I don't get it…

One thing I've kept wondering about since MoP has come out is why monks can tank. It's not so much a question of game mechanics--I mean Blizzard can skew the numbers which ever way they want to make the game work; It's more a question of the narrative behind the different classes. A quick review:

Warrior: A big tough guy with a lot of pent up rage wearing heavy plate armor = tank; Check.

Paladin: A holy knight equipped in heavy plate armor and able to channel divine power to smite all enemies of the light = tank; Check.

Death Knight: A plate-armored warrior called back from the grave enhanced with dark powers better left unspoken = tank; Ok, check.

Druid: A huge, tough bear, oblivious to pain, and able to tear through multiple enemies with the swipe of a claw = tank; I'll buy into that--Check.

Monk: A beer-guzzling peasant, once forbidden to carry weapons, but is now into spirituality and bare-handed slap fights, who can wear leather, but is more often found in his pajamas sipping tea = tank; What the Elf?

Perhaps everyone else in the world understands this, but I just don't follow. It's kind of like that old Sesame Street song, "Which of these things doesn't belong here; Which of these things are kind of the same?"

BUT, if we accept the premise that a kung-fu-styled monk makes an appropriate tank, then that begs the question of why some other classes aren't able to function as tanks. Shamans carry a nice big shield and wear heavy armor; A couple of tweaks to a totem or two to hold aggro, and presto, you've got a tank with some very interesting gameplay. Hunters, likewise wear some of the heavier mail armor, and are used to tanking for themselves through their pets from day one. Plus they have a nice little map which shows the location of all the enemies in an area. A few tweaks to give more control over their pets and make them group friendly, and voilá: tank.

Anyway, as I said before, it's not so much about gameplay; I'm versatile and will adapt my play style to accommodate the individual doing the tanking regardless of class. I just don't comprehend the back-story (or lack thereof) behind some of the new content.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Have you never seen Chinese martial arts movies? Monks take like a zillion hits and just shrug 'em off. Also, from a more realistic perspective the ability to turn ones own attacks against them is as effective as using heavy armor. The best defense is never getting hit.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Lightning
The best defense is never getting hit.

AMEN! You don't have to tell that twice to a rogue!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Lawl @ "What the Elf?"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Your concept of a monk is rather limited. It makes much more sense if you think about kung fu instead of pandarens.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Monk: A beer-guzzling peasant, once forbidden to carry weapons, but is now into spirituality and bare-handed slap fights, who can wear leather, but is more often found in his pajamas sipping tea = tank; What the Elf?

http://www.wallmay.net/thumbnails/detail/20120812/street%20fighter%20iv%20e%20honda%201920x1080%20wallpaper_www.wallmay.com_84.jpg

If he can't be a tank, your telling him.....
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Gnomes can be tanks. All arguments are invalid. Welcome to fantasy.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Feanorion
We never need to sleep.

Elf.

We never pee or poop.

Elf Zombie.

We can swim for hours in full plate armor.

Lightweight Elf Zombie.

We can carry multiple full suits of armor, polearms, two-handed weapons, stacks of ore, mounds of fecal matter for quests--- all in bags on our belts.

Lightweight Magic Elf Zombie.

We can summon horses, dinosaurs, and other riding beasts from thin air.

Backpacking Lightweight Magic Elf Zombie.

Carrying full kits of gear, we can ride on rocket-powered kites, insectile birds, bats, and other frail-looking flying beasts.

Backpacking Lightweight Magic Elf Zombie Zoologist.

No matter how many bags we have that are much, much bigger, we all still carry around a tiny knapsack on our backs, and we REFUSE to change it out.

Obsessive-Compulsive Backpacking Lightweight Magic Elf Zombie Zoologist.

We can kill demons, dragons, liches, sorcerors, old gods, and other monstrosities; but a waist high hedge completely confounds us.

Crippled Obsessive-Compulsive Backpacking Lightweight Magic Elf Zombie Zoologist.
Edited by Krinu on 12/6/2012 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
[quote="73198638622"]We can carry multiple full suits of armor, polearms, two-handed weapons, stacks of ore, mounds of fecal matter for quests--- all in bags on our belts.

That's why you had bags of holding, portable holes, and handy haversacks in D&D. Why have a base of operations, when you can carry everything with you!
Reply Quote
/bow
Reply Quote
http://www.wallmay.net/thumbnails/detail/20120812/street%20fighter%20iv%20e%20honda%201920x1080%20wallpaper_www.wallmay.com_84.jpg

If he can't be a tank, your telling him.....

That's the most convincing argument yet.

12/06/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Krinu
Lawl @ "What the Elf?"

:D Glad you picked up on that! I'm trying to coin that phrase. Spread it around as often as you can.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
12/06/2012 10:58 AMPosted by Krinu
Crippled Obsessive-Compulsive Backpacking Lightweight Magic Elf Zombie Zoologist.

The awesomeness of this defies words.

Well played.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
I always thought it was pretty funny that the Monk tank spec is called Brewmaster.

Could have been some skilled martial artist with years of training, well disciplined in the art of suppressing pain and skilfully deflecting blows, but let's chuck some kegs of beer around, no worries.

I like it though, it's a lot of fun.
Edited by Fabulosity on 12/6/2012 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
77 Pandaren Monk
Drunk = not registering pain
Drunk = unpredictable movements making it harder to be hit
Drunk = profane insults being thrown at the enemy to make them attack the monk
Monk = combat training and meditation techniques (seen the vid of a show where a martial artist takes a 1000lb force kick to the gonads and shrugs it off as a lite poke?)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ze-xQoEfOU

This is why monks can tank.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]