I have made the mistake of trying to pull with throw, which of course, my threat overriden the first time anyone does anything - but I knew better the first time I used it.

What I am saying, though, is that it is pointless to be a melee only class when you have bosses that have mechanics that force you move out of melee range. I go from 80k dps to 400dps, or I can just stand there, and the latter is nearly as effective as the former.

Again, I'm not asking for a melee dps increase. If I can be in melee, I'm fine. I'm just asking to have SOME *significant* ranged ability. Good god, my level 90 warrior has LESS ranged horsepower than my level 80 warrior (note, *2* expansions ago I could do more ranged dps). What class (other than rogue) can say they do LESS dps now, ranged or melee, than they could 2 expansions ago?
Reply Quote
80 Troll Mage
Throw stops bandages and is a .5 second cast.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/06/2012 06:02 AMPosted by Autoignition
Throw stops bandages and is a .5 second cast.

In a game where every single class with 0 exceptions has a dot, this isn't so important.

edited to reply

also - I don't really care about pvp.
Edited by Williame on 12/6/2012 7:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I was discussing this with someone just yesterday...

How do warriors handle the Brawler's Guild mob that one-shots in melee range? (I think it's the penguin? Not sure though)

The rogue strategy I read said "spam shuriken throw", but warriors have no equivalent. It would take 2 hours to kill something with just throw
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I was discussing this with someone just yesterday...

How do warriors handle the Brawler's Guild mob that one-shots in melee range? (I think it's the penguin? Not sure though)

The rogue strategy I read said "spam shuriken throw", but warriors have no equivalent. It would take 2 hours to kill something with just throw

That penguin has a debuff that causes it to trip over itself (and fall back a bit) whenever it's hit by an attack. As long as you don't back it up against a wall, you can wail away at it. I killed it primarily by melee.

Anyway, Throw is just meant to be a ranged pull for Warriors and Rogues for flying targets and the like. Doesn't really need to be anything more than that.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
12/06/2012 04:29 AMPosted by Williame

That's really easy for someone to say when they're 100% effective at 0 yards through 40 yards.

What, EXACTLY is the benefit of being "melee only"? I don't do more dps at 0 yards than you do - which, honestly is fine with me, I'm not asking for something that would be game breaking.

And I'm not going to be disingenuous and say "I want a hard hitting move with little or no cd so I can safely pull." I can safely pull ranged because of shockwave and tclap. I have made the mistake of trying to pull with throw, which of course, my threat overriden the first time anyone does anything - but I knew better the first time I used it.

What I am saying, though, is that it is pointless to be a melee only class when you have bosses that have mechanics that force you move out of melee range. I go from 80k dps to 400dps, or I can just stand there, and the latter is nearly as effective as the former.

Again, I'm not asking for a melee dps increase. If I can be in melee, I'm fine. I'm just asking to have SOME *significant* ranged ability. Good god, my level 90 warrior has LESS ranged horsepower than my level 80 warrior (note, *2* expansions ago I could do more ranged dps). What class (other than rogue) can say they do LESS dps now, ranged or melee, than they could 2 expansions ago?

Hey, I like how you didn't answer my question and all but when the hell do you actually need to do ranged damage? You should be spending your time running back to the target instead of wasting time on throw. Throw is used to aggro mobs across azeroth you can't reach with melee.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Spinnerdh
Hey, I like how you didn't answer my question and all but when the hell do you actually need to do ranged damage? You should be spending your time running back to the target instead of wasting time on throw. Throw is used to aggro mobs across azeroth you can't reach with melee.

And the great hero of the movie threw is axe, hitting his opponent square in the forehead. The resulting scratch drew his target's ire and a fight ensued!

Yeah, riveting.

Rogues have the option to talent Shuriken Toss, which is why baseline Throw should be in the first place.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
wtf a warrior !@#$%ing about throw? what kind of baddie use's it as a dps? its a way to pull a mob.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

/sigh

ok, fine, off the top of my head, in scarlet monastery there's the boss that puts out a fire aoe that will kill you if you go into it. It's really fun watching mages/hunters/locks tear it up while I just stand there and wait.

There's the zandalari in mv that spam cleave while moving about 3 times faster than you can - again, really fun to charge, hit once, then see "target is out of range"

There's mechanics that make YOU run away from the boss, there's mechanics that makes EVERYONE run away from the boss, and all the time I go from 80k to 400 dps.

I know you're going to come back with something like "who cares about 5 mans or trash" and my answer is, *I* do. I care about whatever it is that I find myself doing, and I'd rather be able to help than see someone who has 40 i levels lower than me doing 1000 times my damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]