Ret PvE?

10 Human Warrior
Viable? Good?

Will it top charts or is it just...there?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
It's doin well enough, a little on the low end in the grand scheme but not by nearly enough to be considered gimp.

Any spec in the game can top charts with the right amount of advantage, luck, skill and gear, ret isnt so far behind any of the top teir specs that it cant overtake them with a reasonable advantage.

Also look at it this way, every spec in the top 10 is likely looking at a nerf of some kind in the near future, in 5.1 hunters went from dead last to middle of the pack (14th to 17th placeish), while fire mages went from like, second to almost bottom teir ;P. These numbers change so widly fast that if you want a solid class to play stick as close to the middle (Or slightly below the middle) as you can get, that's where you want to be.

For the records rets sustained dps is a little on the low end, theres 6 specs below it, but its realistic damage, the number your gonna be really getting for anything outside of some LFR bosses, its actually right smack in the middle, which as I said is the absolutely perfect place to be cus your very unlikely to get nerfed.
Edited by Nabudis on 12/6/2012 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Middle of the pack, not good, not bad. If you know what you're doing your DPS will be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is in a really good spot right now with gear, in lower gear lvls we will be fairly weak but once you start gearing up you will slowly get higher comparatively in the charts.

We do really well on some fights, including Garajal and Elegon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You will be regularly beat by people of the same skill/gear level. It's not "good," but it is "acceptable."

On the bright side, it is fun.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
If you know what you're doing your DPS will be exceptional, we are quite gear dependent though and you won't just be able to face roll the keyboard and top the charts.

We're roughly middle of the pack to mid high in sims.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 12/6/2012 4:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Simulations put us at about middle of the DPS pack; practically speaking, in LFR, I'm usually not lower than top five - most typically, top three.

Damage aside, Ret is one of the most fun and engaging specs I've played since 5.0 - the only other close one being Enhancement Shaman. I would definitely recommend getting it to about 50~60 to really get a feel for it, then decide for yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret historically has almost always been middle of the pack. We don't get large buffs, or large nerfs like the rest of the FOTM specs.

I'd say its stable :x
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Ret is roughly middle of the pack, ON a PATCHWERK style encounter, since those don't exist in t14, Ret is pretty much competitive.

dps is fine, but naturally lower than certain classes on some fights, in general though, Ret is higher than middle of the pack and gets much better with gear, especially the 4 set and a good weapon.

Patchwerk style sims aren't exactly the best way to gauge a classes performance, It sucks that there aren't really many other options outside of simcraft, raidbots, and worldoflogs. Patchwerk style fights really don't exist this tier of raiding, so that data needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We're pretty good ATM. I usually beat out most of our other dps and come in 1st or 2nd, and we have fairly good dpsers.

Like others have said, we fall behind on sustained and multi dot fights a bit, but not enough to worry about. We really shine on any burst or AoE fights. All of our AoE abilities besides sor start being a dps boost at 2 targets, so it scales amazingly well as the number of mobs goes up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/06/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Cadenbrie
We're roughly middle of the pack to mid high in sims.

why do people keep saying this? Granted, in game performance will vary, but simulation's will place us second to last.
http://www.simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
Remember when we could bubble and use avenging wrath with no dps decrease? Ahhh I got to feel op for one week.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Remember when we 3.0 came out and we could actually kill something without needing to blow every CD? Ahhhh that was a good day.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In Raid Finder, I generally pull around 4-7th in DPS in my PvE gear (it's ilvl 482ish) for the overall stats, and somewhere around 5-9th in specific boss pulls without trash mobs. Our AoE is just... just so wonderful. The single target sustained is a bit rougher, but I'm not rocking out a four-piece raid set yet. Generally, the people who beat me in DPS also have full raid gear pieces too, so there's that.

Note that I don't do any progression raiding whatsoever and Raid Finder is as hardcore as I go in PvE, so take it with a grain of salt.
Reply Quote

For the records rets sustained dps is a little on the low end, theres 6 specs below it, but its realistic damage, the number your gonna be really getting for anything outside of some LFR bosses, its actually right smack in the middle, which as I said is the absolutely perfect place to be cus your very unlikely to get nerfed.
If you don't have the T14 4-piece, DP is at least as good as the other L75 talents and brings up sustained DPS at the expense of some burst DPS. If you're concerned about everything being in the burst, look at taking DP.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I do pretty well. Just time your stuff correctly, and you will scale well with gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As I understand it, we are roughly middle of the pack in terms of theoretically optimal play. However, since the vast majority of players are way far off from perfectly optimal, there is plenty of room for a competent Ret to stand out.

I'm not doing much "real" raiding this tier, but in LFR I'm pretty consistently first or second place on bosses, despite my blue weapon. And with a couple talent/glyph swaps, I can rock face on AoE stuff like heroics. It's not perfect, but Ret PvE is in a pretty good place overall.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/06/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Simulations put us at about middle of the DPS pack; practically speaking, in LFR, I'm usually not lower than top five - most typically, top three.

LFR is by no means a metric of Ret performance. I've done it with very little attention and without the use of any cooldowns and still got top 5 on almost every boss.
Doing real raids with other equally geared players who know their class you will have a fight on your hand especially if they are hunters, locks, mages or warriors.
We get left behind on some fights due to a lack of a real cleave, but can do okay on ones where there is a damage boost or adds live a long time. However, a lot of the performance has to be specifically talented/glyphed.

12/07/2012 10:00 AMPosted by Sharrow
If you don't have the T14 4-piece, DP is at least as good as the other L75 talents and brings up sustained DPS at the expense of some burst DPS. If you're concerned about everything being in the burst, look at taking DP.

Pretty sure DP is the lowest performing talent, even without 4 set and it gets worse with 4p.

So yeah you'll top charts if you're a better player than the rest of the raid, but with that same skill and effort you can pull even better numbers as another class. Depends how much you like the playstyle honestly.
Edited by Tbolt on 12/7/2012 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]