Prot Paladin mastery soft cap?

90 Draenei Paladin
I'm transitioning from avoidance tank to mitigation/control tank via mastery. Fully buffed, I'm pushing 11k mastery. I'm using reforgenator to help me reforge close to hit/exp hardcaps, and while it's not as good as reforgelite (which isn't updated yet), it gets the job done.

Until recently, reforgenator was always reforging excess avoidance into mastery. But now, it's starting to suggest I reforge to haste instead. At first I thought it was a bug with capes because it was the only thing it was suggesting, but now it's multiple pieces.

Is there a mastery softcap after which haste becomes better to stack? I'm aware of people stacking haste, but I've never heard of doing both mastery and haste.

edit: fwiw, I got 2 ring upgrades this week and it seems like 10500 or so is where reforgenator starts pushing haste

edit:Simply clicking off the 3000 mastery buff causes reforgenator to go back to suggesting mastery
Edited by Slalin on 12/6/2012 9:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
There's no soft cap that I know of.

It's probably an issue with the addon's stat weights or programming.
Reply Quote
81 Human Warrior
Mastery and haste trade blows when it comes to damage reduction. It's probably just trying to keep your stats even. When it comes to haste/mastery there are three schools of theory . Hit/exp then haste, hit/exp then mastery, or hit/exp and a balance of haste/mastery. From what I've gathered on EJ it comes down to personal preference or based on certain fights.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/07/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Waifu
Mastery and haste trade blows when it comes to damage reduction. It's probably just trying to keep your stats even. When it comes to haste/mastery there are three schools of theory . Hit/exp then haste, hit/exp then mastery, or hit/exp and a balance of haste/mastery. From what I've gathered on EJ it comes down to personal preference or based on certain fights.

I was doing the hit/exp then mastery scheme and wasn't planning on using haste, but apparently there's a point where haste becomes better than mastery for the mastery scheme. It's real close to 10k because simply swapping mastery elixir for haste elixir made the sims happy. So looks like we're supposed to use haste no matter what for control.

Will be interesting swapping out my 489 mastery stuff for 496 haste stuff. I'm thinking about getting enough haste to reach the first haste breakpoint, then going back to stacking mastery until the sims start having me reforge to haste again, then I'll get the next haste breakpoint, etc

Maybe. But it kinda makes sense too.

Mastery provides two mitigation benefits...additional chance to block and additional mitigation from SotR. Haste doesn't do anything for block, but it increases the uptime of SotR. Looking at SotR, mastery benefits it additively, whereas haste benefits it multiplicatively. Once mastery is high enough, getting a percent increase in uptime would give more benefit than getting that marginal increase in mitigation instead.

Maybe someone can get Theck to crunch the numbers :/
Edited by Slalin on 12/8/2012 7:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/08/2012 03:09 AMPosted by Slalin

I was doing the hit/exp then mastery scheme and wasn't planning on using haste, but apparently there's a point where haste becomes better than mastery for the mastery scheme. It's real close to 10k because simply swapping mastery elixir for haste elixir made the sims happy. So looks like we're supposed to use haste no matter what for control.

Will be interesting swapping out my 489 mastery stuff for 496 haste stuff. I'm thinking about getting enough haste to reach the first haste breakpoint, then going back to stacking mastery until the sims start having me reforge to haste again, then I'll get the next haste breakpoint, etc

Maybe. But it kinda makes sense too.

Mastery provides two mitigation benefits...additional chance to block and additional mitigation from SotR. Haste doesn't do anything for block, but it increases the uptime of SotR. Looking at SotR, mastery benefits it additively, whereas haste benefits it multiplicatively. Once mastery is high enough, getting a percent increase in uptime would give more benefit than getting that marginal increase in mitigation instead.

Maybe someone can get Theck to crunch the numbers :/

That's what I've always thought about it. I've always wondered why people say you have to choose to stack haste or mastery. Wouldn't the best choice be both?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No cap on mastery. Its on its own mitigation table now, therefor, no caps. The cap that was once used was when we could CTC cap. That is no longer possible, so the cap is no longer their since mastery acts completely separately.

That's what I've always thought about it. I've always wondered why people say you have to choose to stack haste or mastery. Wouldn't the best choice be both?
Both won't yield the same results as purely going for one or the other. The haste/mastery builds both work around heavily stacking haste / mastery to get the most benefits from em.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/08/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Holoo
No cap on mastery. Its on its own mitigation table now, therefor, no caps. The cap that was once used was when we could CTC cap. That is no longer possible, so the cap is no longer their since mastery acts completely separately.

Well, to be pedantic, it does soft cap when block reaches 100%. :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]