Are you serious?

90 Worgen Mage
Remember back when we had a spell called Blizzard
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
12/06/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Oaklander
You do realize that a LOT of specs have poor level 90 talents, right? I mean paladin, hunter, DK and druid level 90 talents are poor, why should mage level 90 talents be any different? Perhaps the level 90 talents are not supposed to be awesome at all. You are just angry at GC because he nerfed your spec.....sour grapes.

If you aren't a mage, I don't want to hear it. I have a pally, and while her 90 talents are not that great, they are way better than the mage talents.
Reply Quote
89 Human Mage
Honestly I hope he nerfs the **$# of mages. Mages are the new facerollers. I like mages I really do, levelling this guy through BGs but I don't plan on playing him at 90 because of how easy and pathetic it is to be a mage.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
invocation is ++++++ u will get used to it.... but why bother? go roll a shad preist or some other fun class :D Guarantee its funner than Arcane lol :D
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Our 90 talents are lame, but I don't think there's any real chance Blizz will scrap them before patch 6.0. That kind of major change simply isn't done in the middle of an expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
how is 25% dmg increase(invocation) lame? !@#$ before they take that away too!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
12/06/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Barrìcade

Its more of a 7% damage increase actually.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

That's simply not true. Invocation is a calculated 11.11% increase over an infinite time scale. Heck using it at 80% of its potential is a 9% increase. However this doesn't take into consideration burst windows like combustion, icy-veins or potions that can be controlled for to further increase this damage advantage. Lhivera wrote a giant article about the compounding effect burst windows have on Mage DPS here: http://lhiveras-library.com/content/level-90-mage-talents.

The damage benefit of invocation is far greater than either of the alternatives for burst windows which is why all top mages use it to the exclusion of the other talents except for Arcane for rotational purposes. There are a few scenarios where IW will be possible, but its more difficult to perfectly control for in almost all scenarios and doesn't produce significantly greater results while having much greater penalties for failing to use optimally.

What I'm trying to say is that non-arcane mages who know what they're doing use invocation, mages that don't use IW. Invocation is a documented damage increase over the alternatives and even in cases where IW can pull ahead like Garalon, you're hurting raid progression by foregoing a 160k+ heal for a crappy barrier and negligible DPS increase (the majority of ranking mages on Garalon are NOT using IW). The tier 6 mage talents are -not- choice oriented, there is a clear winner (invocation for frost/fire, RoP for arcane) in every scenario and moving away from this is playing sub-optimally.
Edited by Medívh on 12/7/2012 12:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
12/06/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Coldstreak
Honestly I hope he nerfs the **$# of mages. Mages are the new facerollers. I like mages I really do, levelling this guy through BGs but I don't plan on playing him at 90 because of how easy and pathetic it is to be a mage.

Is this the part where you tell us you play a warrior or a lock?

12/06/2012 03:55 PMPosted by Barrìcade
invocation is ++++++ u will get used to it.... but why bother? go roll a shad preist or some other fun class :D Guarantee its funner than Arcane lol :D

Fun is subjective. I rather enjoy the intricacies of Arcane.

12/06/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Mistwynd
Our 90 talents are lame, but I don't think there's any real chance Blizz will scrap them before patch 6.0. That kind of major change simply isn't done in the middle of an expansion.

I really only dislike Rune of Power and the extremely limited mobility that it demands. Invocation isn't a big deal to me, and I rather enjoy IA.
Reply Quote
89 Human Mage
12/07/2012 12:31 AMPosted by Megeddon
Is this the part where you tell us you play a warrior or a lock?

I play all classes. I prefer a warrior, but I mained this guy last expansion. I love mages but the playstyle is over the top easy for the damage output. I saw a mage in PvE doing insane damage purely off of ice lance. 100k dps with mostly ice lance spam. I have a pic too if you want it. My main concern is pvp though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Even worse, GC promised that there will be more dailies in 5.2

O M G, u can kill me now, I don't want to be killed by the dailies nightmares.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Even worse, GC promised that there will be more dailies in 5.2

O M G, u can kill me now, I don't want to be killed by the dailies nightmares.

I find it funny that they say the dailies are optional when reputation gains from the Black Prince for the legendary quest line are 100% dependent on daily quest mob kills. So is Blizzard really saying competitive raiders can willingly pass up legendary quality items with no real penalty? I mean you can somewhat argue the point on the valor gear, but the legendaries?
Reply Quote
Don't blame GC here. It takes a village to create a monumental screw up like this. The design failure is systemic. He's just the public face of the design team.

If I had to blame any single person, they guy I'd be pointing fingers at is the mage dev. That guy dialed it in during Beta. But I'm doubting it is a single person's fault. The complete and utter lack of communication with mages on the level 90 talents seems to me indicative of a collapse in the feedback system of Blizzard generally.

