Highest DPS spec for 5-man Heroics

90 Blood Elf Warlock
I just recently hit 90 and decided I wanted to do more PvE this expansion than I have in the past. I'm a pretty casual player. I have a pretty simple question about running 5-man Heroics. Traditionally I know Affliction takes longer to build up to see the damage roll in but I haven't messed around with it this expansion to see if that holds true. What I'm wondering is if Affliction is the best 5-man spec as I know it is the best for raids.

(Wall of text break)

I know most people will say play what you know best and what you like best but personally what I like best is topping the chart. So while I farm 5-mans is Affliction viable or too slow starting for the 5-man pace? Also not asking for gear suggestions or any of that I haven't enchanted, gemmed, even reforged for any specific spec until I decide.

Thanks in advance
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Affliction has the worst AE but buildup time is pretty short now with soulburn>soulswap.

Think it's still the best.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Probably destruction for 5-mans.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
Doesn't demo do the best aoe dps. Well I'm 83 and it does in 5 mans for me. I usually top the charts as demo
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
You may or may not be able to answer this one but I know DPS =/= damage done and I'm wondering in a 5-man will Affliction do more overall damage over the high DPS numbers of AE spam?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
5-mans are an AoE zergfest. Go demonology and never look back. The amount of AoE you can do with a full demonic fury bar is amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Yeah I might have to take that route, 5-mans are boring enough at least jumping in and out of Demon form gives me something to focus on.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Demonology is the best spec for 5 mans.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
12/06/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Hoimen
Demonology is the best spec for 5 mans.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
He asked what the highest dps spec was for five mans. Speccing destro and shadowburning everything in a trash pack will get you the highest dps in seconds even if a demo lock has been aoeing the whole time.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I roll as a Affliction/Destro, and see a much larger benefit as destro by being able to lay down a FB Immolate and throw a couple of Rain of Fires, it's also faster paced and helps you get through trash faster.
I did see a bit more damage done with Affliction, I'm sure it was the boss fights that put it over the edge, but you're going to be spamming SoC, while timing your Soul Swap to switch your dots over, and well, if your a second too late, you have to rebuild them.

I say listen to the posters, and go with Demo, the Immolation Aura, Aura of Elements, and Hand of Guldan, plus having the Felguard go Herod on everything, would be good for trash.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
@malagon

What happens when u shadowburn 3 times and run out of embers and have to spend over a minute doing low dps on trash to get the 3 back?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
For 5 man, Demonology all the way. For 5 man, use Imp Swarm, pool your fury before a boss and blow them up. DS:K, Meta, Imps.. and use your doomguard on first/last boss.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/06/2012 04:13 PMPosted by Malagon
He asked what the highest dps spec was for five mans. Speccing destro and shadowburning everything in a trash pack will get you the highest dps in seconds even if a demo lock has been aoeing the whole time.

I've ran many 5mans as destro and I feel like a cheater when it comes to dps meters. Spamming shadowburn on mobs that were going to die a second later regardless of casting shadowburn or not to pad the meters felt shameful. Sure, there were times where it was useful, like on bosses, but that was about it.

Go demo, glyph imp swarm, and don't look back.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
@malagon

What happens when u shadowburn 3 times and run out of embers and have to spend over a minute doing low dps on trash to get the 3 back?

Well, what happens is that you don't run out of embers.

Shadowburn builds embers, as long as the target dies. And you only use it when targets will die, so it is infinite ember for cleaning up the last of a trash pack.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/07/2012 07:30 AMPosted by Darkith

I've ran many 5mans as destro and I feel like a cheater when it comes to dps meters. Spamming shadowburn on mobs that were going to die a second later regardless of casting shadowburn or not to pad the meters felt shameful. Sure, there were times where it was useful, like on bosses, but that was about it.

Go demo, glyph imp swarm, and don't look back.

Yea, it's really meter padding. If a mob has 50k health left and you hit it with a Shadowburn for 400k, 350k of that hit is fake dps. But, it still can easily put you on top of the dps meters, which is what I thought the OP was asking. I rock demo in dungeons too, and it tears ish up. But I can technically do more "dps" with destruction if I time my shadowburns right.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Demo: fun to play, own aoe, and do good dps damage against single target as well. I just started running 5 mans and already have to be careful to not pull aggro off tanks that are way better geared than me. also, if you glyph dark apotheosis and grab harvest life u can tank heroics with a decent enough healer. that and its just fun, its the spec that feel most like a warlock. aff feels to much like priest and destro to much like mage.
Edited by Gakha on 12/7/2012 6:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]