Paladin...worth leveling?

90 Undead Monk
Okay so I've been playing my monk alot..and it has been amazing! Alot of hard times, funny times and beast times (Kicking teeth in)

but I really want to start leveling another class, I've tried leveling my 85 shaman but they just seem so slow and boring. I've tried leveling a paladin as well, but it wasn't boring and I was hitting things really hard...but it was slow, and not much to do (Only got to level 15...had a level 80 but deleted him do to bad decision making)

So should i try picking up the 'mantle' of a paladin once again? I would like to Ret for main spec and prot for off spec! So how is both specs doing at the moment in pve,pvp,tanking and such

I'm not looking for faceroll, or something that will come easy for me to get used too..I'm looking for something that is fun and effective in the right hands
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can try to get your deleted paladin back. Just submit a ticket for it and a GM see what he/she can do.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
12/05/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Arte
You can try to get your deleted paladin back. Just submit a ticket for it and a GM see what he/she can do.

The level 80 one can not be restored...deleted him over a year and a half ago, the start of cata
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I can't say much for Ret as I rarely used it, but Protection Paladins are doing really well. They have good AoE threat capabilities, amazing survivability and raid defense CD's, decent self heals and absorbs. It does decent damage once Vengeance builds up. With Glyph of The Battle Healer, you can potentially do a decent amount of raid healing while tanking as well.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
12/05/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Zokoro
I can't say much for Ret as I rarely used it, but Protection Paladins are doing really well. They have good AoE threat capabilities, amazing survivability and raid defense CD's, decent self heals and absorbs. It does decent damage once Vengeance builds up. With Glyph of The Battle Healer, you can potentially do a decent amount of raid healing while tanking as well.

Sounds amazing, sort of like a support/tank type deal than?

Is prot at all viable in pvp? I remember my last attempt to level a pally right before mop came out I was prot/fc and 4 rogues, and a lock tried killing me...but couldn't do to my heals and damage it was crazy
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
There is nothing faceroll about ret right now. So, go for it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
12/05/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Foritaine
There is nothing faceroll about ret right now. So, go for it.

But can it do 'enough' in the right hands damage wise
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
Well... by the time you hit 90 with it, we might be back up to where we were supposed to be.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
12/05/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Foritaine
Well... by the time you hit 90 with it, we might be back up to where we were supposed to be.

I could hit 80 in a day if I nerd out...so I could be 90 in a day and some hours
Reply Quote
87 Human Paladin
Yeah... don't do that, take your time.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Bump...

more information please!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
12/05/2012 03:43 PMPosted by Foritaine
Yeah... don't do that, take your time.

Well..I don't really want to fall so far behind
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Don't roll a paladin and expect to be invited to anything besides tanking or healing. Ret isn't good in raids or PvP. Roll a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
12/05/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Invincible
Don't roll a paladin and expect to be invited to anything besides tanking or healing. Ret isn't good in raids or PvP. Roll a mage.

I've seen alot of good paladins...though, topping meters or second too me
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you like support/tank idea, prot is really fun to play right now. The playstyle is quick and fun, with quite a bit of damage, along with healing for ourselves and teammates. Heroics are a blast! we can cruise through them with our mobility and ability to snag mobs from ranged. I would be prot if I wasn't needed as holy, it's just that fun imo. I think we're the worst FC for pvp though :/ Our lack of mobility kills us, especially in smoke bombs.

Ret is also really fun for pve,and it does pull enough dps. It's not like people are benching rets for progression simply because of the spec's strength. I like the haste again here, fun feel and rotation.

Can't say much for pvp. Lots of people say it is super weak atm, but i don't really trust them tbh. I hope to get into pvp soon though, once I get some extra time off school.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/05/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Invincible

If you played prot or holy, you would be telling people that those specs suck too.

Ret can do better than what you're doing with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is fine if you plan on raiding, we are not the best but you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into a raid, especially if you know what you are doing.

I haven't played prot but from what I've heard it's a pretty decent spec as well.

As for Ret in PvP, there are much better specs. We aren't the worst spec but nowhere near the best. You can still do well as ret as long as you know how to play and what your role is, but don't expect to be facerolling through matches to high ratings.

Prot in PvP is nonexistent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
From what I've experience in MoP so far.. from Ret point of view..

PvE is a lot of fun with ret. Always been since Wrath. Not the best DPS out there but solid.

PvP... at times fun, at times terrible. Talking about random BGs and some world PvP. I feel weak against melee, sometimes more confident against ranged actually. Also feeling a bit weak in 1v1 situations. I think that sustained pressure is low outside burst, but then again we have all those support spells that level the strength budget out. But when you're alone there is no one to support so that kinda fades away, so here's possible explanation.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/05/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Arte
If you played prot

I play prot and it gets the job done.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I think paladins are in excellent shape in PvE at the moment.

Prot pallies feel better to me than they ever have, and I like that they mechanically favor threat/DPS stats as a shield tank. Very interesting model. Also incredibly powerful overall, as always. An aware, hyperactive prot pally can be one of the best things to have in any raid.

Ret, well, I know Ret is very subjective and I know it has had a rough time in PvE and it's still not seeing phenomonal results on Raidbots. But personally, I think the 5.0 Ret is the most entertaining melee spec at the moment. I absolutely love it. This is the first expansion that I kind of regret leveling my warrior first because of how good Ret feels.

In terms of Ret "in the right hands", as you said, yes, it can perform extremely well. I know a couple Rets we raid with sometimes, and one of them consistently blows the meters up by a decent amount. I wouldn't expect it to always perform so well, and it's certainly not going to compete with expertly played Assassination or Affliction, but it's certainly ok. And again, the playstyle is just great.

I don't PvP so I'll just leave that mess alone.

I definitely think you should level one up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]