How do weapons affect our auto-attacks?

56 Pandaren Monk
Monks auto-attack without using their weapons, but is this just in animation? Are my auto-attacks doing damage based off of the weapons I have equipped? What's the difference between DW and 2H (I know that question gets asked a lot but specifically, how is my off-hand auto-attack being affected)? How is Jab affected by weapon choice?
Edited by Furypaw on 12/6/2012 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Monk auto-attack is the same as any other dual wield dps. We hit with both our main hand and offhand, based on our weapon dps, attack speed, and attack power for the end result. With monks specifically, using a 2h weapon gives you 40% greater attack speed, while with dual wield you get 40% (going from memory, correct me if I'm wrong) increased attack damage. Basically, if you hit for 1000 normally, by dual wielding you now hit for 1400.

Jab is affected by weapon damage and attack power. Weapon choice merely changes what the icon and ability for jab is called. It's still the same jab even if its called Sever, Clobber, etc.
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
Ok thank you
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
One thing I'm still not quite certain of. Monks auto-attack with both hands, even when dual wielding. Is this just animation, and I'm attacking @ 2H weapon speed (despite it mocking dual wield)?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/09/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Furypaw
One thing I'm still not quite certain of. Monks auto-attack with both hands, even when dual wielding. Is this just animation, and I'm attacking @ 2H weapon speed (despite it mocking dual wield)?

All purely animation. The actual mechanics of monk attacks are no different than any other melee class.
Reply Quote
56 Pandaren Monk
My gut told me it was all animation, but my eyes were mislead! LOL Thank you both very much. The monk makes me feel so nubish. The closest I've seen to "equip a staff, fight like a dual wielder" was with feral druids., but their attack speed is fixed and they can't actually dual wield. Playing a monk had me perplexed o_O.
Edited by Furypaw on 12/10/2012 4:11 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]