Best RPG I need to play

90 Human Monk
So I was wondering what is the must play RPG of all time. The only rpg I played has been final fantasy 13. I hated the story but I loved the battle system (made me feel smart lol).

I think I might want to sink some time into one but there have been so many. Is there one or two that are must have's. I will probably be playing on my ps3 so if I can get it on there it's a plus.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If any of the Mass Effect games or the Witcher 2 are on the PS3 I'd definitely pick them up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite. Fun combat, engrossing world, and just fantastic NPC's with some great dialogue. Chris Avellone headed the writing, so you know it's good.
Reply Quote
75 Human Mage
Dragon Age:Origins
The Mass Effect trilogy(3rd is debatable quality wise, but it is still an excellent RPG trilogy)
Edited by Shakuras on 12/6/2012 4:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
15 Goblin Shaman
Planescape: Torment
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
KOTOR 1 and 2. I've also enjoyed Skyrim, Saints Row The Third, and the Assassin's Creed franchise.
Reply Quote
43 Blood Elf Warrior
Xenoblade Chronicles.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/06/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Lobotomized
Planescape: Torment

Just a heads up, this game is often initially a bit difficult to get into. Honestly, this probably has the best story and atmosphere of any rpg to date, but the focus on dialogue instead of fighting may put some players off. My first time through, I got as far as Pharod, lost interest, and put it down. Second time through I played through the whole game, and it became my favorite RPG.
Edited by Kurnea on 12/7/2012 5:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
lunar 1 & 2, final fantasy 2 (4) & 3 (6), chrono trigger, kotor 1 and 2.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/06/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Shakuras
Dragon Age:Origins

Ditto to this. Great game.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
Rift Storm Legion, it's epic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dark Souls
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

$19.99
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Final Fantasy XIII is by far and away the worst FF of the main series and it can barely be considered an RPG. (And yes, I have played the original Final Fantasy II on the NES.)

If you liked that one, you should look at Final Fantasy X. Unlike XIII, it has a good story, likable character, a flexible (for a Japanese RPG) character customization system, and a really fun turn-based party battle system. Square-Enix is making an HD version of it (and it's probably going to be the PAL version with the additional stuff to beat) so you might not even have to get a PS2 if you're patient.

I'd also recommend the classic Final Fantasy games (5, 6, 7) which are in my opinion a lot better then 10, but those are really outdated (graphically) and if you started with 13 I don't know how much you'd tolerate 2D graphics and blocky 3D graphics from the early PS1 era.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
wait for Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for PS3. Been waiting anxiously for this game for a few years now. Excellent art by studio ghibli and made by level 5 who has a great track record with Dragon Quest VIII and the Dark Cloud games.

http://www.ign.com/games/ni-no-kuni/ps3-14284017

The demo is out on the PSN and I freakin loved it. It's got a youthful theme so don't expect serious subject matter...that is if you considered FFXIII serious subject matter, as I considered it embarrassingly dumb but don't get me started on Final Fantasy how the series has gone to the crapper over the past decade.

If you're looking for past JRPGs then I would look at Tales of Vesperia but that's for the 360. For Western RPGs i've had the most fun with Skyrim. I would say Mass Effect but the ending of the trilogy ticked me off so much I can't bring myself to recommend it.
Edited by Koopo on 12/7/2012 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Skyrim - wonderful experience, especially if you don't exploit the crafting system. It's the kind of game where you can turn off the UI and just wander around soaking up the atmosphere.

Dragon Age: Origins - Finally a game that lets you inhabit different characters via separate stories and prologues for each race.

Might and Magic 6 and 7 - These are two of my favorite of all time. The graphics are horrible by modern standards (weren't that great when they came out either). But I can still go back and enjoy them today.

All of the ones touched on here are good. Really it depends on how far back into gaming history you want to go and what your definition of an RPG is. Games like Anachronox and Arx Fatalis are great if you don't mind a trip back, as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Chrono Trigger admittedly doesn't have the most epic or mature of storylines, but what it does put out is a fairly entertaining game with an interesting system of combo attacks and some of the greatest music to ever come to videogames in general.

If you're into strategy games, I'd also highly recommend Final Fantasy: Tactics (which, last I recall, you buy the updated rerelease off at least the iOS store). It's one of the few FFs that poses a legitimate challenge throughout nearly the entire game... admittedly with a few fights that'd genuinely make you want to tear your hair out (Protip: If you ever get into a multi-part battle, MAKE A SEPARATE SAVE FILE; or, look up spoilerless walkthroughs so you can prep for those). The story is usually considered one of the most compelling in the entire franchise, with characters you can both fully sympathize with and find to be absolutely repugnant monsters. This goes doubly so for War of the Lions, which re-did the original's... spotty translation. And the soundtrack... Well, let me put it this way: When the first battle starts with 'Trisection', you know you're in for something good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tu5tLE4flc
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Xenogears

The Last Remnant

Final Fantasy X

Dragon Age: Origins

Valkyrie Profile

Also suggest Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle
Reply Quote
Skies of arcadia: legends

Super Mario RPG legend of the seven stars
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
NMB
Play Final Fantasy 7 or try one of the Elder Scrolls games.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]