Grand Empress

90 Human Priest
My group is having a hard time healing the damage on Grand Empress. Is this normal? I'm at around 80k hps and the other two healers are around 50k hps and we still can't keep everyone up. We are having the ones that get the aoe debuff step into the fields. I'm just wondering if any other groups had problems healing through the damage on this fight or if our healers just need to step it up?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
What phase are you having trouble with? I assume its phase 3, but the way you wrote it, sounds like phase 1 issues.

Phase 1 - You have to coordinate cooldowns, even on normal, for the dissonance fields (at least for a first kill. afterwards, you can get by without it most likely).

Phase 3 - you don't have to top everyone off. calamity does more if you are trying to top everyone off. That being said, its not as lenient as anubarak was in ToC (there you literally could not heal anyone at all... here you do need some modicum of healing on people). Generally speaking, I had no problems with mana even on a first kill even when I was aoe healing (with some mixed in single targets for people who dipped low).

make sure healers get dispels and that healers are prioritized. I saved my tremor for when 2 healers got feared.

Phase 2 - There will be a huge damage spike on tanks at the start of the phase. THAT is where you want single target cds etc. on the tanks. Don't aoe chain stun the adds, because they will come out of the stun and sonic strike the tank in unison which will most likely kill him.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Kinda hard to tell unless there's context behind those numbers. Just because you pull off 80k hps and the other two are pulling 50k hps doesn't mean they're slacking, after all you have absorbs. Logs would do more justice in telling the true story.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
We were having some trouble with this as well (not killed her yet) and I think it largely had to do with not quite good enough dissonance staggering. Make sure the person who has the debuff not only hops in, but continues to cast like a mofo while in there. I don't think we were doing this effectively and so we lost some people to that (them exploding too close together)

We were wiping primarily on p2 though.
Edited by Fluffy on 12/6/2012 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sorry guys, I realize I didn't really provide a lot of information on what parts we were having trouble with, but Gardiff hit the nail on the head. I appreciate the prompt replies. I feel like we should get her down tomorrow. thanks guys.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Could you provide what other 2 healers you run with as well? (and maybe full raid comp for more pointy tips)

Dissonance fields are almost trivialized by having a disc priest in the raid really so for so long as people are not stupid enough to stay in a field till it blows up getting them killed whilst immune to heals, it should be quite simple.

Pre spirit shell PoH the first dissonnance field of every p1, this should trivialize topping people off between DF1&2. You can then take your time/be efficient at picking up players from the second DF.

Your SS will be back up between DF3&4 so use it again for DF4, even if people weren't completely topped from DF3, the absorbs will prevent anyone from dying. Make sure one of them (usually the one with the weakest aoe healing on kinda ungrouped target) spot heals lower players back up so no range dies from 2 back to back random hits following a DF.

Assuming you pre SS first DF but still struggle on the DF3&4 transition, just use one or two of the raids' 3 mins cooldowns be it tide, revival, devo aura etc. If you take your time on adds phases (which is both good for dps and healers regen as it allows to generate 2 amber traps), the 3 mins CD will be back up for the next transition of DF3&4 so you really only need to have a single class within your whole raid comp that has a 3 mins cooldown to compensate.
Edited by Keau on 12/6/2012 9:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
12/06/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Ronfår
My group is having a hard time healing the damage on Grand Empress. Is this normal? I'm at around 80k hps and the other two healers are around 50k hps and we still can't keep everyone up. We are having the ones that get the aoe debuff step into the fields. I'm just wondering if any other groups had problems healing through the damage on this fight or if our healers just need to step it up?

I really wanted to just comment you on your wonderful character name and reference.

Lunar: Eternal Blue is an amazing game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This fight is tricky for disc. General strategy is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794980143

But a mini-convo on dissonance fields starts here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794980143?page=15#284
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Please don't follow this guide. With all due respect Twistedmind, the log you have provided in the Grand Empress kill is super sub optimal. Here are a few details as to why, I hope you read this as a mean to help you improve rather than just an insult.

Spirit Shell was used only 5 times out of a 9m 40s encounter. Archangel only once - Yet when paired, a single disc can solo pre-heal a full dissonance fields' AOE damage (and it turns out to be fully efficient which is awesome for raid mana).

SS should be used at least twice during each p1, preferably once during each P2 even if it's just to spam cheap heals on tanks to save mana as it makes it scale w mastery, and then on cooldown through p3. It should also really never be a problem to have 5 stacks of evangelism up for each SS through P1s...and while this may sound a little more hectic, it should also be used for P3 SSs.

The true reason why I'm saying not to follow the guide is because spirit shell is way better used to absorb an incoming DF explosion than to try to make the guy with cry of terror do no raid damage whatsoever. A few tick is a joke to heal through. While it is indeed very nice to put absorbs fast on the guy with Cry of Terror, wasting SS on it is completely out of line. Player stepping out of DF to receive 1-2 heal won't wipe your raid - 2 DFs within a short period with mishandled healing will, yet a good disc alone can fully handle the burst aoe from DFs1 and 4 making the only real wipe factor either mana or p2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]