Will destruction become extinct?

90 Human Warlock
It seems every xpac they make destruction half decent at the beginning of every xpac and they always nerf it to the ground, honestly the secret nerf on Chaos Bolt in 5.1 lowering its damage about 20% was a little harsh? I mean it leaves a tiny dot now since 5.1 but still destruction locks are toward the bottom of the list.

If Blizzard favors affliction only, why don't they just remove the specs of classes they dont care about.

Affliction 3rd Max DPS / 3rd Realistic DPS
Demonology 8th Max DPS / 12th Realistic DPS
Destruction 17th Max DPS / 16th Realistic DPS

( ^--- This is out of 26 total ranks ---- ^ )

I just don't understand what the development team is thinking. Destruction warlocks are similar to mages being direct damage.
Edited by Cristiana on 12/6/2012 2:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I like Destro a lot right now. People put too much stock into theoretical DPS sometimes over playstyle preference.

and there wasn't a secret nerf on CB, the change was that GoSac causes CB to leave a DoT which does 25% more damage. By no means tiny.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
"Just wait, when Ulduar comes out Destro is going to kick !@#!...."

Yeah kinda feels like there is a pattern
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Something was changed in it though, my tooltip pre 5.1 chaos bolt with same buffs post 5.1 and with a blue weapon did 450 - 680k damage, now I see 240k If I'm lucky I get 450k.

"Chaos Bolt deals 25% additional damage over 3 sec." basically 1/4 of its damage dealt over 3 sec, we dropped a number of ranks just like last expansion. Destro was high on damage output, but honestly destruction has been kicked to the curb a lot.

I just wish playing destruction was actually worth it in raids, aside from the (Havoc) but then again I get the cataclysm bug where clicking on a new target causes my cast to hit my last target like it was doing in cata.
Edited by Cristiana on 12/6/2012 2:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Destruction was never good in PvE to begin with before the Chaos Bolt nerf. And the nerf only affects PvE substantially if you're chain casting Chaos Bolts (and possibly not even then, I've heard, but not confirmed, that the DoT is extended in this case so that you cannot clip ticks).
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Noxxic has destro ranked like 6 I heard last patch.

Even chaining chaos bolts isnt an issue unless you have a ton of haste (Fail) or heroism/bloodlust is active.

3.0sec base - haste (lets say 2.8sec) - your latency = negligable amount of time.

Backdraft + chaos Bolt = a big no no too.
Edited by Cristiana on 12/6/2012 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
It does clip ticks.

The easiest way to buff destro is to honestly just up immolate damage by 10%. Or add a dot to Conflag that deals 10% extra damage over 5 seconds and let the dots stack.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Also NOTE:

This isnt meant to be a QQ thread, I'm just wondering why destruction doesn't output more and what the developers are thinking, constantly flattening a spec.

I'm sure by 5.4 it'll only pull 60k dps they'll just nerf it into oblivion like in cata.
Edited by Cristiana on 12/6/2012 3:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It does clip ticks.

The easiest way to buff destro is to honestly just up immolate damage by 10%. Or add a dot to Conflag that deals 10% extra damage over 5 seconds and let the dots stack.

Easiest solution would be to let Pandemic affect the CB DoT from GoSac.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I personally love destruction more than the other specs. Never really got into affliction although I'm wanting to try to learn it, but really my heart is with Destruction and I really dont wanna reroll a mage.

I loved the tanking of demonology in beta, I really wish we could keep it but people QQd about having a cloth tank (I mean we have leather tanks, why not a cloth viable tank or a shaman tank?)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Destro really pulls ahead when you can cast CB(or triple SB) with BoH on cooldown. Will, Garalon, Amber Shaper, Elegon and Tsu'long are among the best encounters for Destro.

Still, Destro could really use some single target help. Buffing Incinerate, Conflag or Immolate (or all of them) would help it keep up with Afflic. Failing that, they could just nerf Afflic.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I wish that Blizzard would still favor Affliction in PvP. It's so bad right now in PvP.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warlock
12/06/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Psyops
I wish that Blizzard would still favor Affliction in PvP. It's so bad right now in PvP.

Finding things tougher now without tab-dottable RBG's, hmm?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Wasn't destro actually buffed with the patch, allowing conflagrate to generate embers and rain of fire to do so unconditionally rather than requiring immolation?

Its nicer than it sounds, since enemies aren't always in a tight 8 yard radius around your target, or they spawn/come in gradually.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Wasn't destro actually buffed with the patch, allowing conflagrate to generate embers and rain of fire to do so unconditionally rather than requiring immolation?

Its nicer than it sounds, since enemies aren't always in a tight 8 yard radius around your target, or they spawn/come in gradually.

Yes, Destro was buffed in 5.1.
Also, Destro was consistently buffed in Cata, culminating in a 4pc set bonus which made the most annoying mechanic in the game bearable.
The only thing that consistently gets nerfed about Destro is its burst.

OP doesn't know what they're talking about.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
It does clip ticks.

I thought it WASN'T supposed to clip ticks : " The additional damge Grimoire of Sacrifice grants to Chaos Bolt is now dealt over 3 seconds. this damage over time behaves in a manner similar to a Mage's Ignite, where each new damage over time effect rolls into the previous one. This means that no damage is lost if a new damage over time component is re-applied before an existing one fades."

Could someone clarify this for me ?

Oh and the Rain of Fire stun removal is noticeable in random battle grounds... I used the hell out of that and now i miss it :(
Edited by Georgeahni on 12/6/2012 7:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/06/2012 06:26 PMPosted by Saßr

Finding things tougher now without tab-dottable RBG's, hmm?

What? It's easier now if anything. Tunnelling damage into a single target isn't very difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
People tested it, it does not clip ticks. You get every last tick from chaosbolt they hotfixed it almost immediately after the gosac change.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Cristiana
Noxxic has destro ranked like 6 I heard last patch.

Thats right it was 6th... from the bottom. Its gone up since the last patch.

Anyway, destro is weak atm in pve but in pvp its pretty good. While I only pvp on the side when i'm bored lining up 2 CBs on someone and watching their health plummet is a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
eZs
Wait, what's this about a dot on chaos bolt? I never got a dot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]