The honor grind is a bad system

100 Worgen Druid
I doubt some agree but to me its true. When you have bots, people who afk, or just sit in back to soak honor instead of actually participating, it just seems like something blizzard needs to rethink.

Personally i've come to agree with the people who say to just start out with honor gear, if you want to gear up passed that? rated bg's and arena is for you.

Im not saying this because i just want easy epics. As it stands currently, i can run in and do a AV on its holiday weekend and have almost 2 characters fully honor geared. Honor gear is easy to get. My dislike for this system is what i previously said... the bots. people who just go in there and do nothing and don't care if they win or lose, they just want the honor points... What would be the point of people doing this anymore if their gear is already secured?

But i still think some sort of grind should be involved or whats the motivation for people to do battlegrounds. I would say put in a grind system that rewards for actually participating and coordinating.. In turn you would actually get people who are there to succeed. well... hopefully...

Give medals or something for performing certain actions in battlegrounds. Do it enough over time you get rewarded for it.

Defending a cap 2000 times or what not.. good job! heres some transmog gear that looks heavily damaged.
Killed a flag killer <random number of times> ... great! heres something that makes it when you crit someone they have a bleeding animation.

can really have alot of rewards for different aspects of actually participating in the battleground...
heal or dps alot near the flag carrier, do a ridiculous amount of healing or damage in a certain area of the map, it really can be endless. As the same with what you can be rewarded with..

transmog gear, pets, mounts, titles, maybe even offer some rewards that will change how some of your spells or swings in how they look.. change the color, change the animation. I'm sure there's many other ideas that people can come up with.

Personally i enjoy pvp. Im not a hardcore pvper or very casual. I dont join battlegrounds to farm gear, i join for the challenge and want to have fun. Be it im grouped or queing alone.. winning or get ripped apart.. its still fun...

My little rant.. im just annoyed with those who are in battlegrounds to get honor with the least amount of participation possible. bots, honor soakers, afkers, the ones who sit on noob hill, the ones who for some make battlegrounds lame.
Edited by Lankynibs on 12/6/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I strongly dislike participation awards.
Which is what most people that play wow feel they are entitled to.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I strongly dislike participation awards.
Which is what most people that play wow feel they are entitled to.

While that is true you have to irked when you do something to win a bg and the guy who afk'ed at spawn point got nearly as much honor as you did or the guy who sat in mid the whole game and ignored the flag and received more honor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
OP I couldn't disagree with you more. For one remove the grind & the incentive to win for most players is gone. The result? Mindless death matches. As for your other ideas I have zero interest in token awards so they would just be insulting.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Just reward no honor for the losing team. It's simple really.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
OP I couldn't disagree with you more. For one remove the grind & the incentive to win for most players is gone. The result? Mindless death matches. As for your other ideas I have zero interest in token awards so they would just be insulting.

From what i have over the years and has been getting worse most players already don't care about winning.

Seems to fall into 4 groups

Bot/leeches:These people believe they should be handed everything for free
I play for fun bro:These people are the ones who ignore gem slots and enchants and wonder why they lose so much when someone suggests they gem/enchant there gear they will respond with "i play for fun bro".
Midfield heroes:These people will run to mid and stay there the whole game even if they don't get any kills.
Objective players:Know how to win the bg and focus on completing a objective aka these are the players who are taking a 3rd base in EOTs or calling out the exit the efc took in WSG. These players know that you have to keep someone on a node in AB and understand that you can keep a node by simply stopping the enemy from capping it and staying alive for as long as you can.

Now ofc the groups are not set in stone sometimes a midfield hero will kill a efc passing by or a i play for fun bro will happen to cap a flag but for the most part these players will ignore playing the objective.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Shadow I agree with you 100%. In fact I was thinking about making a thread about the various categories of players, but your ideas are pretty close to what I was going to say.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

Pretty much the incentive to win right now is getting honor faster, which as i said, in a span of a weekend a need for honor is gone with how fast you can get honor geared. You wouldnt want something more to keep it interesting? Having a objective based grind that takes work in compared to the current honor grind that is pretty fast and easy to achieve?

Personally i think that would actually put people in the position to not be a mindless death match since they have something to work towards still to win... the result right now is already mindless death matches with alot of games unless youre running a premade which still you get the people who sit around doing nothing.

You might find it insulting to get some sort of reward that isnt gear even though honor gear right now is easy to get anyways, why not have some other rewards for actually doing something? I find it insulting i actually try in a bg and someone be it a person or a bot, sits around and does nothing and comes out doing just as good.

In all if you dont like my ideas thats fine and respected. Im not saying i know how to fix it all and make it perfect. But i still go with the current system is flawed and easily abused. Im just throwing out ideas to possibly improve it.

Edit: i think blizzard could do alot more to improve the current system
Edited by Lankynibs on 12/7/2012 7:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Bring back skirmishes for people who just want to play or practice actual pvp..
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Jugaa that would probably work, i remember it use to be like that long ago..

I still believe though that getting away from the honor grind and replacing it with some other grind that actually requires people to participate to achieve something will eliminate alot of the bots and the people who just sit around soaking honor
Edited by Lankynibs on 12/7/2012 8:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Jugaa
Just reward no honor for the losing team. It's simple really.

And watch que times shoot up when a certain side is losing matches consecutively. This might work when bgs are always 50/50 win loss ratios. But it's not rare for a alliance or horde to lose for hours on end when better players are queing for each respective side.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I definitely think it'd be cool to receive some transmog gear for completing competitive BG achievements actually.

But dear lord, dont make it like TF2 hat status.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]