Best RPG I need to play

85 Human Paladin
It depends on what type of game you like to play. Making the wrong choice could turn you off of RPGs forever.

If you would prefer a game that gives you a lot of freedom to roam around a wide open world in a non-linear manner with a ton of side quests that you can choose to complete, go with a Bethesda game like Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim (swords and magic) or Fallout 3/New Vegas (guns and medicine).

If you would prefer a more linear game that puts a lot of focus on dialogue choices and relationships with NPCs, but still has a ton of side quests, go with a BioWare game like Dragon Age: Origins (swords and magic with tactical battles) or Mass Effect (guns and psychic abilities). The Star Wars: KOTOR games are also fun but they might seem outdated by today's standards and they don't include adult content (meaning sex) like the other BioWare games do.

If you prefer more traditional RPGs that focus on stylish Japanime and musical score as much as (if not more than) the actual gameplay and story, go with a game like Star Ocean or Tales of Graces.

Finally, if you like to try RPGs that are unique, have massive boss battles, and that could be challenging enough to make you want to throw your controller through the TV screen, try Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Pool of Radiance is my favorite RPG of all-time. Non-linear, bar fights, NPCs you could hire and then kill for their gear while in battle. So many wonderful things in that one.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Baldur's Gate 2(with expansion Shadows of Amn)
The Bard's Tale
The first AD&D computer game: Pool of Radiance
Ultima series, especialy IV and V

The OP said he will be playing on a PS3.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Baldur's Gate 2(with expansion Shadows of Amn)
The Bard's Tale
The first AD&D computer game: Pool of Radiance
Ultima series, especialy IV and V

The OP said he will be playing on a PS3.

That's his own damn fault. =D
Reply Quote
The Shining Force series !@#$s all over em all - Try it!

Shining Force 2 was by far the best.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Well if you still have a ps2 or ps Vita i would really recommend Persona 4(Ps2) or Persona 4 Golden(Ps Vita, especially this version of the game freaking love it). 2 other games i would try that's on the Ps3 would be Star Ocean: The last Hope International version and Tales of Graces F.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Like someone else said, try out chrono trigger. I don't know for sure but its probably downloadable from the PS3 marketplace.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
It depends on what type of game you like to play. Making the wrong choice could turn you off of RPGs forever.

If you would prefer a game that gives you a lot of freedom to roam around a wide open world in a non-linear manner with a ton of side quests that you can choose to complete, go with a Bethesda game like Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim (swords and magic) or Fallout 3/New Vegas (guns and medicine).

If you would prefer a more linear game that puts a lot of focus on dialogue choices and relationships with NPCs, but still has a ton of side quests, go with a BioWare game like Dragon Age: Origins (swords and magic with tactical battles) or Mass Effect (guns and psychic abilities). The Star Wars: KOTOR games are also fun but they might seem outdated by today's standards and they don't include adult content (meaning sex) like the other BioWare games do.

If you prefer more traditional RPGs that focus on stylish Japanime and musical score as much as (if not more than) the actual gameplay and story, go with a game like Star Ocean or Tales of Graces.

Finally, if you like to try RPGs that are unique, have massive boss battles, and that could be challenging enough to make you want to throw your controller through the TV screen, try Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma.

This was pretty helpful. I would prefer a desk top PC game, similar to wow, but with more choices, better balance, where there is some stability, where you do not have to learn how to replay your class periodically, and where the players themselves get to choose what they think is fun, without artificial limits on their doing it.
Edited by Shylena on 12/12/2012 12:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FF VI. If you cannot handle SNES graphics, then don't bother playing them. I'd recommend the Mario RPGs too, if you want to play it on the PC via programs.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
12/12/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Shylena
This was pretty helpful. I would prefer a desk top PC game, similar to wow, but with more choices, better balance, where there is some stability, where you do not have to learn how to replay your class periodically, and where the players themselves get to choose what they think is fun, without artificial limits on their doing it.

Great. I'd say to give Elder Scrolls: Oblivion a try. You can get the GOTY Deluxe edition from Steam for practically nothing (wait a little while for the holiday sale to start), so it will be worth it in case you end up not liking it.

There's a huge amount of freedom, enemies get more difficult based on your level (not by zone), and you can easily activate God Mode to move things along faster if you want.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Playing the wrong type of RPGs could turn you off from playing them. Depends on what you can handle, do you like turn based RPGs? Tactical RPGs? Action like combat RPGs? RPGs that give you the freedom to explore?

My personal answers to those questions:

-Turn based: Persona 4 for the PS2 or Vita. Radiant Historia for the DS. Final Fantasy 10 if you're into the FF series or if you can handle the graphics, Xenogears or Final Fantasy 6

-Action-based: Dragon Age: Origins though if you turn up the difficultity, you can turn it into a tactical game. Witcher 2 as well.

-Tactical: Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Orge for the PSP

-Freedom RPG: Xenoblade if you can find it for the Wii or Skyrim for the PC
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/06/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Kurnea
Fallout: New Vegas is my favorite. Fun combat, engrossing world, and just fantastic NPC's with some great dialogue. Chris Avellone headed the writing, so you know it's good.

My favorite game of all time. I don't know why, but nothing beats New Vegas for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Must play of all time, that's rough.

I must say Mass Effect Series as a whole is probably best imo.

But as individual games go; Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate, Skyrim, Fallout 3, DragonAge Origins are all great RPGs.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Rogue
Go to the PSN on your PS3 and buy every one of the PlayStation rpgs. You got ton's of the greats on there. FF's, chrono cross/trigger, legend of dragoon, the list goes on. Pretty much if it's an rpg and it's up there it's worth a play through.

Alternatively. if you don't want to spend all that money go find an emulator (pretty sure know one cares about emulating old games these days) and get all the old rpgs and play them that way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]