I'll play arcane but..

90 Troll Mage
It's so clunky. Rune of power isn't all that fun and from what i can tell is kind of the only way to go as arcane. Invocation isn't fun either but at least you can move for 40 seconds.. Maybe something could be done like the warlocks bottom talent that lets them move while casting but slows them, just add that to just evocation when you have Invocation. Arcane missiles while moving would also be a great change.

I hate being stuck with a talent because it is the lesser of three bad talents. Shouldn't they be a fun choice or an interesting choice? From what I have seen blizzard hasn't said anything about these talents or that they have any plans to change them. Having to set up my little rune everywhere I move and every minute is annoying, especially when the mana regen is so important to arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Thought of more stuff I forgot. If arcane charges are really a "new resource" then make something in the ui for them. The debuff is not a good way to track them, it is old fashion and I should not have set up weakauras to make it look like something that should be default. Also take away the duration, that will help with the lack of arcanes movement, unless AM while moving becomes a thing(please!) Arcanes damage is really good right now, but playing it is as clunky as ever, thanks for the barrage cleave and a dot but there is a lot of room for improvement to make the spec more fun to play.
Reply Quote
feeding a trollolololol
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
LOL, ill play arcane but... blizz needs to change it back to the way it was in cata first.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Arcane is just marred with problems at the moment.

1.) ROP is the only talent in the level 90 tree that works with it.
2.) Haste/Mastery are too close in terms of stat weights.
3.) Scorch weaving is a thing now, stacks never need to be cleared.
4.) There is only a 1-2% DPS loss for keeping mana at 70% rather than 90%

Yes, it pumps out good numbers right now, but mechanically it's just flawed.
Edited by Mumrit on 12/7/2012 6:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Been trying arcane on my Mage alt and Incanter's Ward has worked for me, I hardly fall below 85% mana and using it before you take damage is nice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The spec is pure torture to play.
Reply Quote

I don't understand #2.

Isn't having equal stat weightings a good thing?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I won't play arcane at all. It's stupid, immobile, and I still do more dps as fire. It uses different gear, and I don't particularly feel like getting more gear for a spec I hate playing.

I'll stay fire until they fix it again, or I'll go frost. You won't catch me dead throwing out purple orbs. (lol dead)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

I don't understand #2.

Isn't having equal stat weightings a good thing?

It's a matter of opinion. I don't think it is, especially with haste out pacing mastery until high levels of haste.

Arcane should use mastery (mage armor)
Frost should use haste (frost armor)
Fire should use crit (molten armor)

When that's not the case I get grumpy.
Reply Quote
Arcane is really fun to play. Far more interesting/challenging than fire. Rune is an annoyance, however it's just another method of increasing the skill gap in the spec.
Reply Quote
I honestly didn't think it was possible to make me hate arcane even more than I did in Cata.

But somehow, of course, Blizzard managed it.

Damn you Blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/07/2012 06:14 AMPosted by Rainmkr
LOL, ill play arcane but... blizz needs to change it back to the way it was in cata first.

Arcane in cata was as boring as specs come.

there are just too many things about arcane that aren't fun. It's not challenging, it's just not fun to play. I play this game to have fun but I also play to get things done and not weigh people down first. So if that means playing something that isn't the most fun I'll do it. I would just rather have more fun, don't know what that is such a bad thing to happen in a game. Even if the damage is lowered to make up for something like moving while AM, I'll take a small hit to make it more enjoyable.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I think arcane is a little boring at times but there's also a lot of things you can do in raid to keep your interest. On garalon you can use incanter's ward and do amazing damage. With constant pheromone damage you can use it on cooldown. Burn 20% mana, save two charges of missiles, pop ward, use missiles, burn a bit if you have mana gem and use arcane power otherwise try to conserve until ward comes off cooldown. If you're hurting for mana, don't use ward right away and regen a bit. The passive on incanter's ward is actually pretty darn good and the active is the best active of the three 90 talents for bursting.

Maybe it's not viable for all fights but it's interesting to test out and personally I was topping damage on Garalon over better geared people. Scorch offers good movement dps and a chance to proc missiles. I think the spec is much better off than in cata, and the level 90 talents are almost made for arcane. Unfortunately that means they are a pain for the other two specs, but that's a different conversation all together.

Arcane barrage cleaving is also another dynamic ability that I personally have not mastered yet, but offers another variability in gameplay.

I almost get the feeling that they nerfed fire/buffed arcane just to get people to try out arcane again. It's not as bad as people think, I just wish the level 90 talents applied as well to the other specs as they do to arcane (both thematically and mechanically).
Edited by Halfawake on 12/8/2012 2:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Just play frost then, or even fire. Most of the people who play this game do better as a class/spec they enjoy, not the one that has the greatest potential for damage.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Taymage
The spec is pure torture to play.

Some people are into that sort of thing.
Reply Quote
Level 90 talents for mages makes this class so unfun to play I wish Blizzard would comment on them and when they will be replaced.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Even Cata Arcane was more fun than Arcane is now. At least there were SOME nuances to it like managing your mana.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
12/08/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Fielton
Even Cata Arcane was more fun than Arcane is now. At least there were SOME nuances to it like managing your mana.

Umm we do manage our mana very carefully amongst Missle procs, Arcane Blasing and scorch weaving. Mana should be maintained between 80-85% to 95% (close to 100 without hitting it).

Above is with 2 piece Tier 14.
Reply Quote
This thread is entertaining. Some of the best mages in the world are switching to arcane and discussing how challenging it is to optimize performance in a variety of situations...and most mages on the forums are still in the lolarcansoeasy mindset.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]