How Many Mogu Lives/Gold is a 509 Ring Worth?

90 Human Priest
I wrote a post discussing the concept of optional a few days ago: http://balkothsword.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-ring-vendor-on-optional.html

Within the post, I mentioned the idea of Blizzard adding a vendor who sold 509 rings and asked what people would do to get the rings, either in terms of paying gold or killing Mogu. The idea being that different people would consider the ring mandatory to get at different values. Someone might think it's worth killing 50 Mogu. Someone else might think it's worth killing 1,000 Mogu. Someone might think the ring is worth 500g. Someone else might think the ring is worth 100,000g.

Based on a comment that was left, I made another post looking at the scenario specifically: http://balkothsword.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-many-mogu-lives-andor-gold-is-ring.html

I've also added a pair of polls with the new post. I'm actually very curious to see what different people consider mandatory and the value/effort people attach to an item that doesn't require a raid lockout, Valor points, or Conquest points.

If this sounds interesting to you, read the posts and/or vote on the polls.
Edited by Balkoth on 12/5/2012 9:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Would make some people run a bot.

There's a reason you cant buy EVERYTHING (just some stuff)
Edited by Postonforums on 12/5/2012 8:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
30k gold or 4k Mogu... both take about the same time for me, I think... Voted 30k because that's about how much I paid to craft for my DMF trinket via my inscript alt...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
The 509 cloth caster belt went for 400k on our BMAH, and the 509 cloth boots for 363k, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
The value of gold varies wildly based on server pop, especially when it comes to the bmah.

And to the poster above: I saw a 509 cloth belt go for all of 35k on a low pop server
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Would make some people run a bot.

There's a reason you cant buy EVERYTHING (just some stuff)

The whole point is to find out what people think is mandatory WITHOUT botting. The point at which they go from thinking "Yeah, I'm letting my team down if I don't get that" to "Only someone insane would get that."

Clearly everyone would buy the ring for 5g and no one would buy the ring for 5,000,000g. But what's the breaking point for various people?

12/06/2012 01:41 AMPosted by Faderoll
The value of gold varies wildly based on server pop, especially when it comes to the bmah.

Naturally. Sort of also curious to see the relative value of grinding mobs versus making gold to different people and seeing if the answers clump at any particular points.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
The whole point is to find out what people think is mandatory WITHOUT botting. The point at which they go from thinking "Yeah, I'm letting my team down if I don't get that" to "Only someone insane would get that."

If It's available outside raid time, it's another "casual item" which casuals will say "oh thats too much work" much like VP gear and all the other things made "for them", which leaves hardcores required.

Even if it was 5 million mogu or 1mil gold, as long as it's outside raid, I would do it if it was my BIS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/06/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Postonforums
If It's available outside raid time, it's another "casual item" which casuals will say "oh thats too much work" much like VP gear and all the other things made "for them", which leaves hardcores required.

If the hardcores consider it reasonable, yes. Grinding the Amber Shards for Klaxxi wasn't considered mandatory, just doing the dailies.

Even if it was 5 million mogu or 1mil gold, as long as it's outside raid, I would do it if it was my BIS.

Yet the 509 items don't go for 999,999g every time even on the highest pop servers as far as I know. It's BiS for people, but why aren't most hardcores who do the daily grinds, VP capping, and conquest capping willing to pay that much?

I know that for my guild, even at the start of the expansion I only authorized a maximum of 150k for BMAH items. If someone wanted an item that wound up going higher, they had to cover it out of pocket. My neck was bought for 225kish, I think, and I had lowered the authorization to only 125k at that point, so I paid the rest out of pocket. But I wasn't willing to pay 999,999g.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
If the hardcores consider it reasonable, yes. Grinding the Amber Shards for Klaxxi wasn't considered mandatory, just doing the dailies.

Was revered inside week 1, so they were irrelevant.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/06/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Digerati
The 509 cloth caster belt went for 400k on our BMAH, and the 509 cloth boots for 363k, lol.