It's not enough to send out twitters. It's not enough to say they have read our posts. This mulish silence and near Mafia style dedication to omerta is breathtaking.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
God I just wish Blizz would open their eyes and REPLACE our level 90 talents.

Most of us don't want something fancy I am positive 95% would be ecstatic with 3 new passives.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
God I just wish Blizz would open their eyes and REPLACE our level 90 talents.

Most of us don't want something fancy I am positive 95% would be ecstatic with 3 new passives.

Whether they would or wouldn't is irrelevant. Its too late to overhaul the T6 talents until next expansion. Any modification they make to one has serious viability issues for the other 2 talents. You are better off spending your time and energy lobbying for something you can actually get, like re-moderation of the Fire nerfs or switching to a class whose talents bother you less. The T6 mage talents are here to stay, at best you're going to get some QoL changes that will likely come with strings attached to the other talents, more likely we'll see no change at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
[quote="73198638881"]
Is that solely on the blame of the level 90 talents? No. Not at all. Blizzard listened to the people who were bad at the spec, but could pull good numbers and tried to make it "harder." The ironic thing is they made it easier, but more difficult to pull high numbers. This would be a good thing, but the difficulty in pullin high numbers is the rng of how many AM procs you get and not in how well you were able to manage mana.

Not much that can be done about it at this point and I will forever shake my fist at all the people who wanted Arcane to change from Cata. Killed my second favorite spec right there.

This. In my case, they killed the only spec I enjoyed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
12/06/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Draagun

and Cone of Cold used to be one of our most badass spells even in 1v1?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

That's simply not true. Invocation is a calculated 11.11% increase over an infinite time scale. Heck using it at 80% of its potential is a 9% increase. However this doesn't take into consideration burst windows like combustion, icy-veins or potions that can be controlled for to further increase this damage advantage. Lhivera wrote a giant article about the compounding effect burst windows have on Mage DPS here: http://lhiveras-library.com/content/level-90-mage-talents.

The damage benefit of invocation is far greater than either of the alternatives for burst windows which is why all top mages use it to the exclusion of the other talents except for Arcane for rotational purposes. There are a few scenarios where IW will be possible, but its more difficult to perfectly control for in almost all scenarios and doesn't produce significantly greater results while having much greater penalties for failing to use optimally.

What I'm trying to say is that non-arcane mages who know what they're doing use invocation, mages that don't use IW. Invocation is a documented damage increase over the alternatives and even in cases where IW can pull ahead like Garalon, you're hurting raid progression by foregoing a 160k+ heal for a crappy barrier and negligible DPS increase (the majority of ranking mages on Garalon are NOT using IW). The tier 6 mage talents are -not- choice oriented, there is a clear winner (invocation for frost/fire, RoP for arcane) in every scenario and moving away from this is playing sub-optimally.

Couple things.

Made up statistic, but I'm willin to bet 90% of the forum population aren't rankin Mages and could actually use the flexibility of IW to increases their dps substantially, but because of jacked mentalities like yours they feel obligated to use the "best" talents and end up doin even less than they should have.

Playin RoP and Invocation perfectly is much much harder than simply usin IW. Any If you ever have to cancel an Evocate for whatever reason you'll lose far more dps than you gain by takin Invocation over IW.

The realistic gains from Invocation and Rune of Power (read not perfect usage) are barely ahead of never usin IW's shield. You can dispute this all you like, but this was the case all the way back in beta after the last changes to the level 90 talents and unless somethin changed that I wasn't aware of, it should continue to be the case now. I wouldn't mind a link to where you had learned about the 11% number though as I'm mildly curious about it.

The only actual important part is that IW is most definitely worse for controlled burst windows. Obviously you cant use the burst except for when theres damage goin out, meanin there are several times where you wont be able to gain a burst when you need a burst (Elegon bein a prime example of this).

My major point is that people need to stop payin attention to people like you 100% of the time, the "There can be only 1!" crowd. You all poison the well for new players and make them do incredibly terrible things that make the game far less enjoyable for them than it should be.

As I said earlier in this very post. The majority of the people who post in these threads are not rankin mages. They're not runnin hard modes. They're not world first players. These are the people that force themselves to use Rune of Power and Invocation because some jerk told them it was the only answer when that is most clearly not the case. These people (I will freely admit I am one of them) would gain far far more damage by usin the "bad" choice of IW versus the "good" choice of Invocation/Rune of Power.

12/07/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Sockomage

and Cone of Cold used to be one of our most badass spells even in 1v1?

My CoC hit for 1 million damage last night in LFR. I consider that pretty badass.
Edited by Añd on 12/7/2012 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
mage is still fun. i just dont take it as seriously as I did. and healing is fun as hell (on my hpal)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]