An auction is very different to a vendor item.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Whoa now. You're willing to grind 5 million Mogu and/or 1 million gold for a 509 item, but you didn't care enough to get exalted with Klaxxi for the 489 neck (which takes a fraction of the effort)?

Because if you were revered within week 1, then you clearly hadn't raided yet and didn't know if you'd happen to get a neck fro raiding, so you should have kept doing dailies.

I know *I* kept doing them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

The point is, you wouldn't. Because you don't have any 509's, unless you're telling me nothing has coming up on the BMAH that is for your class.

In fact, I've also argued that Galleon became far outside the realm of "expected", because what you need to do to get it (sit at spawn point for 24 hours a day, etc.) is wayyy past the line of "wow, those people are insane".

Cool thread.

Edit: For disclosure, I voted 1000 mogu and 20,000 gold.
Edited by Azloran on 12/6/2012 4:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
THe common threshold you're going to see is that the threshold is along the lines of what can be done within a week, if I took a guess.

Of course, "what can be done within a week" is a variable in itself, but that should give a reference to correlate to. THe person willing to kill 20,000 mobs is most likely a person who has 2x the time to commit as a person willing to kill 10,000 mobs. That same person is probably also going to be willing to pay 2x as much.

Personally, I'd be looking at ~25-30k. I can't really give you a measure for Mogu, because that's also a bit of a variable (Mogu with 500k health, how clustered they are etc.), but I CAN say that I'd probably go up into 10-20k if I could expect to kill 500-1k an hour.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For me personally, nothing over 10K for gold. It's a ring slot item, one of the lowest itemized pieces in the gear set, and it's from tier 1, thus will be replaced. Also, I never have much more than 10k at any time anyway.

Not sure on mogu grinding. Might be willing to go crazy on it, but not sure...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Bump.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/06/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Azloran
In fact, I've also argued that Galleon became far outside the realm of "expected", because what you need to do to get it (sit at spawn point for 24 hours a day, etc.) is wayyy past the line of "wow, those people are insane".

Excellent example.

Sha of Anger was considered mandatory for tier pieces and 483 items.

Trying to get every Galleon kill was definitely in the realm of optional.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Postonforums

How were they irrelevant? Getting the Klaxxi neck could have saved you valor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/06/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Slashlove
Of course, "what can be done within a week" is a variable in itself, but that should give a reference to correlate to. THe person willing to kill 20,000 mobs is most likely a person who has 2x the time to commit as a person willing to kill 10,000 mobs. That same person is probably also going to be willing to pay 2x as much.

That's an interesting idea for the killing of Mogu, that it depends upon how much free time you have in general.

I suspect gold might be a little different, though, since you can stockpile it ahead of time and it technically doesn't cost you any significant amount of time to actually buy the ring.

12/07/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Mneme

How were they irrelevant? Getting the Klaxxi neck could have saved you valor.

Indeed. Ditto for grinding keys for Golden Lotus.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Interesting.

My guild, and many like it I believe, operate on the principle that If there is an upgrade you can grind for, be it rep or killing stuff, you should, but money shouldn't be required. Odd I know since farming makes money, but a lot of people subscribe to it.

Having Only about 100k to my name, for a 509 BiS ring, assuming early into a patch (ie no CHANCE of an upgrade within 2-3months) I would spend perhaps 10-15k gold. For mogu, if I could kill them at my leisure, over time, WITHOUT the constancy of getting ganked, id be willing to kill 100-200 a day on average for a month before calling it quits, so 3000-6000.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
grinding mobs has its limits. after getting 3 skyshards and none off countless mobs after it, I have basically given up on that chase. for now.

as for the ring, i might be motivated to do it over time, but not grind every day mindlessly. even near 500 ilvl, grinding mobs is still boring.

it's something I would like, but I wouldnt grind 24/7 for it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]